Track of the day....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next  :| |:
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#76: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:48 pm
    ----
Something a little...."lighter" Wink

"She's Got You" - Great Patsy Cline spoof

#77: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:15 pm
    ----
"Bought myself a brand new Airmobile
It was custom made
Like a Coupe DeVille
With an powerful motor
And some hideaway wings
Push in on the button and you can make her sing....."

But You Can't Catch Me, Cause if You Get Too Close I'll be Gone Like A Cool Breeze

...very close to the classic I have from a King Biscuit Flour Hour recording, but a little more gravelly....

#78: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:08 am
    ----
The best TV theme music ever recorded...even better than Mancini's work for "Peter Gunn".

Route 66

"Riddle was forever associated with his work for Capitol Records, providing arrangements and musical direction to such vocalists as Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Judy Garland, Peggy Lee and Keely Smith "

But speaking of..."Fallout", the opening motif of all Peter Gunn episodes where the "crime" subsequently investigated was not bad at all!

"Fallout"

#79: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:02 am
    ----
I don't know what this one is about at all, and I'm sure nobody else here does either....

The sidewalk began to perspire!

#80: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:51 am
    ----
The JG300 cultural hour. Karajan in Berlin, the second best version to George Szell's New York Philharmonic interpretation (Szell's strings were second to none, IMO). 'Ze volume....UP!

Karajan-Beethoven #9/2nd mvt. (I spared you "Mathis der Mahler"-Hindemeth was too much to ask, but I started some mornings in university listening to on headphones from library tower on 10th floor with fantastic view).

"Welcome to the Huntley-Brinkley report, brought to you by Texaco"

#81: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:41 am
    ----
There were two great singles in 1976, this is both of them. (One a live recording three years later)

Down To Zero

and hairy guy, just heard this on radio today, so here it is again.

A career is launched....

#82: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:19 am
    ----
Watch it just to see Scarlet Rivera tear that violin UP!

(Pressing the "HQ" button recommended)

We're talkin' focused. Would love to have seen her play with David LaFlamme ("It's a Beautiful Day").

"Bob Dylan is often credited for discovering the violinist. Before the rehearsal for his 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue tour, Scarlet was quite literally picked up off the street and invited to join in the rehearsals only because she carried a violin case on her back. Dylan had previously not had any experiences with her or her musical talent."

This whole special was a fantastic assembly of talent in a tribute to John Sr. (who signed some other guy named "Springsteen" to Columbia Records the year before this was filmed)

#83: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:40 am
    ----
Think "metal" is heavy? You haven't seen power until you've seen....

Maria Pages in Duet

Maria Pages Solo
...at ~1:50 she looses the tension on the spring.

Close up, for all the poise, her chest is pumping like she just sprinted 500 meters. Concealing it is part of the accomplishment.

Must be something about the way the women move around inside those dresses...even slowly.....(some of those hip movements are illegal in all fifty states Wink )

Carlos Saura's adaptation of "Carmen"

Saura's film is a story-within-a-story, from 1984, with Antonio Gades. I highly recommend trying to see it.

"The Rehearsal"

...and I know what you're thinking about Maria Pages...

Forget about it...your heart wouldn't take the strain.

Last edited by JG300-Ascout on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total

#84: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:36 am
    ----
He sure 'nuff didn't invent them, but he had a helluva' lot to do with bringin' them back to life with his rediscovery and re-recording of some of the masters (while they still lived, much as Tom Hoskins had done, finding Mississippi John Hurt living in obscurity and bringing back to life in the early '60's). John Hammond Jr. did some of the same, though it helped that his father had been a major producer for Columbia....it should be noted that Jr. did his early recordings with Verve and not on the Columbia label, establishing his own reputation without "Daddy").
We are, of course, talkin' about the.....Mississippi Blues

...from some years ago.

Plus...

I agree with the poster who didn't care much for the way her voice carries this tune, but she (as one of maybe two women who can sing/play blues worth a damn), but I love the way she plays it.
Somewhere, I have a VHS of her playing "Hellhound On My Trail", but can't seem to find it...which really pisses me off.

Rory Block

#85: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:26 am
    ----
He was eccentric as hell, but changed the instrument and inspired a lot of those who came after him. Saw him a little more than 10 years before his untimely death (auto accident) at Univ. of New Mexico in Albuquerque. The first video was just a month before his death. I guanantee you haven't ever seen anyone with quite his playing style...

Ragamuffin

This is the tune that I most associate with him, and the first thing I heard:
(quality is at the edge, but it's from his beginning days....he did his own unique tunings, which always took some time)

Rickover's Dream

#86: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:22 am
    ----
One of the best and strangest intros for a song ever. Their best work. Sound quality on this version is excellent!

Mystic Eyes-best sound quality

#87: Re: Track of the day.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:54 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
Something a little...."lighter" Wink

"She's Got You" - Great Patsy Cline spoof

I kept waiting for her to pull out a

Skwirrell Mr. Green

#88: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:56 am
    ----
You just wouldn't BELIEVE the list of musicians on the 1973 recording which was a....

....Masterpiece

Washingtone doesn't even get involved until about 4 minutes.

And then there was "Troubleman". Good luck finding these albums today.

#89: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:48 pm
    ----
This just must be in the "Track of the Day"..... Laughing

Hoggify, Baby!

#90: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:30 am
    ----
It doesn't get any better than this for the era.....

And you can never have enough cheezy organ!

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum