M114 Lingle questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M114 Lingle questions Author: wgtacticalLocation: Carrollton, Georgia PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:37 pm
    ----
I just saw a M114A1E1 (aka M114A2) with a white interior. The paint is old and peeling in many places, and even the paint underneath was white as well. I could find no evidence that the interior was ever any other color. I thought that the later variants were all seafoam green. The MFG date was stamped at 1964. Additionally, I have some NOS interior parts for the A1 and A2 variants that are white as well. Is both seafoam green or white correct for the M114A1E1?
Also, I noticed a correct (and quite rare) trailer hitch bar mounted on the roof near the observers hatch. Anyone seen this before?

#2: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:54 pm
    ----
I recently sent Roy Lingle an original Org Maint. Manual for the M114 series of vehicles, so maybe he can dig these tidbits up when he gets a chance to logon.

Pretty sure the pine cone was non-standard, though. Mr. Green

#3: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:31 am
    ----
I've only seen the towbar on the prototypes. (T114) My memory is a little foggy but I mainly remember white interiors.

#4: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:50 am
    ----
wgtactical,

I've seen both, recent examples were the Decatur TN track which was Sea Foam Green and the Knoxville TN one which was white and rebuilt last at Pueblo Army Depot IAW the overhaul tag. IIRC all the M114's they used at Graf for berms and hard targets were white inside, but that was over 20 years ago and like Mark said, the memory is a little foggy sometimes.

I don't know what models of M114 they were but I can post pictures of the Decatur and Knoxville tracks if you'd like to see what they are.

Joe D

#5: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:49 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

During my time in the Army and with M114A1s and A2s, all the vehicles I worked with were sea foam green. A few looked like they had been repainted because there was white under the green.

A M114A2 with white? I guess it's possible. I would think that when the vehicle was upgraded with the XM-27 turret that it would have been repainted green.

A M114A2 with a tow bar kit? Not standard issue. By the time the M114A1s and A2s had been fielded, it was understood that the power train was under powered for moving the basic vehicle and should NOT be used to tow anything.

Doing my time, I never saw the tow bar kit. I did know the origianl vehicles had one because there was information and pictures in the driver's manuel.

I would be VERY interested in see more pictures of this vehicle if you have them, please.

My 2 cents of old history,
Sgt, Scouts out!

#6: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: wgtacticalLocation: Carrollton, Georgia PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:43 pm
    ----
Heres a few more

#7: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:27 pm
    ----
You got a HEMTT Fueler?

#8: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: wgtacticalLocation: Carrollton, Georgia PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:29 pm
    ----
No, this equipment is not mine.

#9: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:32 pm
    ----
I just noticed the last photo shows a trailer electrical receptacle. I never remember seeing that.

#10: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: wgtacticalLocation: Carrollton, Georgia PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:54 pm
    ----
I suppose these things were being changed or modified in different ways during the whole time they were in service. Seems anyone you talk to who's familiar with these machines remembers something a little bit different about each one. Many has never seen the hitch outside manuals, then I come across this one which has one along with provisions to store it on the roof of the hull Shocked I was always curious how you would happen to have a hitch when you needed it, when there was no apparent way to keep it with you, aside from having it installed...making use of the rear hatch impossible Confused Anyway, I made the necessary hardware and added this feature to mine. Now I need to get copies of the decals and other plates so I can have new ones made. I have good decals to repro for the M139 already, and I also have a NOS ID plate which has "M114A1E1" printed, where many just had the "E1" stamped onto a "M114A1" plate.

#11: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:38 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

I remember vehicles that had and vehicles that didn't have that trailier plug. The odd thing about it, you could plug a jeep trailer into it as I remember.

Thanks for the photos WGT!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#12: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:41 pm
    ----
Here is a few shots I have of the two M114's at Ft McCoy

It seems both have the trailer connector. Only got interior shots of the 'hard target' M114.

Don

#13: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:27 pm
    ----
That's the "Recovery Training Range" at McCoy, should be an M551 there.

That connector is the standard one used for all trailer's, the cover actually locking into a slot in the top of the trailer cable plug when raised. Since the M114 is aluminum, it wouldn't be very hard for a BN shop to order them and put them in and run a wire harness to them.

Joe D

#14: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:39 am
    ----
Roy, a JEEP trailer is probably all they could pull!

Dontos, What was the bumper number on that M114?

#15: Re: M114 Lingle questions Author: wgtacticalLocation: Carrollton, Georgia PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:57 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
wgtactical,

I've seen both, recent examples were the Decatur TN track which was Sea Foam Green and the Knoxville TN one which was white and rebuilt last at Pueblo Army Depot IAW the overhaul tag. IIRC all the M114's they used at Graf for berms and hard targets were white inside, but that was over 20 years ago and like Mark said, the memory is a little foggy sometimes.

I don't know what models of M114 they were but I can post pictures of the Decatur and Knoxville tracks if you'd like to see what they are.

Joe D

Yes Joe, I would like to see those pictures

-> AFV News Discussion Board