Beeping & +
-> Software

#1: Beeping & + Author: Duckie PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:19 am
    ----
Morning Gentlemen: How this finds everyone well. Have a problem that I can't seem to track down so decided to stop by to see if anyone can help with this.
Everytime I try to type anything in a search bar, email, text doc etc I get this + sign running through the window and a beeping. I came across an article that said in was caused by a problem with AVG anti virus which I am running. Followed the fix instructions but seem to be missing somethings. Anyone have any ideas of what cause this and how do I fix it.
Have scanned the entire computer but nothing shows up ie..trojan spyware worm etc.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.... As not to take up allot of spcae here my email addy is meris @ comcast.net.

Thanks guys. Be well Hope to see you guys soon

Duckie

#2: Re: Beeping & + Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:21 am
    ----
Do you get the same thing if you fire up notepad.

If so I would suggest your + key on the keypad is stuck down.

#3: Re: Beeping & + Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:12 am
    ----
Great suggestions Kit and I was thinking the same thing as I was reading about the symptoms.

Duckie, do you have another KB to try? After all, it would hard to ask others for help when Shadow is on your 6 if...

"+help+shadow+is+on+my+6+again" is always scrollin' across the screen... (snickering) Smile

#4: Re: Beeping & + Author: Duckie PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:13 am
    ----
It was always hard with you on my my 6 even without the + lol. Ok not the keyboard thing but i must say my hopes ran high that it was. Good thought though Kit. I'll keep trying to figure this out thanks guys

#5: Re: Beeping & + Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:09 pm
    ----
OK that rules the keyboard out.
How about going into task manager and see if there is anything unusual running, anything taking up cpu ticks when idle?

#6: Re: Beeping & + Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:42 pm
    ----
BTW, did you try to restore to a previous point in time? It's worth a try I think... Wink

If that doesn't work, I'm suspecting a corrupt kernel at this point. If that's the case, a OS reinstall will be in order. I hope I'm wrong and you find it was something simple. Smile

#7: Re: Beeping & + Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:04 pm
    ----
- Kitform
Do you get the same thing if you fire up notepad.

If so I would suggest your + key on the keypad is stuck down.

(if that were true how would he be able to ask about the problem without +++++'s)

#8: Re: Beeping & + Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:43 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
(if that were true how would he be able to ask about the problem without +++++'s)

Very good point Stoopy, I'm presuming Duckies using another computer to communicate with at the moment 'cause he did say...

- Duckie
Everytime I try to type anything in a search bar, email, text doc etc I get this + sign running through the window and a beeping.

'Fess up then Duckie, how you typing messages on here without the string of ++++
Mr. Green

#9: Re: Beeping & + Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:59 am
    ----
Hi Duckie (SW_Duckhunter?)
It sounds to me like you got either some spyware or adware running on your system.
I've had this myself with similar symptoms.
AVG is there to remove viruses.
The trouble is, not all virus removers class adware and spyware as a virus.

Get, install, and run, Spybot Search and Destroy.
Once run it will reside on your system and is almost 'fire and forget'.
It will notify you whenever anything tries to change your registry so you may need to spend a few minutes learning what to allow and what not to, but it ain't that hard.
You should know when you're trying to install something that might alter your registry and when something's trying to sneak past you anyway.

Once you've done that come back and let us know if that finds anything:-
Make a note of anything it reports.
On a first run, it may find a number of things.
It's default set-up is to try and remove them automatically, so the report won't be on screen for long; Suggest getting handy with the "PrtScn" (printscreen) button so you can quickly copy and paste the information presented if required.

If it manages to remove everything, fine. Reboot and see if you still get the same problem.
If it doesn't, it's not the end of the world, there are other ways of treating different problems.
But we'll need to know what the report says first so we know which annoying little s.o.b. we're dealing with.

I'm out most of this weekend but will try and check in whenever I can in case this is spyware and I can offer any help to remove it.

[if Spybot mentions the phrase "trojan downloader" ever, that may turn out to be a whole different ballgame and I'll need to give you specific, more detailed, advice on how to remove that and secure your system.]

-> Software