Video card/Memory questions
-> Hardware

#1: Video card/Memory questions Author: {92}WarhawkLocation: In the clouds PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:58 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,

Well, I finally decided to get a new graphics card and add some memory to my computer. I did some research on newegg and found these 2 parts that had good prices and good performance.

www.newegg.com/Product...6814102294
www.newegg.com/Product...6820145479

I was told that the stuff on these two parts were very standard on most computers so I shouldn't have a problem. Is there anything I need to check before buying these such as my memory type and such? If so, how do I find out? I have never really bought computer parts before so I don't really know what I should be looking for. thanks..

#2: Re: Video card/Memory questions Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:43 pm
    ----
Sapphire 9800 Pro... Good card. Very good choice there.

That RAM is fine to. You could also check out Kingston, OCZ, more Corsiar, or GeIL.

Any of those should do good. If you were going to go Corsair, though, I think the one I pointed to would be better. It's got a lower CAS timing, though I don't know them all. Techy lingo, but just go with me here Mr. Green

#3: Re: Video card/Memory questions Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:35 am
    ----
Both choices are great IMO. Corsair is a great choice for memory and that's the lowest price I've seen on quality PC3200 ram in a long time...:D

Not much to say about 9800 Pro other than it's top notch card and they're used by serious gamers everywhere....:wink:

#4: Re: Video card/Memory questions Author: Vlad PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:54 am
    ----
A few things, no one answered. On the video card, I noticed there is a power connector. This may mean the card needs a direct connection to your power supply. Make sure your power supply can handle the requirements of the card and also has the extra connector for the card. The card is also 4x/8x AGP, ensure you have an AGP slot on your motherboard, and that it supports at least one of these speeds.

As for RAM, you need to research the model of your motherboard to make sure your board supports 184-Pin PC-3200 RAM. Buying the wrong type of stick is a surefire way to ruin both the RAM and possibly your motherboard. Also with RAM you should keep like with like. If your system currently has 512 megs you shouold be fine as long as both sticks are PC-3200, if one is 256 PC-3200 it will not hurt, but it will not perform as well as you think. I have had issues where when I ran a 128 meg stick with a 256 meg stick I noticed a significant performace decrease, as opposed to running the 256 meg stick alone.

Otherwise the parts you have selected are decent, it really comes down to a matter of preference and whether you are willing to sacrifice a few seconds or a few volts for value over performance. When it boils down to it, the average user cannot tell the difference in game between a 380 MHz core clock and a 500 MHz.

If this is your first parts upgrade, remember all you are doing is changing parts, nothing more, nothing magical or mysterious about it. You can customize it to your liking and have the screaming system you always wanted at $100's or even $1000's less than what most manufacturers offer. The downside is no tech support comes with it. The upside is, if a component does go bad, you won't drop $1000's for a new machine, only a few hundred for the new part, which usually is better than the one it is replacing.

#5: Re: Video card/Memory questions Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:42 am
    ----
Found this:

ADDITIONAL POWER CONNECTION REQUIREMENTS
www.sapphiretech.com/v...proult.asp

The Radeon 9800 Pro must be connected to the computer? power supply to meet its performance and high-speed memory requirements.
In order to supply the ATI Graphics Accelerator card with the necessary power, we have included the Power Extension Cable.
Use the Power Extension Cable to connect the Radeon 9800Pro to the computer hard drive power connector.

But I wouldnt run it off the same one going to a hard drive, I would run it off the CD power Wire if you cant find one not being used.

#6: Re: Video card/Memory questions Author: JG27_Tanker PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:21 pm
    ----
I unplugged the power from my old ZIP drive and used it to power my 9700 Pro.

#7: Re: Video card/Memory questions Author: JG300-HoppaLocation: vernon BC PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:39 pm
    ----
about the whole power issue,,,,I just said "bah",,,,so bought the best one that was recommended to me as to run all my hardware upgrades and tower mods/(lotsa lights and fans)......went with a 480 antec and am very pleased,,,,is worth the few extra pennies I figure Mr. Green

#8: Re: Video card/Memory questions Author: CrashEd PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:20 pm
    ----
I got a 400 antec and i really like it plenty of power for me. Mr. Green

-> Hardware