113: Community Forums
114: Community Forums
115: Photo Gallery
116: Community Forums
117: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
HALP! FSRecorder question...
Welcome to the Com Central Screenshot Competition! You'll find the 'rules' in here, so grab some coffee, your favorite screenshot program and start submitting your pics!
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  Com Central Screenshot Competition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JG300-Ascout
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:10 pm
Post subject: HALP! FSRecorder question...

I can't revive an archived topic it seems, so I'll just refer to link:

www.com-central.net/in...pic&t=7762

Following Boss Hawg's and the FS instructions, I downloaded and installed FS Recorder for FS2004. Following instructions, I started (and saved) a "flight", then turned on recorder for a 60 sec. first try experiment and flew a little pattern. No problemo. The flight recorded, and I'm able to play it back..but only to view. When I restart the saved flight, reposition my aircraft and pause, then go to FS Recorder to "Play as traffic' (I believe it says), the system instantly goes to black screen, crashes, tells me that ti's encountered a problem and do I want to report (which I answer no, of course) and then FS9 closes and restarts.

For some reason, though I can save a flight and view it in FSRecorder, it won't let me "participate" by playing it back as traffic and joining my original flight. Any ideas?

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:03 pm
Post subject: Re: HALP! FSRecorder question...

Definitely not normal behavior - just out of curiosity what aircraft was used in the flight recording? I am wondering if it is something to do with an aircraft that may have some special features (or might be a helo). Would it be possible to try recording and playing back a basic flight with a stock aircraft such as Cessna 172?

Also, since the FS Recorder files are interchangeable between users, we can see if it's simply a problem with the flight recording file if you'd like to email me the recording file. Although I haven't yet reinstalled FS9 on my new system...this would be another good reason to.

JG300-Ascout
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Quick reply on the run. was Baunton's UH-1, didn't even think about A/C choice. Will try other.

JG300-Ascout
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:53 pm

P.S. Basic function working with default Cessna, at duck. Have not "recorded" an add-on flight yet. How to fly/portray dissimilar aircraft? Does this in some way use only ac with some "AI traffic" inclusion?

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:58 pm

You are semi-correct about the AI inclusion. Whats happening is when you "Play as Traffic" is a temporary AI version of the target aircraft is created. But, that doesn't mean that an AI version of that aircraft has to already be installed - FS Recorder makes it "on the fly" if you'll pardon the pun.

FS9 and FSX have limitations when it comes to AI helicopters. In brief, it can't handle them and some CFG-file trickery is needed to tweak up an AI version of a helicopter. Unlike fixed-wing, a pre-exisitng AI version has to be made (since FS9 and FSX puke when trying to make them on the fly, as you've now witnessed) and the engine and aircraft type has to be manually adjusted...even then, there are no guarantees and I was never able to get Dean Baunton's UH1 to work like that. At best, I got it to not crash but it was invisible.

For fixed-wing it works just fine and you can definitely mix dissimilar aircraft (fixed wing). Behavior ios a little different between FS9 and FSX but my recolleciton of FS9 behavior is that when you select "Play as Traffic", the file (or last file you select, since you can select multiple playback files) will use the aircraft you have currently loaded. So, immediately after loading the playback files you can quickly press P to pause, and load up a new aircraft type for yourself to fly.

For the Veteran's Day screenshot I created a while back with 3 different fixed-wing aircraft and an Army UH-1, I successively recorded the fixed-wing flights in formation with each other and then played the three fixed-wing files back as Traffic and switched to the UH-1 before takeoff, and hand-flew it in formation, pausing to take screen shots whenever needed. Of course, the three fixed-wing aircraft were flown in formation at very slow speeds on the verge of a stall almost, so the UH-1 would be able to keep up.

