ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:24 am
    ----
Yeah, as far as I know, Korea was the only place they had A3s set up for rollers. I've got a lot of good pics of Marine A1s set up for rollers during Desert Storm. I'm really more interested in seeing the mounts than to see them with the rollers mounted. Thanks.

#17: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:50 pm
    ----
When I was with 3AD in Germany they had roller tanks in Gelnhausen. Somewhere in one of my references I have the total amount of roller kits with tanks produced for M60's. They were not unique to Korea.

The kit was based on captured Russian examples the Egyptians used in the '73 war. IIRC it wasn't around til '77 when the US Army started to try out their own version.

Here are some shots of the mounting hard points.

Roller Tank Mounts

If a crew mounted the roller they would un-bolt the bilge pump exhaust elbow next to heater pipe and run the electric control/power cable from there.

Joe D

#18: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:10 pm
    ----
Hey, Joe, any luck finding that pic of the swing mount for the M60? If not, could you describe it? Thanks.

#19: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:33 am
    ----
Not yet,

If I have to I'll draw one, but my skills are limited. Give me a few more days to see what I can find.

Joe D

#20: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:49 pm
    ----
Tanker 2010,

My memory is not what it was I guess. That's what happens when you try shoot from the hip without checking references. The Korea M60A3's were set up like the M48A5's were. They used the standard M60D pintle (M142) and could be positioned forward or to the side. There isn't very much info on the set up, or pictures for that matter. Gotta figure only 10 Company's (Apx 150) along with the "Floats" were set up that way and were only used for 5 years. The link is something I put together to help if you decide to model one. Click on the pictures for a narrative.

M60D mount

The M60D is the same as the one used in Helicopters. No forward guard, butterfly trigger, and rear "Spider Sight".

Joe D

#21: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:45 am
    ----
Thanks a million, Joe. The TM shot of the M142 mount was a great help. I'm also working on a Ranger gun jeep from Urgent Fury and spent about 4 hours last night searching the web for good shots of it. It's also the same mount they used on the pintle mount on M151s. Here's a good shot from back in the day, at Ft.Lewis

Thanks again, Gary.

#22: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:08 am
    ----
No problem,

Gotta put my references to use once in a while. Just share pics when your done.

Joe D

#23: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:31 am
    ----
Ok, one more question for you Joe....well maybe 2. Who was the Divisonal CAV SQD at that time. 5/17 or 4/7? I assume A,B, and C Troops were mech, what would tanks bumper number be with in the troop? Would the CAV have roller tanks?

Found this pic on 2ID's Museum site. Another Roller tank.

www-2id.korea.army.mil...rtual.html

#24: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:45 am
    ----
I vaguely remember the 2ID museum, back 91-92, at Camp Casey.

Can't remember if there was a tank there, or not. Perhaps JoeD remembers better.

Regards
Don

#25: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:55 am
    ----
- tanker2010
Thanks a million, Joe. The TM shot of the M142 mount was a great help. I'm also working on a Ranger gun jeep from Urgent Fury and spent about 4 hours last night searching the web for good shots of it. It's also the same mount they used on the pintle mount on M151s. Here's a good shot from back in the day, at Ft.Lewis

Thanks again, Gary.

Even further back in the day. Laughing

#26: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:26 pm
    ----
Gary,

I know for a fact the DIV CAV was 5-17 in 1990/91. They still had M60A3's until Around August 91. They then turned them all in and were straight M3 Bradley from then on. Some of their tankers came to Casey if they had less then 8 months in country, the rest got early PCS's stateside. They used to be 4-7 but were re-flagged in early '88 to 5-17 CAV. In '89 they re-flagged 3-12 CAV of 3AD to 4-7. That's how they got their Desert Storm streamer. When 3AD went away 4-7 became 1-1 of 1 AD between 91-92. When I was in Korea 94-95 they still were 5-17 that I can remember, but they did have tanks again. Just before I got there 1st and 2nd tank had sent 2 platoons each with tanks (IIRC) to Camp Pelham (Later re-named Gary Owen). The Tank Battalions then got replacement tanks and crews. By the time I went back in '99 they were 4-7 CAV again.

When they had M60A3's they should've been under the old "H" series of CAV. 3 line troops (A,B,C) and an HHT. Each line Troop having 12 Tanks.
I was in A troop 3-12 CAV, 3 AD when they were "H" series and our bumper numbers were as follows,

30 Slick M113, Platoon Leader
31 Dragon M113, Scout Section SGT
32 M901 ITV
33 M901 ITV
34 Dragon M113,
35 M60A3, Platoon Sgt
36 M60A3
37 M60A3
38 M60A3, Tank Section SGT
39 M113, 4.2 Mortar (All mortars were consolidated into HQ PLT)

Obviously we were 3rd Platoon.

We did not have roller or blade tanks, those were not authorized to DIV CAV since our mission was Zone Recon and RACO, with the option to consolidate all the tanks and make a "Fire Brigade" that would respond to any arising threat/ breakthrough.

That doesn't mean the CAV in Korea didn't have them (Rollers). My experience was 2 ID did pretty much what it wanted to if the mission dictated. They answered to Eighth Army.

BTW, the Museum is at CRC (Camp Red Cloud) Uijionbu. And that is NOT an M26, but is a much rarer M46 that used to sit in front of the 1st BDE HQ's on Casey. Maybe they need to be straightened out.

Ascout,

OG-107 Jungle Fatigues, most comfortable uniform ever, and cheap too!

Joe D

#27: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:34 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

Ascout,

OG-107 Jungle Fatigues, most comfortable uniform ever, and cheap too!

Joe D

Minor quibble. I think the hot-weather Nomex was the ultimate in comfort, but durability wasn't there. And it won't keep you dry or warm.

Jungle Fatigues were great for dirty work, though. Laughing

#28: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:34 pm
    ----
Isn't the M60 mount the same as found on the M114?

#29: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:40 pm
    ----
'2X' moved from Casey to CRC after I left in July 92. I guess the museum went with DIV HQ.

Bde had a tank in front? I just remember 'ours', at 2nd tank.

[img][/img]

I don't remember any other statics on Casey. But then, I was a bit too preoccupied,......SOJU does that to you. Cool

Don

#30: Re: ROK memories (M60A3 for JoeD) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:52 pm
    ----
Ascout said:

Minor quibble. I think the hot-weather Nomex was the ultimate in comfort, but durability wasn't there. And it won't keep you dry or warm.

I can't make a comparison, since I didn't get issued any Nomex until I became an "M1 Tanker" in late 90, and I personally did not like them, but then again these were CVC Nomex and not Aviators, who had a much higher quality to my knowledge. Ours always blew out the ass and the jacket sizes were way off. Unless you were a little guy the jacket sleeves never went past your mid forearm. Looked like a kid who outgrew their clothes. At least with the "Jungles" they were real cheap at the time and they were yours (Phased out OCT 87 IIRC). Nomex was either CIF or Unit supply and getting them DX'd was always a hassle, usually requiring a damage statement.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board