Camp Pendleton Oddities for Neil
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Camp Pendleton Oddities for Neil Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:06 pm
    ----
Neil,

Found these posted on a R/C model DG, have no idea what they are. Supposed to be at Camp Pendleton's Mech Museum. They are not listed in the AFV Register Ver. 3.0.

R/C Universe

R/C Universe 1

He also posted pictures of the M103A2 and M60A1 parked next to each other.

R/C Universe 3

A surprise was the M56 pictured behind a fence.

R/C Universe 4

I didn't see it listed in Version 3.0 either.

Joe D

#2: Re: Camp Pendleton Oddities for Neil Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:30 pm
    ----
The first one is that Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle I think. I don't know about the second one but I did see it at Pendleton in the 80's. It was outside with a bunch of other landing craft.

#3: Re: Camp Pendleton Oddities for Neil Author: keef PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:48 pm
    ----
Hi guys,

the second pic looks like the XM759 marginal terrain vehicle from the late 60`s

Keef

#4: Re: Camp Pendleton Oddities for Neil Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:51 pm
    ----
Thanks Joe!

That's an odd EFV prototype... Appears to have a mockup of a remote turret?...

Neil

#5: Re: Camp Pendleton Oddities for Neil Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:25 am
    ----
Heres what I learned from Pendleton's Museum....

The first one is either a General Dynamics Propulsion System Demonstrator that they built to compete with Lockheed Martin's design, to win the contract to build the Expiditionary Fighting Vehicle (amtrac that can go really fast in water).

The second is an XM-579-MTV (Marginal Terrain Vehicle) designed around Vietnam timeframe in order to drive through swamps and stuff.

The only vehicles that don't run in the immediate vicinity of the museum are the M60A1, M103A2 (no engines), and M109A3. Everything else runs.

Cool
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board