186: Photo Gallery
187: Photo Gallery
188: Community Forums
189: Community Forums
190: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Stryker
The AFV ASSOCIATION was formed in 1964 to support the thoughts and research of all those interested in Armored Fighting Vehicles and related topics, such as AFV drawings. The emphasis has always been on sharing information and communicating with other members of similar interests; e.g. German armor, Japanese AFVs, or whatever.
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  AFV News Discussion Board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy_A_Lingle
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:47 pm
Post subject: Stryker

Hi Folks!

Could this be a M1127 Recon Stryker? I noticed during Mail Call that the Recon carrier Gunny was riding in had the 50 cal mounted on a turret which the M1126 Infantry Carrier doesn't have.

Photo is by Dennis Steele, Army magazine, April issue, page 18

I notice that an old IR service headlight assemble is mounted on the bar armor. It is just to the left of the driver's orange vision block.

The five gallon cans on the lower bar armor reminds me of the STRV-103C S-Tank which had racks for diesel fuel cans along both sides.

Been working on Turmpiter's Styrker. Very interesting kit. One thing I learned was the wench is not under that hatch at the front edge of the top hull, but under that cover behind the driver's hatch. There are three pulleys the cable ran around to get to that cable guide centered on the front edge of the hull. If you are going to mount a wench like that, why not added a couple more pulleys so the crew could run the cable back to the rear and off a center point device?

Interesting photo (to me anyway)
Sgt, Scouts Out!

JimWeb
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:05 pm
Post subject: Re: Stryker

- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks! Could this be a M1127 Recon Stryker?

No its not the M1127 recon version - the turret isn't far back enough. I think its the M1129 mortar version withe cupola protection kit.

Been working on Turmpiter's Styrker. Very interesting kit. One thing I learned was the wench is not under that hatch at the front edge of the top hull, but under that cover behind the driver's hatch. There are three pulleys the cable ran around to get to that cable guide centered on the front edge of the hull. If you are going to mount a wench like that, why not added a couple more pulleys so the crew could run the cable back to the rear and off a center point device?

Yes I always thought that a pulley or two would come in handy for mounting a wench Wink

Cool

If your not a member of JED then your
not serious about anything military..

www.jedsite.info
JED Military Equipment
Burik
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:55 pm

I think this is the RV. The net is in the way for the mortar. I think the mortar version has different hull sides too. I will try and upload a photo.

Note the Duke/Warlock and the Rhino. The camo nets are very common now. Are they for anti-sniping?

I am disappointed that the Trumpeter relied on a pre-production vehicle. Lots of details are wrong for a production vehicle. I am afraid AFV Club might have done the same thing since their MGS photo shows a pre-production vehicle. Still crossing my fingers there.

Roy, what do you think of the RWS? Seems pretty anemic to me. And the legs of the stand do not touch the roof like it should. Every build I have seen so far shows the legs floating. Seems to be some fit issues there to keepin mind.

Dragon's kit is a long way out still.

Bob
Burik
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:03 pm

Here is the mortar version. You can see the side is different than in Roy's photo. Roy's has the stowage rack mounted. The mortar version does not have the normal stowage rack; it has a unique one to the MV.

Bob
JimWeb
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:52 am

- Burik
Here is the mortar version. You can see the side is different than in Roy's photo. Roy's has the stowage rack mounted. The mortar version does not have the normal stowage rack; it has a unique one to the MV.

Half the junk on the sides gets junked when they fit the birdcage.

To be honest we may not figure out quite what variant it is.. I have at least four images of different variants in Iraq that are definately not the normal variants - most likely EW versions. But until they appear in the open press I am reluctant to post them...

Here's an image of the M1127 recon variant... the turret appears to be a bit further back than the normal apc variant.

www.jedsite.info
JED Military Equipment
JimWeb
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:11 am

- Burik

Roy, what do you think of the RWS? Seems pretty anemic to me. And the legs of the stand do not touch the roof like it should. Every build I have seen so far shows the legs floating. Seems to be some fit issues there to keepin mind.

Not all the variants have the RWS.. The M1131 AOP has a pintle mount 50 or 40 as does the M1134 TUA version (albeit with a Minimi LMG) as well as the recon & mortar versions.

Cool

www.jedsite.info
JED Military Equipment
Roy_A_Lingle
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:05 am

Hi Bob B! Hi Folks!

- Burik

I am disappointed that the Trumpeter relied on a pre-production vehicle. Lots of details are wrong for a production vehicle. I am afraid AFV Club might have done the same thing since their MGS photo shows a pre-production vehicle. Still crossing my fingers there.

Bob

I have it almost glued together and took it into the model club meeting last Sunday for show and tell. For folks who don't know the difference between a Canadian LAV III (couple of guys saw a train load of Canadian armored cars over at Ft Bliss last week) and a Stryker, almost everyone liked it.

I am a bit disappointed and confuzed with why Trumpeter did what they did with the parts layout. Another club member was showing a 1/72 BTR60 APC that he was working on. The front wheels could piviet and all the wheels could rotate. On the Trumpeter kit, it does nether. A couple of times I miss read the instructions and glued the wrong part to the wrong area of the hull.

