What is this?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What is this? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:39 pm
    ----
Big SP Gun,

US SP

Joe D

#2: Re: What is this? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:44 pm
    ----
1945 -U.S.A. T-92 240mm SP Howitzer
T-93 8" Gun Motor Carriage

#3: Re: What is this? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:52 pm
    ----
Thanks,

Thought the suspension looked familiar, didn't realize it was that old, thinking more along early '50's creation.

Joe D

#4: Re: What is this? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:16 pm
    ----
And there is supposedly one 'behind the fence' at Aberdeen. Where was that picture taken?

#5: Re: What is this? Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:18 pm
    ----
That's the TACOM one, Drive by it every day.......

#6: Re: What is this? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:57 pm
    ----
I was doing some aerial recons of the Detroit area (Google Map).

Didn't have my AFV register with me.

Joe D

#7: Re: What is this? Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:26 pm
    ----
Ironically, the vehicles here at TACOM are probably not on the TACOM Army loan office register, it is my understanding that the vehicles here on the arsenal are owned by the CMH.

They just added some stuff to the front lawn too, the M110 is gone, replaced with a M109A6, and they put an MGS next to the M1 and added an armored HMMWV.

#8: Re: What is this? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:27 pm
    ----
I'm reading M. Doubler's "Closing With the Enemy" and he makes mention of using 155mm guns and at least once a 240mm gun in direct-fire mode in taking some villages and heavy fortifications. I wondered what the 240mm was.

What chassis is this built on?

#9: Re: What is this? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:32 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
I'm reading M. Doubler's "Closing With the Enemy" and he makes mention of using 155mm guns and at least once a 240mm gun in direct-fire mode in taking some villages and heavy fortifications. I wondered what the 240mm was.

What chassis is this built on?

Just a click away,....

"These were the heaviest SP guns built in the U.S. The chassis for these monsters was from the M26E3 Pershing Heavy Tank."

Don

#10: Re: What is this? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:42 pm
    ----
Heres a PDF link. Good Info on this subject, for all you 'Cannon Cocker' buffs

REPORT ON FIELD ARTILLERY CONFERENCE

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board