THIS is "Tiger Joe"....
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:25 pm
    ----
THIS IS TIGER JOE

(Any resemblence to forum members, living or dead, is purely a coincidence. Not available in some states. Limited warranty may apply. Sold in food markets only)

(and apparently, auto-loader equipped!)

#2: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:44 pm
    ----
Never had one,

My brother did have a tin Japanese B.O. tank with a red light at the tube and bump and go action. Like many of those toys, they didn't last very long. Too fragile to survive our sandbox wars. Think my Mom got it at a Wool Worths in Santa Maria. Also had a variety of clock work/BO Schucco and GAMA tin tanks when we lived in Germany. Those also have all gone to the big toy box in the sky Crying or Very sad . Those toys were few and far between so you really appreciated them when you got them. My Nephew's and Nieces get something every time they leave the house.

Joe D

#3: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:51 pm
    ----
Joe,
Yeah, I appreciate the point about "reliability". If you think "Tiger Joe" is stupifyingly complex for "sandbox" warfare, check this one out.

I had to be satisfied with MPC ringhand/slothand figures and setting fire (with gasoline accelerant) to Revell cruisers in the creek in front of our house. A good pellet gun was a must. Of course, those were "one take" shots, so hitting the re-set button was not an option.

Dirt clods, however, were in abundant supply and the little MPC guys very resiliant.

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

#4: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:38 pm
    ----
How to Kill Tiger Joe

#5: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:58 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway

Guess what we "of a certain age" called my M16A1 with M203. Wink

#6: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:31 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
- MarkHolloway

Guess what we "of a certain age" called my M16A1 with M203. Wink

Not sure of 'YOUR' term, but I spent some time 'lugging' around the 'combo'

[img][/img]

This is in 'the Dust Bowl' at NTC in Jan 1986, and my personal weapon.

Regards
Don

#7: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:27 pm
    ----
To think I actually enlisted when I could have had this instead... Shocked

Gung Ho Commando

Serves pretty much every cliché including the bumbling straggler and the, ahem, full-figured kid.

I am sure Congressmen of the time looked at these commercials to get inspiration for weapons programs. Laughing

Jens O.

#8: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:55 pm
    ----
I'd have loved any of those as a kid!

I didn't get a radio-controlled tank until my parents bought me one a couple of years back (after I'd turned 40!). It didn't quite compare to the ones being shown at the Duxford show this year, unfortunately:

BTW, is anyone here into RC tanks at all (seriously or otherwise)? I might buy a couple more as the kids are keen on them.

#9: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:06 pm
    ----
That's a very nice looking Rover that kids driving in the background.

#10: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:10 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
I'd have loved any of those as a kid!

I didn't get a radio-controlled tank until my parents bought me one a couple of years back (after I'd turned 40!). It didn't quite compare to the ones being shown at the Duxford show this year, unfortunately:

BTW, is anyone here into RC tanks at all (seriously or otherwise)? I might buy a couple more as the kids are keen on them.

I have 6 1/16th scale Tamiya tanks and 6 more to go in the stash. I used to IR battle with them but that's turned out to be more of a hassle than it's worth, so I just spend what quality time left in the day on detailing them.

I wish that more modern tanks were available than just WWII. Like the M551, M60A2 or the M47 ... all would be more appreciated than what's out there right now. But beggars can't be choosers. Laughing

#11: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:07 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
To think I actually enlisted when I could have had this instead... Shocked

Gung Ho Commando

Serves pretty much every cliché including the bumbling straggler and the, ahem, full-figured kid.

I am sure Congressmen of the time looked at these commercials to get inspiration for weapons programs. Laughing

Jens O.

You realize, of course, that casual visitors to this site probably picture the membership exactly as depicted. Wink

#12: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:05 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
I have 6 1/16th scale Tamiya tanks and 6 more to go in the stash. I used to IR battle with them but that's turned out to be more of a hassle than it's worth, so I just spend what quality time left in the day on detailing them.

I wish that more modern tanks were available than just WWII. Like the M551, M60A2 or the M47 ... all would be more appreciated than what's out there right now. But beggars can't be choosers.

That's pretty serious! I have a Tamiya wire-remote-control 1/25th Tiger I made in my teens, but the recent acquisition is just an off-the-shelf Leopard, similar to this:

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your models.

#13: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:09 am
    ----
...and how could we forget....

..."Every boy wants a Remco toy"......?

#14: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:38 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum

That's pretty serious! I have a Tamiya wire-remote-control 1/25th Tiger I made in my teens, but the recent acquisition is just an off-the-shelf Leopard, similar to this:

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your models.

Yeah, but I have no other hobbies or vices either. Razz I can work on some pictures once I get off my lazy rear and get the camera repaired or replaced.

Maybe after the new year?

#15: Re: THIS is "Tiger Joe".... Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:37 pm
    ----
- A-109E

...and how could we forget....

..."Every boy wants a Remco toy"......?

Very nice - looks like it fires too - I'd have loved that as a kid.

- JeffStringer

Yeah, but I have no other hobbies or vices either. Razz I can work on some pictures once I get off my lazy rear and get the camera repaired or replaced.

Maybe after the new year?

In the new year is fine - I look forward to seeing the pics. I'm expecting my Leopard to get dusted off and well used over the Christmas holidays. In fact, my eldest daughter (10) has asked Santa Claus to bring her a self-assemble tank model - I wonder how unusual that is?! It comes with a plane in a twin pack.

Of course, once they're assembled we'll have to shoot them with the Leopard just to check we've done a good job...

-> AFV News Discussion Board