65: Community Forums
66: Photo Gallery
67: Statistics
68: Community Forums
69: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Something is Wrong :: Archived
Welcome to the Com Central Screenshot Competition! You'll find the 'rules' in here, so grab some coffee, your favorite screenshot program and start submitting your pics!
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic    Revive this topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  Com Central Screenshot Competition

Topic Archived View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mechy
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:43 pm
Post subject: Something is Wrong

~S~ I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who post up there screenshots here, but I have to say there is a serious problem with the scoring of these screenshots. This is not the first time I have seen scoring that was way off, but this is the first time I decided to speak up.

I'm a huge fan of Com-Central and the friendless of the members, but if this is going to be a contest and people are going to take the time to take a screenie and post it, then they should at least get a fair shake.

If I'm the only one that feels this way, then please disregard my post and go on with the way you've been scoring, but I have a feeling that others are seeing the same thing. I told myself that I wasn't going to upload anymore screenshots after some scoring at the end of the year but when I saw you needed some more, I figured the heck with it and uploaded a few just to keep things going. But today I see the current picture Sunset over Cuba only has 3 stars and it is much better then alot of prior ones that have 5.

Well thats all I have to say, I'm not trying to stir things up, just trying to make things right.
Uhu_Fledermaus
Aircraft Demolition Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:15 pm
Post subject: Re: Something is Wrong

Mechy,

I can understand what you are saying, but to maybe clarify a lil bit, the "scoring" is done by the people who vote for the pics that are posted,
WE ( CC admins) do NOT have any option to alter that in any form or way.

Personally what anoyes me most is that people vote without leaving a comment, and I have seen votes on my own screenshots that where rated highly by a large number of people that where voted on with a 2 or even 1, for whatever reason.

So I hope that you understand that we cannot influence the voting, it's down to the people that cast their votes on the screenshots.

And last but not least I hope you wil keep posting your screenshots as they are highly appreciated by all and certainly by me.

fled
JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:32 pm

Mechy,

Actually I appreciate you bringing it up, I don't think it's stirring things up if you are raising what you feel is an important point. So, to begin with, THANK YOU for rasiing this and secondly, PLEASE don't let it discourage you from submitting and contributing.

Now on this subject: I understand exactly what you are talking about and have seen it before. I'll admit that rarely, do I personally ever score anyone what I consider "low" on a pic (1 or 2) as I don't want to discourage anyone. However, rarely do I give a "5". So most votes are in the 3-4 category, and I think this holds true of most people voting.

I've also had what I consider to be excellent submissions receive high votes by most people but then, inexplicably, a "1" or "2" from someone anonymous person. I've learned to shrug that off.....it's not a popularity contest and I don't let it impact me to think it is.

One of the things to consider about the "star system" in use is it rounds the number. That 3-star picture could be actually sitting around 3 and a half (actually it's at 3.33) and the 5-star picture coujld really be 4.5. Not really a big difference.

I really like to think of the Screenshot Contest as more of a "Picture of the Day" event, but yes since the voting is important, and we need a good average of votes to negate what I would politely call the occasional difference of opinion, I've considered suggesting something that most statisticians consider when dealing with input like this - throw out the unusually high or low vote as "extraneous data". BUt that's a dangerous thing too and puts a lot of power in the hands of the person making the decision, which means it could be questioned as well.

I would be willing to bet that simply by bringing it up, the problem may be addressed anyway....sometimes we just need a reality-check discussion on how we're voting, which is really why I appreciate you speaking up.

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Let me ask this......do you think it's due to the lack of any outline of possible criteria to consider when voting? That could help....and it's something that your input on would be very welcome.

HF_SlowHand
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:42 pm

Guidelines would be useful, but...

People rate the screenie not only because of the quality of the rig and shot composition, but also because of content.

I would rate the sunset picture of Mechy's a 4 - I like that sort of flying... alot. But someone else who only flies combat sims might rate a screenie of a furball a 4 where I would not...

The action (or not) in a screenie affect ratings... If you wre ther when the shot was taken you may vote higher...

