Canadian General Election called for Oct 14
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Canadian General Election called for Oct 14 Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:34 am
    ----
Not an AFV issue, but an example of the democratic exercise ahead for several members of this board. The minority government asked the Governor General to dissolve Parliament this morning. I can only assume the GG already asked the other parties if they wanted to try to form a government and they said no. A general election will occur in 38 days.

The economy and Canada's international standing will likely be two major topics. Afghanistan was mentioned literally in the second paragraph of the outgoing Prime Minister's announcement. The fact that our soldiers in harm's way have tanks, APCs, Light Armoured Fighting Vehicles, 155mm towed artillery, UAVs, and significant other weapons is an example of how this government has faced Canada's responsibilities to the world. And, let's see what the three other parties have to say without looking pathetic.

#2: Re: Canadian General Election called for Oct 14 Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:16 pm
    ----
The two dominant parties (Conservatives and Liberals) are fairly consistent with their support for the troops in Afghanistan, and have all-party agreement to withdraw the troops by Nov 2011. That is still 40 months of combat until that deadline. The three other parties (the New Democrats, le Bloc Quebecois, and the Green Party) have versions of 'get out now' and 'let's talk to everyone about this', in their platform. All parties are sensitized to not criticize soldiers, veterans or grieving families. Except for the fact we are in Afghanistan, the war is almost a non-election issue.

The news today was that a Parliamentary Officer, ie nonpartisan but working for the Speaker who works for all parties, has released budget estimates that say the war in Afghanistan has cost Canada C$22 Billion. Included in that is C$2 billion to upgrade the APC fleet. I haven't read the full text but it would appear that includes the LAVIII, Bison and Coyote. It might include the Nyala, RG31, and extended M113 fleet too. More to follow.

#3: Re: Canadian General Election called for Oct 14 Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:18 am
    ----
The Canadian federal election is one week away. The five major party leaders, well four established and one newcomer parties, have debated in French and English. They have spoken widely in both official languages. They have criss-crossed the country in all directions, one even took the train coast to coast. The negative ads on TV, in print and on billboards have run their course. The newspaper panels have interviewed each ridings' candidates and pronounced their favourites.

And then bad news about the economy wiped out all balanced discourse of the issues. It would seem as though the government (naturally for the Opposition) can't do anything right, nor can the Opposition (according to the government) be trusted to run the country. Although the predictions are still in flux, it looks like another minority government for the Conservatives.

The mission in Afghanistan has been mentioned but almost as a required speaking point. The cost of the war to the treasury has been pegged at C$28 Billion, about C$22 Billion in direct costs and about C$6 Billion of losses to the country from the killed and wounded. No one seems to be too willing to raise the topic, for fear of taking sides. Although there are many serious issues to bring to the table, the parties are avoiding them.

As one political radio show says, a week is an eternity in politics.

#4: Re: Canadian General Election called for Oct 14 Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:13 pm
    ----
Tomorrow is election day in Canada. The predictions suggest another minority government. The only achievement is that each of the parties have policies that force an automatic party leadership review if they lose a general election. There will be new faces in the attack ads and new hands at the wheel when we do this all over again in 18mos or 2yrs.

Four of the five significant parties have policies of benevolent neglect towards the military, and outright hostile policies for private firearms ownership. Although it is has fallen completely off the table, these same four parties have variations of carbon taxes to combat green house gas emissions. (High carbon dioxide emiters will pay a tax, which will be recycled back to low carbon dioxide emiters. Right ...?) Although most Canadians on this forum do not own restored AFVs, you can bet older trucks and cars will become harder to licence and run. Wink Sarcastically, who would anyone want to have an old heavy-weight army truck, when a little 4-cylinder fuel efficient car is all a person really needs?

So, this afternoon I finished getting the 1970 M38A1 CDN 3 Jeep into its winter shelter, and tonight I'll be cleaning my guns. Any guesses which of the five parties I support?

By all means Canadians get out tomorrow and vote. If you can volunteer for the party of your choice to help drive voters to their polling station.

#5: Re: Canadian General Election called for Oct 14 Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:26 am
    ----
Thanks for indulging me and my reporting on the Canadian election.

The government party won more seats than previously, taking most off the opposition party. The other two prominent parties each added seats. If there is no concensus or workable cooperation, we'll be doing this all over again in the near future.

The main themes were the economy, even though the current crisis hasn't hit Canada anywhere nearly as severely as elsewhere, nor could anyone have predicted it would materialize. The expected main themes of the environment and global warming fizzled right from the start. So the campaign plans had to be rejigged midstream, which is not common in Canadian politics. The Minister of National Defence was reelected, but he may be moved around in the expected Cabinet shuffle. No big change expected in the foreign policy or defence plans.

Thanks and out.

-> AFV News Discussion Board