95: Home
96: Community Forums
97: Photo Gallery
98: Community Forums
99: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
What I did to fix my (and others, apparently) connections... :: Archived
Come join us each Sunday as we fly around the world exploring new and unusual scenery. We combine some great planes and flight plans with second to none pilots who'll always take the time to teach new comers! All are welcome!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic    Revive this topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  Com-Central's Sunday Flights

Topic Archived View previous topic :: View next topic  
JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:37 pm
Post subject: What I did to fix my (and others, apparently) connections...

This is actually fairly simple but I'm gonna write the usual book about it just so it looks like I went through a ton of effort and was therefor a hero.... Laughing

OK, so to recap the events of this last Sunday's flight, I had some trouble getting in. Usually, this problem is accompanied by the aggravating and nauseating "Could not connect to all players" messge but this time was also accompanied by the symptom that my computer couldn't even FIND the COm-Central FSHost server...and it COULD find every other server under the sun.....ARRRGH!

Thusly I fixed the problem (or so I thought) by doing my usual reset routine with my cable modem and router, powering them off and having a smoke for a few minutes, dancing naked while sprinkling some dried chicken bone dust and monkey blood around the network cables, and then powering everything up again and....voila....I got in, just like I usually do.

But then, when it turned out that some others couldn't get in who usually have no problems, and some connections also got dropped, we started to discuss how it had the feel of an IP address problem.....as if several of us were sharing the same exact internal IP address and FSHost was very very confused, thinking we were "in" when in fact we were not. IT was confusing us with someone else....the nerve!!!

So those of us having problems looked at our IP addresses (I run "IPCONFIG" from a command prompt) and sure enough, we all reported the same number.......AHA!

So then I volunteered to disconnect, and lo and behold, suddenly those who were having problems, got in. COOL! But then.....drum roll......I was right back to "Could not locate Server" when trying to connect. So, that confirmed it.

To fix it I crawled out on the wing in mid-flight to mess with the wiring harness and steam pipes going to my cable modem and wireless router inside the left engine nacelle. Other than having my favorite baseball cap blown off in the windstream, it wasn't too tough. I changed my IP address, crawled back in the cockpit, pressed the "Search for Session" (or whatever it's called) button and......CONNECT! Got right in lickety-split and finished the flight without missing a beat.

So.... I said I'd post some pix of what exactly I did and here they are....because, I'll point out, I sure wasn't the only one using this apprently VERY common internal IP address, so I expect this problem will linger as long as 2 or more people with it are trying to be in the same session.

A couple caveats:

1) I have a Linksys router which is a pretty common model, and this is how I did it on mine. Your router and config screen and setup options may vary, and I don't know stuff about other routers at all.

2) I'm fairly technically-savvy but have an ingrained disdain, dread and, truth be told, dislike for TCP/IP and all this newfangled routing, DNS'ing, subnet masking, internal/external addressing and pap that goes along with it. I'm an old-school dude (read: dinosaur) that prefers the old days of RS232 comms and expects to have circles danced around me by "IT weenies" (and I say that in a friendly way)...so if you have input or insight on any of the below, please feel free to fire away, I'm no expert on this stuffarino.....

3) Because I'm paranoid not just for my sake but for yours, actual IP addresses plus the unique MAC addresses of my own personal equipment are fuzzed out below intentionally. Those of us having this problem in the flight all know what it was and thus there's no reason to publically disclose "the IP address which shall not be named".

Anyway I went into my Linksys Router and had already increased (I think) the number of IP addresses my router was set to handle and distribute..this is on the first "page" of options:

Then%20I%20tracked%20down%20the%20place%20where%20I%20add%20my%20systems%20to%20my%20router%20(I%20use%20MAC%20Address%20filtering%20rather%20than%20any%20other%20security%20method%20just%20because%20it's%20straightforward,%20fairly%20secure,%20and%20doesn't%20require%20encryption%20keywords%20and%20other%20nuisances).%20%20On%20the%20Linksys%20router,%20this%20is%20in%20the%20\"Access%20Restrictions\"%20section%20(1),%20then%20the%20\"Edit%20List%20of%20PC's\"%20button%20(2): ...and%20then%20I%20went%20to%20the%20entry%20for%20my%20simming%20rig%20(3)%20and%20changed%20the%20last%20octet%20of%20the%20IP%20address%20assigned%20to%20it%20(4)%20,%20pressed%20SAVE,%20then%20SAVE%20SETTINGS%20back%20at%20the%20main%20page,%20and%20that%20was%20all%20she%20wrote!

As discussed before and after, I did NOT have to change any WIndows XP settings, and left it on "Assign IP Address Automatically" in the network settings. Running IPCONFIG /RENEW made it fetch the new IP address (or a reboot woudl do the same trick). I found that if I entered this IP address in by hand in Windows, I could still connect and fly, and get email, but for whatever reason I could not get a connect with my web browser....so this way works for me.

That's it....enjoy reading the above book on what was really a simple matter, and FYI I'm going to probably change my IP address again to another number that's a bit higher, and "lucky" for me....for no reason other than it makes me feel good. Laughing

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:55 pm
Post subject: Re: What I did to fix my (and others, apparently) connections...