Lord help me, but maybe some categories like the download sections of major sim sites (commercial jet, vintage, propeller, military)? So people who dont like C172s wouldnt 'have' to see them and feel compelled to vote? Oh I dont know if it would even help but maybe this post will lead to more discussion.

Honesty what may help is t make it so you cant vote without leaving a comment or for all I care, you show their votes!

~S~
Slow

Is a lie!
JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:06 pm

Well I tell ya what......hows this sound:

If I know the crowd around here (and I like to think I do) I'd bet you're not wanting a Screenie Admin that's gonna bandy around.

So - and also since I've had this happen to me as well (what I thought were good pix that got all "5' votes until a "1' knocked me out of the running) and I understand that position, here's what we'll do:

If you have a picture, or see a picture, that you believe is not getting fairly voted on, please PM me. Since there are considerations talen into account at the end of the month, and I'm the guys who has to make 'em, I will be happy to hear you out - please provide some details, if possible, is all I ask.

I'll entertain every bit of info and opinion on the subject and do my best to take it fairly into account at the end of each month. And I'll respond to each PM stating what the follow-up will be. That way, a certain amount of checks and balances will exist, as much as realistically we can do.

As far as comments, the way a lot of people see 'em, is they're optional.....and I dont' think that's likely to change, which is why I tend not to take 'em too much into account as far as final scoring.

Fair enough?

Mechy
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:10 pm

Hey Fled, I'm sorry if it came across like I was blaming the admins in any way. I certainly wasn't. I realize that the people on the forums vote on the screenshots. If anything, I believe ComCentral forums are so good because of the work of the admins and I appreciate that.

Stoopy, I understand everything your saying and I realize that in the overall scheme of things it's not a big deal but I do think it may discourage people from submitting pictures. Maybe it should just be a Picture of the Day without any scoring. Or it might be as easy as if when you vote your score and comment are shown.

I really don't know what the best way of doing this is. I usually don't even bring something like this up. Also, I'm not doing this because of anything I have submitted, I guess it's just in a sense of fairness that I felt I had to say something.
HF_SlowHand
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:02 pm

Stoop,
Did you know one of the gifts of the spirit is Administration? You got it bro!
Good decision!
Slow

Is a lie!
JG300-1Bullet
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:01 pm

I'll put in my 2 Cents. I really like seeing the different shots from everyone, and I like making them. I'm in outside sales so while driving around all day I think of a shot I would like to do and go home in the evening and try a couple and post the one I like best during the week. It is relaxing to me and if I get 4 or 5 stars that just puts a smile on my face because my peers liked it to. if I don't no worries....Hey I had fun doing it. I usually dont have time to do the Sunday Flights or do much on CFS3, But I do enjoy makiing screenies. Now if you want a competition full blown go check out www.screenshotart.com These people are really into this and work a whole lot harder than I would want to on it. I've posted a few screenies there just to get some constructive advice, but I like Com-Centrals low key approach best. It's fun. So I say K.I.S.S. Wink

You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3
JG300-fr8ycat
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:57 pm

It's also a matter of everyone having different tastes and criteria for which they judge a pic and this can never be regulated.

I think the bigger problem is people not voting. Taking toadys pic as an example, 51 views but only 5 votes? Realise some of those are repeat views but come on. Unless I'm reading it wrong if you're gonna take the time to view it, take the extra 5 seconds to cast a vote. It seems to me the fewer votes cast the more skewed the results .

Many times I vote without leaving a comment because I'm in a hurry, or don't have much to say. Know I haven't given a 1 it's mostly 3's & 4's. Think I have only given out two maybe three 5's.

I can understand Mechy's frustration there's been times I've felt the same, but in the end you can't let it get to ya and if it does just remember, some peoples taste is all in their mouth! Wink

Power User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:37 pm

Since it's my picture that prompted this, I feel somewhat obliged to pipe up.

Personally, I have to agree with Mechy on this one. I think that several people have some great shots, they put them up, and get shot down.

I rarely get to play any computer games these days, let alone flight sim. Thus, I rarely get the opportunity to take any screenshots either, since I still do it the old fashioned way of hitting "Prnt Scrn" and pasting it in paint. For me, I've got three shots that I am very proud of. So far, I've submitted two of them to the contest, both of which I took over a year ago on some sunday flights. The first one I submitted ended up with a lot lower score than I thought it deserved. Thus far, the Sunset of Cuba shot also has a lot lower of a score than I think it deserves as well. I will eventually submit my final "prize" shot, but I doubt I'll be submitting any more than that.

I should probably inform you guys of what I personally like to see in good screenshots. Each of these can make a good shot on it's own, but a truly great shot incorporates two or more of these in perfect balance.

- Artistic vision and beauty
This is no doubt the most important part of the shot, and also the most subjective part. One of the best (and worst, for some) definitions I've found for "art" is that "the goal of art is to make people think about art." To me, that means that it causes an emotional or cognitive reaction in people. It has to "speak" to me. Otherwise, it's not art, it's just a picture. For example, take a look at Bullet's "Not Today." I almost cried when I saw that. How about his "Warrior at Rest"? Absolutely stunning! "At Minimums." Stoopy's "Die Eskorte," "2 Flying Machines + 1 Windmill = AIR RACE!," and "Jasta 'nother patrol." Absolutely stunning and moving shots, but none of which are among the voted "top" shots. (I should also mention that the title of the shot can be just as important as the shot itself, as it sets the stage for what the author is trying to convey. "Not Today" is a perfect example.)

- Composition
This is what I feel that the vast majority of shots are missing. Good pictures need backgrounds that aren't too engaging or too bland; they need contrast and balance. Sorry Fled, but I'm gonna pick on you. His "A Trying Flight" is a good example of this. It has some good artistic vision in it, with the helicopter, low visibility, and fog. But, IMO, it's boring. The sky is all one color, and the helo blends right into the background. Also, since the weather is so important to this shot, the fact that it's zoomed in so close destroys the effect that it could have had. On the opposite side of the scale, take Bullet's "Ash and Trash" and Rodion's "A Goose over Interlaken". Both could have been very successful shots, but the background on either is just way too distracting, taking away from the subject of the picture.

- Technological factors and touch up
I realize that not everyone has a great system, but none-the-less, if you don't have AA turned on, it's going to be VERY difficult to get a good shot. Nothing ruins a great shot faster than jagged cuts along straight edges. After-shot touch ups also fall into this group. I havn't seen too much of an issue with it here, but a lot of people seem to think that the more they Photoshop a picture, the better it gets. in some cases, it may improve, but in most cases, people just way over-do it with the after-effects. Set up the picture right in the first place, crop, maybe a little touch-up here and there, and call it good.

- Action
Arguably the least important of the important points, this is probably the one that ISN'T lacking. It makes the pictures fun to look at! And I'm not talking fighting-shooting-down type action, I'm talking about the "makes you feel like you're there" feeling you get from the shot. It makes you excitied! Warbuck's "Get that Pilot's Number!", Stoopy's "Layin' on the Hurt," "Easing her Down," and Moser's "All Quiet on This Front!" are all awesome!

Now I don't want any of this to sound like I am whining, that I need sympathy, or that I'm trying to put anyone down. I'm not, I don't want it, and I'm really not trying to. I'm simply telling you this because it's true. This whole idea of people not submitting shots because of a lack of reward is an issue. I've seen (IMO) many great shots on here that have been highly rewarded, many great shots that have been shoved to the back of the line, and, on that same token, many crappy shots that have been glorified.

I don't know what the solution is, but I can say it is an issue that probably needs to be addressed. I feel like I've rambled enough, so on goes the discussion...

[TSF]Lt. Col. XcalibeR{5thF}
PG_Raptor
JG300-Ascout
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:58 am

- XcalibeR

Personally, I have to agree with Mechy on this one. I think that several people have some great shots, they put them up, and get shot down.........

