Indiana Updates - Bedford M60A0
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Indiana Updates - Bedford M60A0 Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 am
    ----
Neil,

Hope these aren't too late to make v. 3.5. Smile

Bedford, Indiana - Indiana ARNG Armory
M60A0, out, S/N 1780

(3.0 doesn't show the S/N)

Geoff

#2: Re: Indiana Updates - Bedford M60A0 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:44 pm
    ----
Geoff - Thanks! BTW, do you have a specific address for it?

Neil

#3: Re: Indiana Updates - Bedford M60A0 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:07 pm
    ----
Neil,

This is what I have,

38.857700, -86.499133

Wink

Joe D

#4: Re: Indiana Updates - Bedford M60A0 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:19 pm
    ----
I knew that was coming... BTW, if I could find a way to convert addresses into GPS I might consider it. I can basically get addresses from GPS, but I havent seen it the other way around...

Neil

#5: Re: Indiana Updates - Bedford M60A0 Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:22 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I knew that was coming... BTW, if I could find a way to convert addresses into GPS I might consider it. I can basically get addresses from GPS, but I havent seen it the other way around...

Neil

It's not automated, but MS Streets and Trips has a tool that gives the LatLon wherever the cursor is placed. There is something similar in Virtual Earth, and as a minimum you can center the image and the URL imbeds the LatLon.

Given a choice of one, I would rather have LatLon. I can place these on a map unabiguously - and automatically - and I'll FIND a way to get there. When I try to plot street addresses I average about a 10% error rate where the address is not recognized because of overlapping municipal/postal town designations, rural areas without individual lot numbers, references to Main Street without noting North Main or South Main, and so forth.

I think you ought to include the LatLon in the Registry when given or available. If some don't have it, so what?

KL

#6: Re: Indiana Updates - Bedford M60A0 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:19 am
    ----
Neil,

I take Google Earth and pretty much drag the Icon over my target. Sometimes it takes a few tries since it likes to default to a street, but generally I get a pretty good LAT/LONG. It is especially helpful for those AFV's located way off the recognized roadways.

Kurt Said:

I can place these on a map unabiguously - and automatically - and I'll FIND a way to get there

I had a very frustrating experience with the Collegedale TN M48A5. The address given on the Memorial web page didn't explain the park was quite a bit off the road and hidden by a mini-mall. Satellite recon was no good since that area is one of the many "Hinterlands" that are not in High-RES mapping so my focus was on a street address. Driving and trying to read building numbers (if even visible) is quite frustrating, especially since I do this solo. Compound this with dense traffic (It's real close to the "Little Debbie" Bakery) and roads which don't allow for easy turn arounds make it even worse. I wasted almost an hour driving around until I found her. Only reason why I didn't give up was I knew she was there based on the web site. To be honest if it was an M59 or M114 (Sorry Roy) I probably would've quit and continued on to my next vehicle, since I usually try to string as many together as possible when traveling. I agree with Kurt, if available, and confirmed, a LAT/LONG would be nice. If you decide to do this I have quite a good list of confirmed grids (Not just M60's either).

Joe D

#7: Re: Indiana Updates - Bedford M60A0 Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:40 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Geoff - Thanks! BTW, do you have a specific address for it?

Neil

Neil,

The address is 2020 19th Street in Bedford.

I got about the same coords as Joe did - a little different in Google Earth (where the tank itself shows up quite well, BTW).

38.857482 -86.499128

The S/N 1780 was a little dim on the front, but I checked the back deck area to make sure - all matched.

The coords for the M47 at Crane are: 38.870804 -86.834914 (this area is too low-res, but that's the tank sitting there).

Geoff

#8: Re: Indiana Updates - Bedford M60A0 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:09 pm
    ----
I'm open to suggestions on how, where I should incorporate coordinates & in what format in the current listings format. For example:

BEDFORD
Indiana ARNG Armory, 2020 19th Street
M60A0 USA out SN 1780 1

-> AFV News Discussion Board