HP and some GPU issues...
-> Hardware

#1: HP and some GPU issues... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:51 pm
    ----
OH OH, best to know this upfront and hopefully BEFORE you bought one of these... Wink

- PC Pro News
Updated: HP confirms Nvidia flaw hits desktops 11:07AM, Tuesday 14th October 2008
HP has confirmed that Nvidia's faulty GPUs have created faults with 38 different models in its slimline PC range.

Nvidia's GPU problems have so far been confined to laptops, but HP says Nvidia parts are also to blame for the problem in its desktops.

"HP is aware that certain Nvidia chips used in the HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop PCs may experience issues," the company claims in a statement sent to PC Pro.

"Some of these computers may not boot or may not display video. Computers experiencing either or both of these symptoms, attributable to the computer's motherboard, are eligible for HP's Limited Warranty Service Enhancement."

Several of the PCs on HP's list of affected models are sold specifically in the UK, including the Pavilion s3015.uk, s3040.uk and the s3115.uk.

Nvidia says the issue with the HP desktops isn't necessarily linked to the laptop GPU issues. "It is slimline, notebook-like design but there is no conclusive evidence that the failure mechanism is the same as the notebook issue we announced in July," the company's director of product PR, Luciano Alibrandi, told PC Pro.

"We are working very closely with HP to determine if/how the Nvidia chipset is involved in the failures.

Modern PCs are complex and OEMs determine their own warranty and repair programs based on their individual testing."

To see the full article, CLICK HERE!

#2: Re: HP and some GPU issues... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:29 pm
    ----
Bet it turns out to be HP that's at fault....

#3: Re: HP and some GPU issues... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:54 pm
    ----
I won't take you up on that bet Shades as since there's only a small amount of notebook manufacturers and they build for a majority of the major brand companies AND HP is the only one with the issue... Smile

#4: Re: HP and some GPU issues... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:00 pm
    ----
Wink

I offered to build my Dad a system a couple of years ago.
Rather than put me to the trouble, he went off and bought himself what he thought was a good rig without even asking my advice.
It was an HP.
The miles I've done trying to sort out the various problems he's had with it or related to it.
I could've built him five just for the cost in petrol.
Even the store he got it from gave up on the first two and replaced them (he's on his third warranty replacement).
My old Dell was better than that.
Just.
heheh

#5: Re: HP and some GPU issues... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:18 pm
    ----
Now was it a true 'old' HP or a 'new' HP that is actually what we used to know as Compaq? HP used to build bland but reliable systems. Since the merger ...

-> Hardware