On the forum at the FS REcorder website we had some good information going back and forth on the progress to get rotary-winged aircraft to work but it wasn't simple, and didn't work with all helos. I need to revisit the topic over there and see if any new magic tweaks have come up. Too bad the helos are a limitation in the flight engine of the sim since this tool works great for all other vehicle types, even blimps and soforth. I hope you keep experimenting and you'll no doubt think of some interesting possibilities regardless. Wink

JG300-Ascout
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:47 pm

I think I'm getting the hang of it for two ships. I'm fuzzy on how you record a scene or flight that has more than two, however. What I'm doing is setting up a flight, then telling FSRecorder to "record" and fly for 1-2 minuts. Then I reload the flight, and tell FSR to "play as traffic", or whatever the command is. At this rate, I can only have two AC in the frame. How do I record a flight with two if I'm playing back?

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:25 pm

You can record and play back at the same time, so that you can record the second aircraft. Once you have recorded the second aircraft, you wil then have two recordings which you can play back together while flying the third aircraft.

To do that: ( * info based on earlier versions of FSR, see note below)

After you select the "Play as traffic" option for the one recording you already have, immediately hit the pause button and from the Flight Recorder menu simply select the "Record" option. The status message at the bottom of the screen should indicate something like "Playback + Record". Then un-pause, and fly your flight. When done press ESCape and save the file under a similar but unique name (like "Recorded Flight 2").

Once all that's done, start a new flight, move your aircraft to a third position on the runway (assuming you're starting out on the ground), and when you go to the "Play As Traffic" and when prompted to select the playback file, I believe all you have to do is hold down either the SHIFT or CTRL key to select multiple files - click on both the recording for flight #1 and flight #2.

At that point it's just like normal playback with one flight file - go do your flight, or if you like go ahead and select the record option again to record flight #3. The limits of how many flights you can playback and record together is limited by CPU and memory.

* Now, I'll give a simple disclaimer - the SHIFT or CTRL key trick worked on earlier version of flight recorder. On the latest version for FSX, I see it doesn't but that's because FSR has a new trick feature to merge several flight recording files together into one flight recording file, and it wants you to do that instead of selecting multiple files. I need to check out the latest version for FS9 and see if it was changed similarly. If so, it's still pretty easy to deal with.

Will double-check and be back....it's movie date with wifey so if I'm not back in 24 hours, please go ahead and launch the air strike....

JG300-Ascout
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:24 pm

- JG300-Stoopy
You can record and play back at the same time, so that you can record the second aircraft. Once you have recorded the second aircraft, you wil then have two recordings which you can play back together while flying the third aircraft.

It's coming together. I think you might be seeing the progression in the POTD submissions sometime soon. Wink

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:35 pm

I've seen some...indications, perhaps. Damn impressive ones actually.... Mr. Green

JG300-Ascout
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:49 pm

It's, uhh...complicated. I find that you really have to plan the shot based on the "spot view" characteristics of the model chosen. And avoid certain light effects in the prop disc (where applicable), to say nothing of just formation flying itself. Whut's easy in a twin that handles like a bus is a whole lot trickier in a nimble fighter that changes direction like a hummingbird.

That's why it might be some time before I get any precise F-86 configurations together.

And then there's the prop/jet combination....I blew an hour on that today. Rolling Eyes

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Yes there is a learning curve for sure...and it'll hone formation flying skills as well. Looks like you're pretty well set in that dept. though Wink

One thing that may help is in spot view during playback mode, I believe CTRL-W (or is it SHIFT-CTRL-W) will move the spot view focus to different aircraft, which gives some added flexibility on screenshot angles.

Haven't tried prop and jet combos, does something go awry when doing that? I can certainly see how matching speed during formation flying and landing would be tricky.

JG300-Ascout
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:36 pm

- JG300-Stoopy
Yes there is a learning curve for sure...and it'll hone formation flying skills as well. Looks like you're pretty well set in that dept. though Wink

One thing that may help is in spot view during playback mode, I believe CTRL-W (or is it SHIFT-CTRL-W) will move the spot view focus to different aircraft, which gives some added flexibility on screenshot angles.

Haven't tried prop and jet combos, does something go awry when doing that? I can certainly see how matching speed during formation flying and landing would be tricky.

Good control key tip, I'll try that. I did try some angles where the AI aircraft was the focal point (just by panning around) but there were some elements not reproduced in the uniform detail as the "flying" aircraft.

Bingo on the jet/prop combo (you're probably thinkin'...."But why would you want to?"....you'll see....eventually). I messed about with that quite a lot and mostly it's the aero efficiency difference....the prop under half power got overtaken and passed by the jet with NO power and begun at 10% less airspeed to begin with. I think I can nail the timing and use some techniques to match the speeds better (including starting the formation WAY earlier...or later). So far, deploying flaps made it harder, not easier. It's just a "timing" issue....I'll get it.

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:44 am

Just FYI, there are some enterprising souls over at the FS Recorder forum who have come up with tools to edit an FSR file after the fact and replace the original aircraft type with another. Which means - theoretically of course - that one could record the original formation flight files using Piper Cubs or something, and then replace them with an F8 Bearcat and a SAAB Viggen or somesuch. Of course they'd look silly flying around at 60 kts but it'd never show in a screenshot...and they'd certainly keep a tight formation. Shocked

Not that I've ever done it with fixed wing. Editing an FSR file and replacing with another aircraft *is* however part of the complicated process needed to try to get helos to play back (when it works). Not having tried it in a while it may be one of the newer built-in capabilities of the new 2.x FSR release, prior to that you needed the "Flight Recorder Toolbox" utility that's for download there. Prior to that one had to manually hex-edit the binary FSR files. Rolling Eyes

We have it good these days!

P.S. Remember that FSR files can be emailed and shared between users. I have always thought it would be cool to pass some around and make a 'virtual formation flight' one recording at a time with different people involved. If we can't get online to fly together at the same time, we can at least do it offline and as time allows this way...something to toss around. Cool

JG300-Ascout
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:57 am

- JG300-Stoopy
Just FYI, there are some enterprising souls over at the FS Recorder forum who have come up with tools to edit an FSR file after the fact and replace the original aircraft type with another. Which means - theoretically of course - that one could record the original formation flight files using Piper Cubs or something, and then replace them with an F8 Bearcat and a SAAB Viggen or somesuch. Of course they'd look silly flying around at 60 kts but it'd never show in a screenshot...and they'd certainly keep a tight formation. Shocked

I also discovered "Plan B"....once your flight and your "play as traffic" are started, you can go to map view at high mag and move your aircraft to anywhere in the saved FSrecorder flight. This eliminates the "stringing out" effect of planes flying away as you hammer the "pause" button or firewall the throttle trying to catch up. In fact, you can place your current ride pretty much anywhere in a flight you want, even changing altitude, with a little trial and error. Makes flying mismatched or sluggishly throttled planes together easier and eliminates stragglers. You can position them closer than the Blue Angels ever thought of flying, but it obviously looks contrived if you get carried away.

I was surprised to find that you can also change the weather conditions and time and season with no effect on the recorded formation...making possible a new airshow event, "IFR close formation flying". Mr. Green

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:32 pm

- JG300-Ascout
I also discovered "Plan B"....once your flight and your "play as traffic" are started, you can go to map view at high mag and move your aircraft to anywhere in the saved FSrecorder flight. This eliminates the "stringing out" effect of planes flying away as you hammer the "pause" button or firewall the throttle trying to catch up. In fact, you can place your current ride pretty much anywhere in a flight you want, even changing altitude, with a little trial and error.

Interesting! I've used the 'Slew' option to catch up when needed
(for the record in the FSX world a Mig-25 Foxbat on full burner has no hope of keeping up with a Blackbird at 10% throttle) but hadn't tried the map method. Things can get out of hand pretty quickly if one slews in the wrong direction....

Figures it'd only be a matter of time before you were handing out your own tips...thanks!

Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  Com Central Screenshot Competition
Page 1 of 1