Machinegun cover for Sherman hull
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Machinegun cover for Sherman hull Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:00 am
    ----
Hello,

I already know that kind of cover for the hull machinegun of Sherman tanks :

Another kind of cover is for sale and I've never seen it before :

is it a regular one? How is it fixed to the hull? thanks

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: Machinegun cover for Sherman hull Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:59 am
    ----

Last edited by MarkHolloway on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Machinegun cover for Sherman hull Author: blair PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:47 am
    ----
I knew that you to be tough to be in the Army but those condoms are a bit much!!

#4: Re: Machinegun cover for Sherman hull Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:27 pm
    ----
Pierre,

What's unusual is it comes with the ball studs that are supposed to be attached to the MG mount. Those studs look like they'd be riveted/ bolted on, not welded like on a tank. I don't think it's for a Sherman, but maybe to an aircraft when parked.

Just a guess, maybe one of our aircraft experts recognizes it.

Joe D

#5: Re: Machinegun cover for Sherman hull Author: binder001 PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:40 am
    ----
In a posting on Missing-Links there was a photo link to shots of the 4th Armored Div in Czeckoslovakia in 1945, on on the photos hows this M5A1 crew - note the MG cover on the bow gun. Maybe not the same - but quite similar.

#6: Re: Machinegun cover for Sherman hull Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 am
    ----
thanks for your replies.

Pierre-Olivier

-> AFV News Discussion Board