That RWS has two major items missing. That wheel with the spokes thing on the front of the ammo box is missing and one of the sights is not there. There are two other errors that are very easy to fix with some filling on one and some very thin card to extend a sun shield over that main center sight lens. One thing that surpised me was the way the mount when together. It started out looking like the 50 cal would be able to move up and down and then next thing I see is a part holds everything together in one big unit.

I found a number of parts that needed to be pressed together for a bit until the glue got hold of the parts. If I didn't watch things, some items would lift up or bend and leave gags.

Hopefull one of the resin companies will jump in with some correction parts to convert this kit into a later model.

Something else I am a bit disappoint with is the new Osprey Stryker book. I would think something that would have been covered (and helpful to modellers) is a group of photos that pointed out the changes that took place between the first prototypes and the 3rd BCT set of vehicles. Maybe some day someone to do the hard work to do something like a Hunnicutt book on the Stryker. It would sure be great if he would work up one more bible for us CIA guys.

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts out!

mike_Duplessis
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:42 pm

"Something else I am a bit disappoint with is the new Osprey Stryker book."

Yeh, the book industry just isn't used to modern armor evolving as quickly as Stryker has been these days. First the slat cage, then the extended headlights, then the added top armor, then the exhaust shroud, then added the armor for the pintle mount, then the new armored camera mount, then the latests anti-IED objects mounted on the vehicles, etc. etc. Concord pubs seems to have been lighter on ther feet at document this sort of stuff than Osprey lately.
Maple_Leaf_Eh
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:34 pm

- Roy_A_Lingle

One thing I learned was the wench is not under that hatch at the front edge of the top hull, but under that cover behind the driver's hatch.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

I hope Don has had his sexual harassment sensitivity training !

'The wench is under the covers?'
Burik
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:47 pm

- JimWeb
- Burik

Half the junk on the sides gets junked when they fit the birdcage.

To be honest we may not figure out quite what variant it is.. I have at least four images of different variants in Iraq that are definately not the normal variants - most likely EW versions. But until they appear in the open press I am reluctant to post them...

Here's an image of the M1127 recon variant... the turret appears to be a bit further back than the normal apc variant.

Hi Folks:

I have never seen the stowage rack missing on a variant that has it. The slat armor is designed to go over the top of it. The ICV is the most common variant and the RV is the second most common. I believe this is the RV. Another clue that it is the RV is the smoke discharger you can see midway down the roof (light green grenade poking out). The RV moves the smoke dischargers since the weapon station is a different set-up and has no RWS.

Roy's image is at an angle so we can not tell how far back the weapon station is compared to the sideview, but it does not look off to me.

Cheers.

Bob
Burik
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:04 am

- Roy_A_Lingle

That RWS has two major items missing. That wheel with the spokes thing on the front of the ammo box is missing and one of the sights is not there. There are two other errors that are very easy to fix with some filling on one and some very thin card to extend a sun shield over that main center sight lens. One thing that surpised me was the way the mount when together. It started out looking like the 50 cal would be able to move up and down and then next thing I see is a part holds everything together in one big unit.

Hopefull one of the resin companies will jump in with some correction parts to convert this kit into a later model.

Something else I am a bit disappoint with is the new Osprey Stryker book. I would think something that would have been covered (and helpful to modellers) is a group of photos that pointed out the changes that took place between the first prototypes and the 3rd BCT set of vehicles. Maybe some day someone to do the hard work to do something like a Hunnicutt book on the Stryker. It would sure be great if he would work up one more bible for us CIA guys.

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts out!

Roy:

That spoked wheel thing is the cover for the large lense on the RWS. When it is not on the lense it is stored on the ammo box. When it is covering the lense all that would remain on the ammo box would be a raised circle. The Trumpeter kit has neither. The lense cover has a retaining chain too.

As well, the smaller lense has a similar cover and its storage space is in the middle of the RWS. It does not have the ribs though. It also has the reataining chain. Both lenses should have the rain/sun shield too. Trumpeter did not do so well with the smoke dischargers as well. They are way too thin looking. And their mounts are not so good either. The AFV Club photos of the RWS look much nicer.

I am trying to help an aftermarket company with some stuff, but I do not think they want to try and correct the Trumpeter kit. They might wait for the AFV Club kit.

I agree on the Osprey book. They relied too much on the pre-production vehicle for the artwork and other stuff. Nice that there are deployed 3/2 trucks in the book, but the photos are from far away. But it is tough to stay on a moving target like the Stryker. As has been pointed out, lots of small changes already.

By the way, there is a very detailed book out from the Czech Republic (I think) on the Stryker, including slat. I do not have it yet, and it costs something like $60 or $70, but by all accounts it is quite good. Concord was supposed to come out with a Stryker book by the same author (Ralph Zwilling) but I do not know what happened to it. AMPS just released a Boresight issue dedicated to the Stryker. Some great photos of the slat taken from the roof, looking down. Some of my NTC photos are in their too! Smile

Cheers.

Bob
JimWeb
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:41 am

Duh - I'm so stupid... the real clue as to which variant that is lies in the folding wirecutter on the top of the engine deck...

Cool

www.jedsite.info
JED Military Equipment
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  AFV News Discussion Board
Page 1 of 1