72: Community Forums
73: Community Forums
74: Photo Gallery
75: Community Forums
76: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Sky Patrol on alert!!!
This forum is for those interested in Radio Control flying or RC aircraft! Post the pic's of your planes, discuss flying techniques, how to build them, ETC...
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  RC Flying

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:53 am
Post subject: Re: Sky Patrol on alert!!!

Richard, thank you for the great resource - lots of excellent information there, particularly the sticky thread that has links to specific Guillows conversions.

I have been aching to build another Guillows Aeronca Champ ever since the one I built as a display model - I told myself I would build one for myself some day, so this morning I went to a hobby shop in the next town over and...voila, they had a kit sitting on their shelf (lots of WW1 kits also), with exception to some subtle updates it's the exact same kit I built as a kid!

So with the day off I'm cleaning up the basement a little bit to set up a workspace, then off to Lowe's for some 1" foam to make a building board out of, some Titebond and a fresh set of X-Acto blades and we're in business!

Thanks for the tip and I wish you great success with that beautiful Fairchild!

JG300-fr8ycat
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Very Nice. Congrats on your new purchase.

Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:15 pm

- JG300-fr8ycat
Very Nice. Congrats on your new purchase.

Thank you sir ... my eyes are going a bit crosseyed with all the info and options on electric propulsion... outrigger brushless motors and ESC's and LIPOS and mini vs micro vs ultra micro servos and the finer details of building one of these as an electric conversion. Wondering if I bit off more than I can chew here. I might just skip all that and build this one per the plans just for the pleasure of a build and something to keep my fingers busy over the winter....and then jump over to build my still-unfinished GeeBee Model Z for good ol' .46 nitro power once I've got my chops back.

Heck of a lot of great info over at that site though. Best wishes on your Fairchild and I'l be happy to share notes and progress with ya if you like!

JG300-fr8ycat
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:07 pm

I hear ya on all the options. I went around all over the net and made a list of what I think would be a nice setup but of course any of that can change. Some of my decisions were based on word of mouth or past experience with a manufacturer's products but mainly weight. I figured with as lite as these things are, keeping the weight down is one of the most important factors. And this stuff is very inexpensive now. I remember when I was building my Electric Helos about 4 years back all the micro stuff was pretty pricey but with the current list I made I can get everything I'd need to take Guillows electric for around $125 bucks and the nice thing is some of that (lipos, receiver, speed controller) can easily be removed and used in another plane.

I don't see anything wrong with building it by the plans as it was originally meant to be built just to get back into it and have a nice display model. Will probably go a long way in preparing you for another build that you can make electric if you choose to go that route in the future. You can always buy another one Wink

Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:55 am

After reading a whole lot of build logs and some other tip threads, particularly the one about building these lighter in general, I've decided to still give the electric R/C effort a try. I hear you about how the costs have come down...6 dollars for an electric motor, really? Of course then add in the speed controller and servos and all the rest, I started a spreadsheet on it but still I'm around $45 or so but that's with no transmitter yet. Nor charger, which I just finished reading about, accompanied by a few tales of fires that have started when LIPO batteries were charged the wrong way, including someone's house almost being burnt down....hmmmm maybe I'll compromise and build a really light display model, eh?

Anyway I happened to have about a two-foot long piece of 1x4" pine board by my worktable that was perfect for slapping the die-crushed part sheets on and attacked the backside with my sanding block and 100-grit sandpaper to thin all the pieces down and save weight. After about an hour of carefully mindless sanding and listening to some tasty tunes in the garage, they've gone from 1/16 down to close to 1/32, and from about 55 grams total weight to around 30 grams...and the parts literally just want to fall out of their sheets now as opposed to needing to be hacked the rest of the way out with an X-Acto knife as usual. I guess the sickness has already taken hold as I'm using my wife's kitchen scale to check parts weight now. Looks like good quality balsa wood isn't as easy to come by as it used to be, some of the part sheets seem to be made out of some type of feldspar or loose-grained granite instead of anything that looks or feels like balsa... Smile

Thinking of going with tissue and dope covering like the old days, the kit came with white tissue vs. the yellow tissue the old one I built came with (and looked damn good when finished), but this plane needs color. And 3-channel control, just rudder, elevator and throttle with some extra dihedral and washout in the wingtips....the most successful build log went that way and the guy says he put over 100 flights on it.