Now I don't want any of this to sound like I am whining, that I need sympathy, or that I'm trying to put anyone down. I'm not, I don't want it, and I'm really not trying to. I'm simply telling you this because it's true. This whole idea of people not submitting shots because of a lack of reward is an issue. I've seen (IMO) many great shots on here that have been highly rewarded, many great shots that have been shoved to the back of the line, and, on that same token, many crappy shots that have been glorified.

I don't know what the solution is, but I can say it is an issue that probably needs to be addressed. I feel like I've rambled enough, so on goes the discussion...

Well, there are several interesting assertions in that lengthy post, some of them potentially interpretable as conflicting, and Gosh! Would you care to elaborate or be more specific on that last one?

JG300_Hunt
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:35 am

This is a seemingly ongoing issue that will never have a peaceful resolution to everybody's taste. I must agree with Fr8yCat that one of the larger issues is the lack of voting. The larger problem lies with individual preferences, for example, my taste in photos is my taste. Nobody is going to be able to change the way I feel about a pic at first sight. Once I take it in, I give it a score. Individuality and personal likes and dislikes is what makes us all different. I enjoy throwing screen shots up. If it gets a low score, so be it. I'm not looking to win the nobel prize here. I may throw a pic up I think is awesome, truly amazing and a masterpiece. Some people may not like it. Doesn't mean the picture is crap, just means someone has a different taste in aircraft, scenery or whatever else! Personally, I love sunrsie/sunset photos. I think the colors in them are amazing (especially with Fled's new EnviroPack upgrade - shameless plug Wink ) Other folks may prefer something different. Unique pictures are great too, like to ol' F14 flying by the pilot on the runway at the pigsty, classic. Sometimes I may make a vote based on potential. I have no graphics card in my computer. I have an Intel graphics ship (if anyone wants to contribute, I'll PM my address!). So my screenshots may never be up to par as most of the winners. But doesn't mean it's a bad shot per say. Everything is present to make it a great shot. Know what I mean?

I would also second Ascout's previous post!

For me, the screenshot competition is a chance to share some screenshots with my friends here on Com-C. Despite voting, there's always some amazing feedback, or the best, the witty remarks we share amongst one another. It's about having a good time and sharing something we love to do with the group. We can continue to broach this many ways over the next several months and I guarentee someone will still not get the resolution they are looking for. I think if we make voting more work by adding judging fields, even fewer people will take the time to cast a vote than they do now.

Well, that's my 2 cents - pretty soon we'll have enough in the pot for a round of beers!

Forum Tree-Rat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:00 am

It's only game guys.
Smile

I don't vote at all unless I'm going to make a 3, 4, or 5.
Sometimes I don't have time (or can't think of anything worthwhile) to post. If I can, I do.

Sometimes, I don't even look in on the screeny (if it doesn't get my attention from the thumbnail on the main page, for instance).

I don't believe anyone, from C-C or otherwise, puts enough stock in it to fake the results. It's not going to make me any less beautiful.

Com-Central's cutest, fluffiest, twitchiest, tail.
CPU > Intel i7-4790k (4.0GHz); COOLING > CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (2x120mm);
MOBO > Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5; RAM > 4x8Gb Corsair 'Vengeance' DDR3 1866MHz;
GPU > Gigabyte GEFORCE GTX650Ti PCI-e 3.0 2Gb GDDR5; AUDIO > Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music;
LCD > Viewsonic VA2226w (1680x1050); PSU > OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w (modular);
CASE > CoolerMaster "Storm Scout"; OS > Windows 7 Home Prem (64-bit).
Uhu_Fledermaus
Aircraft Demolition Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:02 am

Mechy,
at the end of the day it all boils down to personal taste and prefference............. and judging by the other comments, we all seem to think similar on the subject, and I take no offence mate, as I see that your post came from the heart with good and honourable intentions.

Maybe some background info, at the outset we (CC_admins) where thinking up a way to get more people from different Sqauds to interact more with eachother, we then tought of the screenie competition on a low key way, not to fancy and certainly not to complicated or to restrictive on the rules and stuff, more to share something we all around here enjoy doing, wich is Flying, and share some of the moments we enjoyed with eachother.

fled
Cool
Post new topic    Revive this topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  Com Central Screenshot Competition
Page 1 of 3