Vista
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Software

#16: Re: Vista Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:16 pm
    ----
I have 2007 on a couple of my office computers, but as for myself, I use OpenOffice3.x .

When 2007 came out, it saves the files in a different format than previous versions did. 2007 Word saves in .docx as compared to .doc

OpenOffice3 can open the .docx files and since I use Linux most of the time for my personal work machine, OpenOffice files can be used in Linux, Windows and Mac. To me, that's a bit more versatile for my needs. You can also save OpenOffice files to various different formats to allow others with dedicated only programs such as MS Office or Word Perfect.

But back to Vista. I think once it matures, it'll be the gaming OS of choice, that is, unless the OS MS is working on now will fill the role better. I can't help but feel from all the feedback I've read and heard and the experience I've personally had with Vista, that in a small way, reminds me of the Millennium days.. Wink

#17: Re: Vista Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:15 am
    ----
millenium days

I've used every version of Windows since "95".
Millenium was a dead duck.
To give it its due, Vista's not quite that bad.

With ME I could expect a BSOD at least once a day.
Having said that, it installed quickly and simply.
I had to do over fifty installs of Vista which ended up with a Windows file varying between 5Gb and 9Gb in size.
The one I ended up with was 7.5Gb and, a year later, is 15.2Gb.

I'm aware many people are quite happy with it.
Me, and the rest, are pleased for them.
Demmit!

#18: Re: Vista Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:40 am
    ----
Regarding office 2007 issue's, yep, you can save the documents in other formats but you can't be sure how they 'work' on office 2003 installs.
I like to verify my programs first before I give them away.
One of my access programs from 2003 would not run on 2007 because of a macro issue, what a job I had even with trusted certificates to get the damn thing running in 2007.

The way I see it, Vista needs more time, not really for the OS but for other software to catch up, although they say it's Vista compatible, it's actually Vista pain as it's not that compatible.

I'm having a fight with Poser and Daz at the moment, I don't think Vista likes software on other drives, I have four hard drives fitted, and if I install Daz onto another hard drive Vista comes back with the wrong syntax for the location. An example...

C:\Program Files\Daz
or
E:/Daz

Simple enough fix you may think but self installing add-on's won't work as it can't find the file as the path syntax is wrong.

Vista won't remember my password to the NAS drive, I have to input it every time.

Just tried to install HyperLobby, keep getting a file name error, after having a read through the hyperfighter forum other users are also having problems since SP1 came out.

Over the last few days I've read and read various forums to get answers as to why this piece or that piece of software won't install or won't work.
I can't go on like this for the amount of software that still need to go on my machine, it normally takes me a week or two to put software back on after a reinstall of XP but this is going to take a month at least with a lot of reading to find answers to problems with Vista.

Going for a walk and when I come back I may just put an XP mirror back on the machine and give Vista another year before I try it again.

-> Software