Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:40 pm
    ----
Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of tanks at Aberdeen? Could I please get a copy? Thanks ahead of time....

#2: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:44 pm
    ----
Well it sort of depends on which 'Mile of tanks' you mean

Back in the '60s I remember it starting with several WWI tanks, going through the ones from the 20s & 30s (Some of which just came out from 'behind the fence' ) and continued up to the latest models.

When I got a chance to visit years later the Mile had been shortened with the construction of a new gate complex and started with an M-5 light tank.

I have a text file list of the 'Mile' from that era I just need to find it. I'm pretty sure I posted it on the previous generation of this discussion group so someone else may have it also.

#3: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:02 pm
    ----
Either would help if you can find them, I have several of pics and I'm trying to decide what I have. I have a NOT complete list. thanks a lot Bob

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:11 pm
    ----
How's this work for ya? Wink

Link to full-size: img.photobucket.com/al.../mot-1.jpg

Neil

#5: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:34 pm
    ----
Thanks guys, I'll work with these....

#6: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:00 am
    ----
That is the 'New Mile' I'll keep looking for mine because mine is a clear text file that may be easier on the eyes

#7: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:05 am
    ----
thank you Bob

#8: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 pm
    ----
I wrote a chapter in my book in about 1984 covering it. I'm currently transferring it online - if you can be patient it should go up in the next week or two. The display park bit is mostly done, this is the format I'm using:

preservedtanks.com/Loc...0&Select=4

It's not yet finished so it's not yet part of the public site.

#9: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:06 am
    ----
for those who might be interested. I created a diagram of the displays around the museum building circa 1977-1981 and listings (including the museum ID numbers) of what vehicles were in the various spots then. If anyone is interested in a copy for their own use , PM me with your email address and I'll send you copies

Piney

#10: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:13 am
    ----
I found the list I made back in April 2001. This list starts at Th emaryland Ave Gate and moves towards the Museum

M5A1 – Hedgerow device
M5A1 – Wading trunk
M6A2 Heavy
M3A1 Medium
M4A4 – Experimental HVSS
M4A1 Calliope
M7 Medium
M36
M18
M18 (105mm)
M22 Locust
Empty
M26
T30
T54 (Oscilating Turret, M48 hull?)
T37 Light Tank
T42 Light Tank Oscillating turret
M47
Empty
Empty
M103
M60
Xm551

GAP

M8 HMC
M7 HMC
4-5 spaces
M42 Duster
M10 GMC
Empty
M41 155mm HMC
M40 155mm GMC
Empty
Empty
M55 8” HMC
M56 Scorpion SPG
M50 Ontos
T249 37mm Vulcan

#11: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:44 am
    ----
Thank you very much....

#12: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:26 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
I wrote a chapter in my book in about 1984 covering it. I'm currently transferring it online - if you can be patient it should go up in the next week or two. The display park bit is mostly done, this is the format I'm using:

preservedtanks.com/Loc...p;Select=4

It's not yet finished so it's not yet part of the public site.

Ok, it's done and online. I've tweaked the website code now so it gives the detailed model rather than just the type (e.g. T97 SP howitzer rather than M53 series, M32A1 TRV rather than M32, etc.). It's a full snapshot of what was at APG in 1984 - 120 vehicles, 400 photo's.

www.preservedtanks.com...;Max=71000

I scanned the text from my original manuscript and included that. I've also added in the lat/longs for the Google maps (didn't have all that back then!).

Armyjunk let me know if it leaves any questions unanswered.

#13: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:16 pm
    ----
Thank you Trevor and the everyone else. What about these two? Are they still at Aberdeen? anyone know or have newer pics? What is behind the halftrack on the right?

#14: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:30 pm
    ----
I am pretty sure (99%+ but would love to be wrong) That neither of those vehicles are still at Aberdeen.

#15: Re: Does anyone have a listing of the tanks on the old mile of t Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:34 pm
    ----
I only record tracked AFVs so I'm afraid I can't help.

-> AFV News Discussion Board