208: Photo Gallery
209: Your Account
210: Photo Gallery
211: Photo Gallery
212: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
M60 at Ft Hood for Joe D...
The AFV ASSOCIATION was formed in 1964 to support the thoughts and research of all those interested in Armored Fighting Vehicles and related topics, such as AFV drawings. The emphasis has always been on sharing information and communicating with other members of similar interests; e.g. German armor, Japanese AFVs, or whatever.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  AFV News Discussion Board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFC_Jeff_Button
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:37 am
Post subject: Re: M60 at Ft Hood for Joe D...

Hello to all,
I would like to celebrate this historic occasion with some interior pictures of the "Slick 60" I have found here at Ft Hood. The "historic occasion" would be my 1,000 post on this site which has educated me well beyond my years as to my knowledge of armor. Albeit, I am still a novice on here compared to most that frequent this site, (you know who you are, haha).
My son, "Jeffrey" will be posting on here much more often soon. He has the AVATAR of an M4A3 with the Tigers face painted on it, that is located at the 1st CAV museum. He used to post on Officers Club due to his interest in aircraft but that DG has not exactly been the same as of late, more gossip and such rather than any real aircraft discussion or research, so he's come to the "armor side" of research. He likes to post pictures of "odd" armor and see's who can identify it. We'll all see what transpires.
As for me, here are a number of interior shots of the M60A0, "Slick60" that is sitting in the 4th ID motorpool. I am returning tomorrow to get the data plate information that is visible in the shot of the steering wheel. Until then, enjoy these shots.
I actually thought the picture I took through the tanks sight would stir some interest. It took me quite some time to get the camera to focus well enough to get that picture. That picture was of an M1 in the next motor pool that was under a work bay overhang. Just as I took that photo, some road guard walked in front of the picture. Pretty cool, I thought.
Here is some information I found on the tank;
- Top turret stamp was 4-5548, just under the casting marks, mean anything?
- Front lug had "10" stamped into it.
- The breech of the cannon had the following on it; Tube No 11040, CANNON 105mm, GUN M68, MFR 9208, 1971, 1660LBS, INSP, then it became unreadable.
- The engine data plate indicated it was overhauled on Dec 1972.
- I found a sheet of paper inside that was hand written and dated 1981.
- The rear hull casting with the "G" inside a shield indicates it was built by General Steel Castings Corporation, Eddystone Pennsylvania and Granite City, Illinois.
- The Reg number is not really readable.
- What is the casting mark on the side of the turret with the Star with the "P" on the middle of it mean?
Enjoy the pictures Joe_D!!!!!!!!! I'll get you that serial number.

Joe_D
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:25 pm

Thanks Jeff,
Great Pictures, So when will you get a good picture of the Driver's compartment Data plate just to the right of the steering wheel??? It might answer some questions I have. Something about this tank isn't right, I can't really say what. The turret is early enough to match the hull serial number (11-59 cast date). It looks like some one retired it very early in it's career. The intercom system has not been upgraded. It also is missing the left hull ammo racks. Those can't be removed unless you cut them up or take the turret off. Turret racks don't look right either. Engine has been rebuilt once, at Mainz Depot. The stowage bracket for the searchlight don't look right either. I'd sure love to go over this one with a fine tooth comb.

Joe D
Roy_A_Lingle
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

Joe is right about that searchlight storage rack. It is missing the third point. An arm like looking bracket that reached out to the upper part of the back side of the searchlight.

For others, note the flexable gun mount for a M2 50cal MG setting in the rear gun mount position.

Looking at the TC's cupola, you will notice a square metal plate on the side of it. That was were a second mount was for the M2 50cal MG so the TC could fire it from his open hatch.

Great set of photos, Jeff! Thanks!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

bsmart
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:14 pm

- Joe_D
Thanks Jeff,
Great Pictures, So when will you get a good picture of the Driver's compartment Data plate just to the right of the steering wheel??? It might answer some questions I have. Something about this tank isn't right, I can't really say what. The turret is early enough to match the hull serial number (11-59 cast date). It looks like some one retired it very early in it's career. The intercom system has not been upgraded. It also is missing the left hull ammo racks. Those can't be removed unless you cut them up or take the turret off. Turret racks don't look right either. Engine has been rebuilt once, at Mainz Depot. The stowage bracket for the searchlight don't look right either. I'd sure love to go over this one with a fine tooth comb.

