Track of the day....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  :| |:
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#301: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:23 am
    ----
Bonus track....great acoustic song.

Love this combination of instruments....

The mandolin makes a great tune perfect.

#302: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:16 am
    ----
This one goes out to anyone that can relate. Stoopy?

Perfectly Good Guitar

Saw him as warmup for Jackson Browne at the San Diego Embarcadero in '94 when both had current albums (including this one) out. Fantastic.
San Diego Bay was filled with small craft catching the concert from the water.

#303: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:54 am
    ----
GFR is mostly just remembered for "I'm your captain" today, but I always thought this was the best thing they ever did. And I like the 'tude of the guy who posted it.

We listened to this album and song a lot in the barracks before shipping out to VN that year. I don't know who the guest female vocalist was, but her voice is terrific.

This piece has an unusual intro with the childrens' "interview", but it's worth listening to as a preface to the song that starts at 1:24. Don't be discouraged or skip it....

"I can feel Him in the morning"

#304: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:41 pm
    ----
Well, I think we've all been here..... Mr. Green

Cardboard Boxes

Gotta' luv those "Rawhide" whip crack effects...

#305: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:50 am
    ----
"Six and Twelve String Guitar" is required listening for you, Stoop. The CD is available.

Read this...

www.classicrecords.com...0G-CLARITY

This is a high-zoot, new remastered vinyl for purists, but the CD is out there.

...'cuz that pretty much sums it up. And you know you're in for some blistering slide with tune titled "Vaseline Machine Gun", a Kottke standard.

#306: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:40 am
    ----
John Fahey's "Hawaiian Two Step". I think is on "After The Ball" (which is an album the cover of which would totally scare you away if you didn't know what it was about). The playing on the album is technically much better than this live version.

Hawaiian Two Step

Most of his stuff is available on CD's

www.cduniverse.com/sea...e+Ball.htm

#307: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:11 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
John Fahey - hate to say I'm not familiar with him but that was THOROUGHLY enjoyable!

And hey how 'bout some Spinal Tap to help clean that Umlaut stuff out of our ears now??!!!! Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

John Fahey was a pioneer of the musical expression of "American primitivism" (a term borrowed from visual art). His playing is usually austere, but technically fantastic. He was the founder of Takoma Records and greatly influenced (and recorded, and recorded with) Leo Kottke and Peter Lange (Kottke's first record "6 & 12 String Guitar", sometimes called the "Armadillo" album for the picture on the cover, was on Takoma before Capital Records pick Leo up). They were all great friends and mutual admirers. His first album, "Blind Joe Death" (1959) is a classic, still have my copy, as well as "After the Ball" and the compilation album with Kottke and Lange. He transformed the Episcopalian hymn "In Christ There Is No East or West" on guitar. I have versions by both himself and Leo Kottke. Neither is is on Youtube, but this guy did a decent version. The tempo change in the middle completely changes your perception of what seems uninspired, which is Fahey's doing. This guy seems to me to have been a banjo player who took up guitar, but he does not butcher the tune. Kottke's recording of this on his early "Greenhouse" album is what I'd consider the definitive version. Wish it was on youtube. It was basically Kottke's tribute to Fahey.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Uv4TS3GE4

Fahey fell on a period of poor health and very hard times for a number of years before making something of a comeback before his passing in '01. He is a legend among traditional acoustic guitarists. He gave many of them a place to be heard and recorded before other "microlabels" came to be. I'm not sure guys like Leo Kottke would have ever been heard of had it not been for Fahey blazing the trail.

#308: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:47 am
    ----
John Fahey - hate to say I'm not familiar with him but that was THOROUGHLY enjoyable!

And hey how 'bout some Spinal Tap to help clean that Umlaut stuff out of our ears now??!!!! Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

#309: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:11 am
    ----
Spin-off of the X-15 thread in the "Officer's Club", but this version is instrumental version by the late, great....

John Fahey.....RIP (had precious of it in life)

#310: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:31 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
GREAT stuff but, Hey! No track of the day today, wha's that aboot, eh???

Don't tell me we'll have to resort to.....

Long live Molvania!

Spineless, gutless, BALL-LESS bubble-gum fru-ha-ha!! I'll see you one Molvania and raise you one "Umlaut".

Umlaut's tribute to an American Hero....

#311: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 am
    ----
Aufmerksamkeit! Fahren Sie nicht zu dieser Musik!

Georg Thorogood und die Zerstörer mit John Hammond, Jr.

#312: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:41 am
    ----
The original Eagles (Glenn Frey, Bernie Leadon, Randy Meissner and Don Henley).

I saw them do this live in '74. It was quite an evening.

Train Leaves Here This Morning

Was co-written with Gene Clark (Byrds) and performed by Dillard and Clark also, a commendable performance available at Youtube. For the time being.

This has been yanked before, so listen while you can.

#313: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:43 am
    ----
MAN, I miss these guys!

Ozark Mountain Daredevils from the good ol' days...

And years later, and not a bitchin' as it was on the album, but it's the best I can find....

"Black Sky"

Which (among other things) inspired me to draw what follows....

"well I sure take it with me wherever I go
and you might like to see it but it never does show
like a wind in the valley that never does blow
like the grass in the back you never did mow
it's a black sky formin' on the ridge
it's a woman waitin' standin' on the bridge
it's the price that you pay for walkin' on the ledge
it's everything you do and nothin' that you did
(HARP & GUITAR DITTY)

well you might see me drivin' in the wrong side of town
and you might see me shinin' when the rain's comin' down
like a diamond that's hidin' in the lost and found
like a coon that's runnin' from a red bone hound
it's everything you do and nothin' that you did
(HARP & GUITAR SOLO)

well the wood keeps burnin' in the old wood stove
and the cows keep goin' where they done been drove
and a light keeps glowin' in a dead man's cove
and a loom keeps spinnin' where the weave getsa wove
it's everything you do and nothin' that you did"

#314: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:25 am
    ----
ELO musta' heard of JG300....

"The world outside don't like us much, 'cause they ain't got our classy touch...."

Someday, Com-Central Wilderness Camp will get all built up like this.

#315: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:53 am
    ----
Quick, before the music police get it removed....
Fantastic lyric structure, and great cheezy organ...

Visions of Johanna

"Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're tryin' to be so quiet?
We sit here stranded, though we're all doin' our best to deny it
And Louise holds a handful of rain, temptin' you to defy it
Lights flicker from the opposite loft
In this room the heat pipes just cough
The country music station plays soft
But there's nothing, really nothing to turn off
Just Louise and her lover so entwined
And these visions of Johanna that conquer my mind"

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum