M-8 Armored Car
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M-8 Armored Car Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:42 pm
    ----
This is a WW2 (1944) picture from the 113th Cavalry Group (Iowa Nat'l Guard). Does it appear to have a cupola? Something's different.

#2: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:18 pm
    ----
It's a ring mount for the .50.

#3: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:35 pm
    ----
Yep. 'Nuther one...

#4: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: palic PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:52 pm
    ----
Nice example of Armoured Utility M20. High Visibility MP "camo" on turretless vehicle with ring mount again. "Home made" RF fender.
Picture taken probably in Italy.
What is different?

#5: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:04 pm
    ----
- palic
Nice example of Armoured Utility M20. High Visibility MP "camo" on turretless vehicle with ring mount again. "Home made" RF fender.
Picture taken probably in Italy.
What is different?

It was most assuredly taken in Italy. Foggia, 1945, to be exact. What is different is that my father is in the driver's seat.

#6: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:02 pm
    ----
I see the ring mount now. I was just looking at it wrong. D'oh!

#7: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:28 pm
    ----
I thought it was unusual, as both the M8's here don't have the 'skate ring'. But digging around,......

upload.wikimedia.org/w...e_view.jpg

" Tanks to Go *

Some have them, some don't. Any variant distinction?

Don

#8: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:52 pm
    ----
When you figure this out, please let me know. Pic of the M8 in Foggia (MP vehicle) are datable to a narrow window which I would know.
D.

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:00 am; edited 3 times in total

#9: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:05 pm
    ----
Shocked ....HUH????

#10: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:18 am
    ----
you taking up politics Doug? Laughing

Piney

#11: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:25 am
    ----
The skate rail, using the M49 ring mount was authorized for mounting of the .50 cal. AA machinegun pending development of the "proper" mount. These sets are quite common in the ETOUSA, a few show up in photos credited to Italy, but rare (if ever) in the PTO or CONUS. Also the Allied users don't seem to have had these offered or applied them. This was a depot modification so one can see slight variations in the support "legs". I don't have the Ordnance Drawing number right here but the ring was replaced by a flexible AA/ground mounting that returned the .50 to the original position at the rear of the turret. Several surviving restored M8s still have the ring mount. If you watch the 1969 movie "Bridge at Remagen" there are some brief shots showing a couple Austrian Army M8s in the US column and they have the ring mounts.

Gary

#12: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:01 am
    ----
- Dontos
Shocked ....HUH????

Nevermind....I was in a fugue state. Rolling Eyes

#13: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:39 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
... the M8 in Foggia...

Two wrongs do not make a right, it still is an M20, my dear Mr Kibbey- high time to brush up on your vehicle identification skills, it seems. Mr. Green

Jens O.

#14: Re: M-8 Armored Car Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:46 am
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
- Doug_Kibbey
... the M8 in Foggia...

Two wrongs do not make a right, it still is an M20, my dear Mr Kibbey- high time to brush up on your vehicle identification skills, it seems. Mr. Green

Jens O.

Without a doubt! Laughing

-> AFV News Discussion Board