Joe D

Along the lines of "somethin' ain't right" Both of the very early M60s I know about (The one at Aberdeen and the one at Thurmont, MD) have TRAINING USE ONLY in welding bead on the glacias plate. I was told (possibly by you) that the early M60s had a problem with the armor and were marked that way to identify them. If this tank is S/N 10 wouldn't it be in that same group? I'm sure if jeff had seen the message on the bow he would have photographed it.

Neil_Baumgardner
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:19 pm

One thing I noticed about the tow lug stamping is that it is stamped vertically, instead of horizontally as usual...

Neil
SFC_Jeff_Button
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:36 pm

Hello guys, I am going back to that tank this morning. I'm taking aweek of leave before going to Ft Eustis and it starts today. However I will throw on the uniform so I don't get questioned as to why I'm in their motor pool and climbing in a tank.
I saw the data plate but not whle I was inside,(to dark) but once I got home and downloaded my pictures. Now that I know where it is I'm going back with a flashlight and getting a good photo and writing down its numbers.
I'll also look for where the left front ammo racks may have been cut out and any ground off welded writing on the glacis. However I'm pretty sure there was none.
Does the "11-59" cast into the top of the turret represent the date of it's build? If so, is this common to other M60's as well?
I'll try to get some other angled shots of this tank as well.
I do remember there was alot of pencilled "graffitti" inside the tank. Names/ states/ and dates, most of which were from 1972-73 if I remember right. Maybe I can get a shot or two of these as well.
I did find one hand written sheet of paper in the turret dated 3/5/81. I talks about "Filling the Replensiher". It list four levels as "Too Low", "Too Full", "Excessively Full", and "Normal". Any ideas what this refers to? The four levels are marked with different types of tape as per the barelt readable sheet.
Gotta go, I should have those pictures within the next few hours!

JimWeb
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:18 pm

At least the Jordanians know what to do with old M60s...

Cool

If your not a member of JED then your
not serious about anything military..

www.jedsite.info
JED Military Equipment
Doug_Kibbey
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:50 pm

- SFC_Jeff_Button
I did find one hand written sheet of paper in the turret dated 3/5/81. I talks about "Filling the Replensiher". It list four levels as "Too Low", "Too Full", "Excessively Full", and "Normal". Any ideas what this refers to? The four levels are marked with different types of tape as per the barelt readable sheet.

Jeff,
This sounds like somebody's "cheat sheet" who didn't know the mnemonic for the replenisher tape. I recall it as "Two rough, not enough...two smooth, remove...one rough, one smooth, you're in the groove" But I could be wrong. It's based on a series of textures (notches and flat or wavey bits) on either side of a metal tape for the hydraulic recoil system replenisher tape indicator to be a quick visual reference (to be monitored by the loader during firing) which can be expected to change as it heats up under certain conditions.

There is one display that means "Stop firing immediately!" Who recalls what it is?
bsmart
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:15 pm

Red electrons (Hydraulic fluid) squirting all over the turret?

Joe_D
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:41 pm

It's two long notches, "Stop Firing Immediately,

Hi everyone,
Was outside a little while ago scrounging a souvenier for Dontos.

If you look at the turret ammo rack the replenisher is laying in it. Doug, now days it's yellow "electrons" and if it's a hydraulic line it looks like you have a fire with all the smoke.

Roy,
I noticed the searchlight mount is missing the center ball but that isn't it. It looks like the original was removed and this was fabricated. You can see the grind marks on the turret blower edge where it was once mounted. The current mount doesn't resemble any of the mounts I've ever seen (1) . Also the serch light interupter bracket is missing too include the mounts (3). These were usually ground off when the bracket was removed after the tanks were refurbished. You can still see the barrel clip bracket for the M2 but no clip either (2). Even the periscope cover for the cupola don't look right. I can't be certain but it looks like someone tried to make this tank look like it was retired before the newer mods came about. I wonder if it had "Training Tank Only" welded across the front and some one ground it off to complete the retro look. The serial number makes it old enough to be worth the effort.

Joe D
Doug_Kibbey
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:00 pm

- Joe_D
It's two long notches, "Stop Firing Immediately,

If you look at the turret ammo rack the replenisher is laying in it. Doug, now days it's yellow "electrons" and if it's a hydraulic line it looks like you have a fire with all the smoke.

