Weird turrets on IS-2 tanks
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Weird turrets on IS-2 tanks Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:38 pm
    ----

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/bear-ru/view/10266/

Hello,

Could someone help me to identify the turret carried by the vehicles number 3 and 4 (from left to right)? The turret carried by number 2 seems to be a rare KV-2 one but I can't identify the other ones..

Picture taken at the Museum of Military Air Forces of the Northern Fleet, Safonovo, Smolensk Oblast (Russia)

thanks

P-O

#2: Re: Weird turrets on IS-2 tanks Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:48 pm
    ----
Looks like a KV-1 turret sitting on that chassis.

#3: Re: Weird turrets on IS-2 tanks Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:41 pm
    ----
There are 21 tanks identified there in Preserved Tanks in Russia (pages 72-3), including an IS-2M fitted with a KV-2 turret with replica mantlet, and two IS-2M's fitted with replica KV-1 turrets and guns. One of the more interesting vehicles is a Sherman with a hatch in the glacis plate (a la T-34). The implication is that these vehicles have mostly been mocked up, perhaps for a film.

I'm currently putting PTIR online at preservedtanks.com. The Kubinka chapter will be up later this month, and this chapter should follow next month.

#4: Re: Weird turrets on IS-2 tanks Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:04 am
    ----
thanks Trevor for your help.

Pierre-Olivier

#5: Re: Weird turrets on IS-2 tanks Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:37 pm
    ----
No problem. Unfortunately I've misplaced the other photo's or I'd post them. I hope I find them before I need them (otherwise I'll have to use the black & white scans done for the book).

-> AFV News Discussion Board