Sherman-based logging vehicle pics
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sherman-based logging vehicle pics Author: gregv PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:10 am
    ----
hi all

pics of a Sherman-based logging vehicle spotted in Powell River BC over the holidays. Looks like it needs a few new tires....

Are these types of conversions all that rare? I've seen another recently as well, with the later suspension on it. Were these all custom builds, or were there actually companies that specialized in doing these after WWII?

cheers

greg v.

#2: Re: Sherman-based logging vehicle pics Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:47 am
    ----
Keep posting those pictures Greg. There hasn't been much discussion on the subjects you raise. Hanno Spoelstra is our Sherman -lovers webmaster. He can post your pictures and comments for the future and there might be someone who knows.

#3: Re: Sherman-based logging vehicle pics Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:57 am
    ----
On the show Axe-Men on the History or Discovery Channel (Can't remember which) one of the outfits has one of those converted M4's used as a "Yarder".

Joe D

#4: Re: Sherman-based logging vehicle pics Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:17 am
    ----
There used to be a company in Georgia that refurbished military vehicles into civilian applications, such as oil field support vehicles. Many such vehicles are tracked.

Being from Louisiana, I've seen several converted amtraks, but no sherman based vehicles. The Swamps LOVE heavy tank chassis, it tends to swallow them whole. Shocked

Regards
Don

#5: Re: Sherman-based logging vehicle pics Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:26 pm
    ----
They must be finished. Looks like all the trees are gone Confused

#6: Re: Sherman-based logging vehicle pics Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:10 am
    ----
Dontos is referring to Southeastern Equipment Company (SECO), the same company that imported the Sextons and Grizzly's from Portugal. A lot of their conversions were on the Utility versions of various models. So a High Speed Tractor less its plates became a 'Woods Tiger'. An M114 became a 'Woods Kitten' etc. They got their name in the news when the El Salvadoreans reversed the demilitarization and made up some APCs from forestry tractors!

www.secoaugusta.com/

#7: Re: Sherman-based logging vehicle pics Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:58 am
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
Dontos is referring to Southeastern Equipment Company (SECO), the same company that imported the Sextons and Grizzly's from Portugal. A lot of their conversions were on the Utility versions of various models. So a High Speed Tractor less its plates became a 'Woods Tiger'. An M114 became a 'Woods Kitten' etc. They got their name in the news when the El Salvadoreans reversed the demilitarization and made up some APCs from forestry tractors!

www.secoaugusta.com/

WOW, I wasn't aware of that,....!

I wonder if SECO did the demil work on the Ontos which were used by the Forestry Service back in the 70s. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any records of that.

Don

#8: Re: Sherman-based logging vehicle pics Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:48 am
    ----
sorry, wrong post

#9: Re: Sherman-based logging vehicle pics Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:31 pm
    ----
Don:

Just doing my job spreading the knowledge around.

SECO used to have a junk pile of everything green, tracked and armoured in the back yard. I used to go look at their website to see the stock. In an earlier age, they had a set of printed glossy pamphlets. They probably got their start with half-track conversions, then got into a groove with tracked forestry tractors, such as the WWII high speed artillery tractors and APC conversions.

It looks like they have sold off, cleaned up or changed business practises to get out of that line and more into reselling M-series truck parts.

#10: Re: Sherman-based logging vehicle pics Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:40 pm
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
Don:

Just doing my job spreading the knowledge around.

SECO used to have a junk pile of everything green, tracked and armoured in the back yard. I used to go look at their website to see the stock. In an earlier age, they had a set of printed glossy pamphlets. They probably got their start with half-track conversions, then got into a groove with tracked forestry tractors, such as the WWII high speed artillery tractors and APC conversions.

It looks like they have sold off, cleaned up or changed business practises to get out of that line and more into reselling M-series truck parts.

I had heard some 'deals' from 'days gone by'. Involving 'trades' of a certain vehicle for an M5 Stuart. My contact with them indeed indicated 'new management' and personnel. To include little or no knowledge of past dealings.

I too check out their site, from time to time. Just to see if there is any cool stuff on the market.

Thanks for the info
Don

#11: Re: Sherman-based logging vehicle pics Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:49 am
    ----
The Lingle changes its spots.

www.jedsite.info/fullt...1/es1.html

-> AFV News Discussion Board