M4E9 tracks and driving train??
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M4E9 tracks and driving train?? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:32 pm
    ----
Hello,

I discovered today the curious tracks and duckbills that can ben seen on M4E9 tanks. The duckbills are on both sides of the track :

They are very different to the normal tracks, they seem to me to be narrower than the normal tracks with duckbills on one single side :

Can anyone tell me more about the tracks, sprockets, roadwheels and driving train? It seems that the roadwheels on the M4E9s
are farther to the hull than the roadwheels on the normal M4s.
The sprockets also seem to be narrower (because the track is not as large as on the normal tanks), are they different on M4E9s?

thanks

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: M4E9 tracks and driving train?? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:51 pm
    ----
I thought the track width was the same in both cases (to match the roadwheels), but spacers were fitted on the inside to allow the inner grousers to be fitted.

#3: Re: M4E9 tracks and driving train?? Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:20 am
    ----
As Trevor noted, the "E9" suspension modification kit added 4-1/2 inch spacers between the bogie brackets and the hull; a similar spacer under the idler bracket (which also lowered the wheels position somewhat); and an extension to the sprockect hub to move it out. Except for the EECs, the tracks and running gear were the standard types.

If you look at these tanks you can readily see the spacers. Also, in photos, if you can see several of the bolts holding the final drives in place you are looking at an E9 tank. On standard suspension the bolts are almost completely blocked from view, except from the very front.

See:

www.toadmanstankpictur...105_02.jpg

www.toadmanstankpictur...105_01.jpg

www.toadmanstankpictur...lee_33.jpg

www.toadmanstankpictur...ant_03.jpg

www.toadmanstankpictur...4a1_03.jpg

www.toadmanstankpictur...ino_01.jpg

compared to similar views in the original message.

KL

#4: Re: M4E9 tracks and driving train?? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:09 am
    ----
Drive sprocket on E9:

[img]http://kcamps.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=8205[/img]

Idler mount on E9:

[img]http://kcamps.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=8208[/img]

Spacers for suspension units on E9:

[img]http://kcamps.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=8220[/img]

Ther's nothing different about the track, other than EECs on both sides. The suspension is moved out.

#5: Re: M4E9 tracks and driving train?? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:11 am
    ----
Nice reference pics, guys.

#6: Re: M4E9 tracks and driving train?? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:04 pm
    ----
Nice engineering too. Simple and effective.

-> AFV News Discussion Board