We shall see, but balsa sawdust has now been created so we're on the way... good luck with your builds and flights as well!

JG300-1Bullet
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Here ya go Stoopy

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

www.rcpowers.com/

You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3
JG300-fr8ycat
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Awesome Stoopy, glad to see your going forward with it. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mines in line. I gotta finish that fling 2m (just gotta put the radio in), fix my mini Fling and finish building my "Easy Answer". If I can get my 2 Flings air ready nd have something to fly, then I should be able to work on both the Easy & the Fairchild.

$6 bucks for an electric motor? Is it brushless? If you can share any good finds/deals on hardware that would be great.

Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:21 pm

- JG300-fr8ycat
Awesome Stoopy, glad to see your going forward with it. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mines in line. I gotta finish that fling 2m (just gotta put the radio in), fix my mini Fling and finish building my "Easy Answer". If I can get my 2 Flings air ready nd have something to fly, then I should be able to work on both the Easy & the Fairchild.

$6 bucks for an electric motor? Is it brushless? If you can share any good finds/deals on hardware that would be great.

Sounds like you're gonna have an awesome collection in your hangar!

I was a little off on the motor price, $7.99 instead of six bucks, but that's without the speed controller, BEC, and other acronyms. But, I looked this one up since there was another Aeronca build (or build of some Guillows 24" plane like ours) that used this motor, I believe :

www.hobbyking.com/hobb...oduct=5358

Actually maybe that might be too much motor since it says the recommended prop is a 7x3 and my Champ should need a 5" prop or thereabouts.

Some other pieces I'm considering (but haven't fully researched to see if they really match yet):

12A speed controller $7.81 (slightly higher rating than the motor, which is supposed to be the safe side):
www.hobbyking.com/hobb...oller.html
Battery pack, $6.02:
www.hobbyking.com/hobb...oller.html
Micro servos, $3.49 ea (but how good can they be at that price?):
www.hobbyking.com/hobb...roduct=663

After looking at the wood in the kit for the rudder and elevator I decided I'm also going to try to build a laminated outer skeleton for the tail surfaces using the technique shown in post #6 of this thread:
www.rcgroups.com/forum...p?t=960089

It just looks too sexy not to try! I've got the foam patterns already cut out and ready to go, and 1/32" strips cut.

Speaking of foam, in the search for a new building board surface I ran out of luck at Lowe's trying to find something suitable, but got a hot tip to try "Michael's", and arts and craft chain store (don't know if you have 'em out there?). It turns out you can buy this "hobby board" thing that's made by Elmer's, the glue people, it' a totally flat, firm, finished-paper surface 1/2" foam board that is the PERFECT size for a set of plans for planes in this size. Makes a great building surface. T-pins just push right into it easy as pie, I can't count how many times I used to bend or break pins pushing them into a hardwood building board to hold down parts. In the pic below I've got my plans plus a layer of saran wrap taped to the board, and have started to lay out and clamp pieces down in place.

Haven't glued anything yet (other than a rib I managed to break as I was cutting it out) but the build is now underway I guess....there's the foam patterns for the laminated tail surface outlines laying in place on the plans...

JG300-fr8ycat
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:59 pm

Cool, thanks for the links and will check them out. Some of the extra on my cost above yours is also on a Micro Receiver that will match my current radio. The one I've been using with the mini fling is a Hi-Tec that I was using 3-4 years ago with my RC Heli and the Ooold Futaba I still have from 22 years ago, which I had to buy a new battery for but still works so since I got em I might as well use em.

The link for the servos...does seem pretty inexpensive for servos but who knows. For that price it might be worth checking out. I've been needing to get a couple more for all my setups so I'm willing to buy them and try them out on my gliders. The 2 flings are ARF with fiberglass fuselage and tail booms so they're pretty tough and might be the perfect test wagon.

I've purchased batteries and an awesome charger from here if you want to check them out. This is the charger I bought from them and it's awesome. charges, discharges and balances. Can be hooked up to your car battery.
•NiMH/NiCD 1~15 cells ( 1.2v to 18v)
•Li-PO/Lithium Ion 1~6 series ( 3.7v to 22.2v)
•Li-Fe 1~6 series
•Sealed Lead Acid (SLA)
www.all-battery.com/Su...90203.aspx

We do have Michael's out here, my wifes into crafts and goes there often. I was gonna suggest at the begining of this thread...and forgot, I've always used a peice of (or multiple depending in the size) 2X4 ceiling tile. It's firm yet flexible for easy leveling if the surface it's sitting on isn't and pins push in easy.

Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Richard -

Thanks for the link to the charger, that looks like just the ticket. Also, thanks again for the link to that R/C forum, there are truly some incredibly talented builders over there and I'm getting a lot out of it so far.

After a little trial and error I was successful in making laminated balsa outlines for the rudder, horizontal stab and also the wingtips to save outboard weight. It was actually kinda fun once I got the process down and cut a second set of foam forms that were 1/8" smaller than original all the way around to compensate for the thickness of the laminations. If you try this yourself I found that soaking the 1/32 x 1/16 balsa strips in boiling hot water for about half an hour (two treatments of boiling water 15 min ea) was much better than the mere 'couple of minutes' that one of the builders claimed was necessary.

Soak 'em in one of Mama's baking pans when she's not lookin'....

Slather%20the%20strips%20with%20wood%20glue,%20lay%20them%20on%20top%20of%20each%20other,%20then%20wrap%20carefully%20and%20slowly%20around%20the%20foam%20forms%20(after%20putting%20scotch%20tape%20around%20the%20edges%20of%20the%20foam%20to%20keep%20the%20glue%20from%20sticking%20to%20the%20foam)%20and%20secure%20with%20blue%20painter's%20tape%20as%20you%20go... Let%20dry%20overnight%20(maybe%20give%20'em%201%20or%20two%2015-second%20blasts%20in%20the%20microwave%20to%20kickstart%20the%20drying%20and%20curing%20process)%20and%20then%20carefully%20pry%20away%20from%20the%20scotch-taped%20foam%20forms...cut%20to%20fit,%20and%20voila...there's%20the%20balsa%20sheet%20wingtips,%20the%20laminated%20replacements%20are%20light%20as%20a%20friggin'%20feather.... Got%20my%20ribs%20all%20cut%20out%20and%20indexed,%20and%20the%20wing%20is%20being%20laid%20up%20next....man%20the%20die-cutting%20of%20the%20kit%20was%20pretty%20bad,%20it%20took%203%20nights%20of%20careful%20blade%20work%20to%20get%20all%20the%20ribs%20separated%20from%20the%20balsa%20sheets%20without%20ripping%20'em.%20%20%20All%20part%20of%20the%20fun%20though...

Havin' a good time!!!

JG300-fr8ycat
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Awesome, thanks for sharing and keep it coming Stoopy. When I get around to my build I'll be using your example.

So I placed an order with HobbyKing on Jan. 28th. Some servos (including the ones you had listed and some receivers), been in Portland OR. for the last week and when I return I finally get an email that they just shipped yesterday...? and when I clicked on what appeared to be a tracking number I get some link with a header that says 'The Hong Kong Post...The government of the Hong Kong special administrative region" Rolling Eyes

If you want your stuff shipped fast and want to be able to track it...you might want to stear clear of this site. Not sure about these guys but I'll guess we'll find out.

Power User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Dang, Well, hopefully it will work out! I did some googling on "orders from Hobby King" and it sounds like mostly positive stuff but still a little hit-and-miss - hopefully the tracking stuff is just an anomaly of a funky gov't-run postal service...they can't all be as good as the USPS...

JG300-fr8ycat
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 pm

So I got my Stuff!!! LOL, only 3 weeks instead of the "Could take 45 days" that was in small print on the e-mail I got when they shipped it.

Turns out there's some things I didn't realize about the site when looking and ordering. They have 2 tabs, one is global and the other is USA/Canada of course there is more stuff available on the global tab but as it goes those can ship from any one of their warehouses around the world. The USA/Canada option ships from their warehouse in Washington.

You will also note that the item you are looking at has on the right hand side, by the price, icons. A global icon, American flag, Australian flag, etc. letting you know if it's available at those warehouses, on back order, etc.
Of course all of this went right by me when I was looking at items and placing my order, I was on the Global tab.

Anyways I'm eager to finish off these gliders son I can get on that Guillows and I think the GWS Rx I ordered would work awesome in it. It is a nano 3 Ch. (4th Ch. shares battery plug) Rx that is tiny. Actually got 2 for my gliders so I can use the same radio for all my aircraft. And I thought my Hitec Feather Rx was small. It's 1" long by 5/8th wide by 3/8th tall. Hope your build is coming along.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  RC Flying
Page 2 of 2