Rare Sherman variant?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Rare Sherman variant? Author: horrocks PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:33 am
    ----
I have no doubt that this has appeared here before, but please allow me to indulge..

I ran across this image on another forum, and nobody there seemed to have noticed something odd about this Russian crewed Sherman. Am I way off the mark by asking if this is perhaps the rarest and most effective (Firefly notwithstanding) Sherman variant?

That looks a whole lot like a PAK 75 to me. Any thoughts?

TJ

#2: Re: Rare Sherman variant? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:57 am
    ----
It looks more (to me) like a classical M4A2 Sherman with a 76mm L/54 gun.

P-O

#3: Re: Rare Sherman variant? Author: horrocks PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:45 pm
    ----
In which case I apologise. It was something about the muzzle brake.

Need to swat up on my Shermies!

Thanks Shadock

TJ

#4: Re: Rare Sherman variant? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:32 pm
    ----
Granted, a lot of US Shermans in the ETO didn't have muzzle brakes as the delivery of muzzle brakes lagged behind delivery of the 76mm barrels.

#5: Re: Rare Sherman variant? Author: horrocks PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:31 pm
    ----
No, I am aware that the 76mm appears with and without the muzzle brake. It was something in the shape of the brake in this picture. The US 76mm muzzle brake has two 'ribs' which give it an epiliptical cross-section - it appears 'flattened' when viewed from fore or aft, whereas the German muzzle brakes are perfectly rounded, or circular. This photo gives an illusion that the ribs are not there, and that the brake is consequently rounded in fore/aft cross-section. However, I compared some of The Shadock's photos of the US and German brakes, and it is fair to say that on balance this does more closely resemble the US version.

Shame. It would have made for an interesting discussion.

TJ

#6: Re: Rare Sherman variant? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:41 pm
    ----
Yep, it's a Lend Lease M4A2 Sherman with a 76MM gun. The quality of the photo does play into the final image somewhat but that is a common muzzle brake found on Shermans so equipped.

Here's another picture taken from here: www.axishistory.com/in...hp?id=5275

It pretty much shows the same muzzle brake although it's at a different angle.

HTH

#7: Re: Rare Sherman variant? Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:20 am
    ----
It's late series M4A2(76)W with 76-mm M1A2 gun.

#8: Re: Rare Sherman variant? Author: T26E4 PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:06 pm
    ----
TJ: there does exist pictures of a pair of German captured ex-Canadian Firefly VCs, repainted and made up with German equipment. Curiously, one has its 17pdr QF muzzle brake replaced by modified brake from a Pak 40.

-> AFV News Discussion Board