Joe D

I had deleted my little reference to an anecdote, but since you mentioned the smoke, I'll stick it back it.

Back when it was red, and we called it "cherry juice", we did a lot of firing in test operations at MFO, Ft. Knox. An inattentive loader when I was shooting failed to notice the tale of the tape and the lines burst. Mucho mist and smoke ensued and, being as the gunner is the most exposed and the last out of the turret, the range medics (never-seen-actual-battle-trauma-medics) were just running up to the vehicle as I emerged. Very wet and red. Running stopped and gasps ensued...followed by brief hilarity, for everyone except the loader.

Speaking of "cherry juice", we also had a lot of TDY engineer types who when otherwise not occupied got shanghai'ed for ammo-humping duty for our tank testin'. One saw several styrofoam cups of appealing red liquid and asked what it was and was innocently advised it was "cherry juice" without much thought. Yep, you guessed it....thankfully, it never got down his esophogus...and you never saw a guy spit so far or swear so much in your life.
bsmart
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:57 pm

The term 'Red Electrons' was used by Avionics troops on the flightline. In general Avionics was a pretty clean set of career fields on the flight line. We didn't have too fool with JP-4 or grease for most of our jobs. But the main radar antenna was moved by hydraulics. Up until the F-16 they couldn't get electric servos to move it fast or precisely enough so the used hydraulic systems to move the antenna. The F-15 Radome actually had a small drain atthe bottom to allow any 'leakage' to drain out (at least once the drain was clogged and when the radar guys started loosening the bolts that secure the noseopened the radome a stream of red flowed out)

It was a standing joke that since we were Avionics shops those tubes running to the antenna must be full of red electrons, otherwise Hydraulic shop would be working on them. I was in 'C' shop (Comm/Nav/ECM) of all the avionics shops we were the cleanest. We only had one system that ever required red electrons. A shop (Radar) was always fooling with them and their fatigues showed it. B shop (flight control not only had to work with the hydraulic interface to the control surfaces, they also had to calibrate the fuel gages so they not only had red stains on thier fatigues, they also smelled of JP-4. C shop prided itself on ONLY working with real electrons!

SFC_Jeff_Button
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:32 pm

OK gents, here are the follow-up photo's for what seems to indeed be a "Slick 60". The first photo is where the vehicle sat yesterday when I was in it. Imagine my disbelief as I walked up to where it had sat to only find a large drip pan and marks of where it had been towed away. But wait, look in the background and you can see it! It was moved yesterday afternoon in to the next motor pool which belongs to 1/66 AR. So I went in there and luckily it was still unlocked and I crawled right in and started taking pictures. The data plate indicates it was built April 1960 by Chrysler, and the serial number is indeed 10! I snapped some pictures of the 1970's graffitti, another picture through the sight, and just a bunch of shots of the hull / turret interior. I will post the additional exterior shots shortly. How many of these "Slick 60's" are known to exist currently?

Doug_Kibbey
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:38 pm

Many thanks to Jeff for posting these great pics for us....

The graffitti is priceless, isn't it?

I have a question...does this gauge cluster look like original equipment, or a later upgrade? It looks out of place to me, but I don't have "slick 60" time.

SFC_Jeff_Button
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:04 pm

These are some more follow up pictures I took today. Only one is of the inside, and it is where that "Cheat Sheet" hung for the "Replenisher", I didn't see that spot until today. I took a few more pictures of the outside of the turret. As I opened up one of the storage bins on the fenders I found the mount points for the spot light. I snapped a picture down the muzzle and was suprised to see it was smooth bore. The other M60 I took pics of had a rifled barrel. Is this another clue to it being a "Slick 60"? A few shots of the track/roadwheels, engine decks, and angled shots of the front and rear from ground level.
I was also suprised to see the words, "SERIAL NUMBERS MUST MATCH" stamped into both rear differential areas, and the numbers did indeed match, (coverplate to main diff body). I stopped by the 4th ID Museum and checked out one of the other M60's there to compare the diff's and they had the marking as well. I will post those pictures as well shortly, and Jeffrey, (aka- Lil-J) will post some pics of the M103.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  AFV News Discussion Board
Page 2 of 5