Mid `70s M114A2
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Mid `70s M114A2 Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:14 pm
    ----
Got to love them old starched up uniforms and the 7th Army camo scheme.

#2: Re: Mid `70s M114A2 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:15 pm
    ----
Great picture! What unit, 3/32nd?

#3: Re: Mid `70s M114A2 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:02 pm
    ----
Reminds me of a Company Commander we had,

Would wear his cotton coveralls to gunnery, Starched with super sharp creases Rolling Eyes .

Best thing about BDU's were we weren't allowed to starch or press them when they first came out. That didn't last long when all the clowns who didn't get dirty thought they looked "Frumpy" . Instead of enforcing the "No Starch" policy they went 180 degrees and encouraged it. At the same time saying the cap was not to be "shaped or blocked" Mad . Right before I got out I started seeing ACU's turned in to cleaners to be pressed and starched Shocked . I pray that wiser folks don't change their minds and encourage this look for the new soldiers. It's just a big waste of time and money. If you want to look sharp and work in an office, wear your class B's. Otherwise wear them they way they were intended Razz .

Getting of my soapbox now
Mr. Green
Joe D

#4: Re: Mid `70s M114A2 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:34 am
    ----
- tanker2010
Got to love them old starched up uniforms

...and tailored. If that RTO eats a taco or bends over, he's gonna' bust right out of those fatigues.

Rifleman: "Halt, who goes there? Answer quickly or I shall poke you with my flash suppressor!"

#5: Re: Mid `70s M114A2 Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:53 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
...and tailored. If that RTO eats a taco or bends over, he's gonna' bust right out of those fatigues.

But damn, we looked good doing it.

#6: Re: Mid `70s M114A2 Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:00 pm
    ----
Call me naive but that's a first for me on that camo for the M114.

Awesome pic.

#7: Re: Mid `70s M114A2 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:52 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
Call me naive but that's a first for me on that camo for the M114.

That's how they looked when I was in Germany. I say there was too much sand color. I thought the border cav had the best camo schemes.

#8: Re: Mid `70s M114A2 Author: wgtacticalLocation: Carrollton, Georgia PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:57 pm
    ----
Does anyone know how many marking examples these M114s had during their brief service? I am looking for one for the M114A1E1 we are finely restoring. I have seen Bakers M114A1 with the black horse over red/white, but I have no idea if they were marked that way in the field. Any help and pictures will be appreciated.

#9: Re: Mid `70s M114A2 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:26 pm
    ----
I remember them similar to this example. Only this triangle is upside down and our large numbers were white. The color of the triangle represented which squadron you were in. The "322" represents 3=C Troop 2=Second platoon 2=Vehicle #2. I was in B Troop, 1st Squadron, 3rd ACR. We had a yellow triangle and all B Troop vehicles started with a '2' on the large number. I was in 1st Platoon Scouts so the large number on our section was "211" through "214" and the platoon leaser in "216". So for example if the bumper number was 'A-23' then the big number would be '123'.

#10: Re: Mid `70s M114A2 Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:35 pm
    ----
Probably the best place for images would be JED

#11: Re: Mid `70s M114A2 Author: wgtacticalLocation: Carrollton, Georgia PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:47 pm
    ----
Thanks Mark,
These machines (or at least photos of them) must be really rare. I've been looking for resource info along with some odds and ends parts for a couple of years now. There are tons of drive related stuff out there, but very limited supplies on the rest of it. One thing is for certain, when this resto is finished, there's no way I would consider another. Laughing

-> AFV News Discussion Board