Woops!

Forgot one other important thing.....if you have port forwarding assigned to specific IP addresses for FS9 (and odds are, you do) don't forget to go to those entries and change them to match your new, unique IP.

Nobody needs a screenshot for that though, do they?

Shadow_Homfixr
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:02 pm

HUH? Don't understand a bit of That!!! That don't look noth'n like my DLink router and besides I wouldn't know what to put where...lol! Hope my connection stays good and doesn't bother anyone elses......fingers crossed and still trying to knock Murphy out cold....lol!!!!

Power User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:57 pm

My guess is Homey did it!!!

Uhu_Fledermaus
Aircraft Demolition Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:13 pm
Post subject: Re: What I did to fix my (and others, apparently) connection

- Shadow_Banshee
My guess is Homey did it!!!

Now you've done it Homey !! Laughing
JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:05 pm

ROFL......oh gawd please don't tell me I understand enough of it to confuse other people!! Laughing

Anyway the point is, short and sweet.....got problems connecting and staying connected? Got a router? Dig into how to change the last number of your IP address. Worked this last Sunday.

JG300_Hunt
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:10 pm

I just so happen to have the exact same router (more than likely anyway) and the Linksys pics match up perfectly. Granted, I am not a dinosaur (although gone are my days of hosting BBSs due to this new fangeled "Internet" thing-a-ma-jig). I understood basically what you are talking about. Hopefully I wasn't the cause of things myself. I initially had issues connecting to the server same as Stoopy - Fled walked me through a bit and Wingnut helped me out the rest of the way. Since I am using a router on my trip here, I didnt have this problem at home and thus no problems previous to this. So I went through, opened all of the required port settings, and low and behold, connection! But found it Ironic we all had the same IP. Wonder if it is a default setting in the Linksys config?

Power User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:00 pm

Think you're onto it, it's gotta be........next time there are similar connection problems maybe the one of the first questions to ask is "Are ya usin' a Linksys router?".

"Not that there's anything wrong with that...."

RM_bizkid
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:52 am

Just reading the post and I noted, again...I have the same router.

Last year, I had a client who was in charge of IT for a major corporation. During his visit, he pointed out to me, that all routers of a specific make come with the same internal IP setup....and default user name/password. This makes them a hackers dream. His recommendation, was not to change the individual computer assignment, but to change the IP itself. So if you had 192.168.1.100, the solution was to change the second set of numbers to any value to avoid the hacker probe from just finding the computer assignment. Example 192.149.1.100 and make sure that the user name and password were very unique. This unique second set of numbers should also remove the conflict, but increase security on your PC.
Uhu_Fledermaus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:12 am

rgr biz,

Now we have t make shure that not all have the same number Laughing

so maybe we should make a list NOT PUBLIC and send it by PM so we are shure all can set a number once the number is in use we delete that from the PM list and we ar pretty shure we don't have duplicates.

just a tought Rolling Eyes

fled
Cool
RM_bizkid
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:14 am

For sure Fled...internal IP's are not public domain. It would be like posting your bank card number Laughing Good idea to have the server admins only to have access, and grant yay's or nay's to proposed internal IP's to avoid duplication on the server. (I agree the list should not be public)
JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:48 pm

Just kibbitzing here, but I think you'd want to limit your potential liability in knowing other people's full IP addresses, for no other reason than to avoid misunderstandings just in case someone down the road gets hit with a virus, worm, trojan or other malware due to some unrelated reason that theoretically could be pointed at anyone else being privy to such info.

In other words being in a position where it would be ludicrous for anyone to even suspect the tiniest likelihood of their IP adress being shared with anyone else, would be a good place to position yourself.

JG300 once lost a very good, very promising new member once because that person contracted an email spam problem, which happened to coincide with a time just shortly after joining our group. We don't know - or want to know - anyone's IP address but we do share email addresses of course. And that was enough for this person to have reservations. While there was no basis in fact to support that person's suspicions, it was at the same time very hard to disprove, and so the person left, figuring that it was better to err on the safe side.

There are four octets (numbers) and if only one of them such as the second number, for instance, is unique - and known - that allows for 256 pilots to participate without any possible chance of risk. On top of that, if you allow the option of either the second or third number to be claimed as a unique choice, that yields 65,536 pilots to safely claim one number (256 x 256). And the odds of anyone finding their IP address (or having a conflict in FS) would be the inverse (1 on 65,536) and then only if the first and fourth numbers were also figured out.

For example I could just say that my choice for the second octet will be "123", and the rest is none o'yur beeswax. So I'd be somewhere at xxx.123.xxx.xxx, perfectly unique, and perfectly safe for everyone involved....

Y'think?

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uhu_Fledermaus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:52 pm

absolutely fully agree with ya Stoop !!

Was never the intention of having full numbers, we was just tossing sum ideas in the air.
JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:58 pm

Yup.......just figured it was a good time to enumerate those thoughts just to avoid any misperceptions.

RM_bizkid
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:13 pm

Perfect Security
Post new topic    Revive this topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  Com-Central's Sunday Flights
Page 1 of 2