Camera Pole
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Camera Pole Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:48 am
    ----
Prices are going up, since stocks are low after what happened in Japan.
I just checked Amazon UK and it's 700 GBP with the 18-55 kit lens.

In terms of image quality, EOS 550 would be the same, they mount the same sensor. But only 600D has the tilt screen

Massimo

#17: Re: Camera Pole Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:29 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

In terms of image quality, EOS 550 would be the same, they mount the same sensor. But only 600D has the tilt screen

Massimo

Exactly my thinking.

I'm not confident the supplier on the Amazon.co.uk site will get it to me in time for my trip to Overloon so I'm currently looking to pay a little extra and get it from a local camera shop.

#18: Re: Camera Pole Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:44 am
    ----
Now that you mention it, I see it's not sold directly by Amazon UK. That's strange, usually it's not the case for this kind of popular products. Maybe supplies are really low...

So you are going with the 600D for the sake of the tilt screen?

Some suggestions to help you get started:

- Set the camera in "P" mode, not in full auto. It's better if you control ISO and flash, not the camera

- Use ISO 800 or 1600 if you are indoor. Much less outdoor (200 usually fits, 400 if overcast)

- Shooting in RAW requires more disk space and post-processing. But gives you better results and more chances to improve quality and fix problems in post-production. I would buy some extra memory cards and start shooting RAW+JPEG. This way you get a .jpg directly out of the camera, but also a .raw to post-process later on

Massimo

#19: Re: Camera Pole Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:56 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

So you are going with the 600D for the sake of the tilt screen?

Exactly, along with the Quik Pro 'camera pole'. I'll also try to get a remote shutter release.

Thanks for the shooting advice - I'll try it out.

#20: Re: Camera Pole Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:18 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
I'll also try to get a remote shutter release.

Avoid the infra-red remotes. The camera's infra-red sensor must be in your line of sight for them to work. Radio remotes are more flexible.

I am going to put my Canon G12 on a monopod and use it as a "pole". I don't feel like risking an heavy and expensive DSLR + lens combination, not yet at least. Unfortunately the G12 doesn't support radio remote, so a cable shutter is going to be my only option.

Looking forward to hear your feedback on the new camera. Maybe you could post it on the dedicated photography thread. Keep in mind those DSLRs are pretty sophisticated, if you want to get the best out of them you have to invest time learning/experimenting.

Massimo

#21: Re: Camera Pole Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:30 pm
    ----
Today I finished assembling my camera pole kit. I assembled the following pieces:

- Monopod:
www.manfrotto.com/prod...on_Monopod

- Small ballhead:
www.manfrotto.com/prod...d_with_RC2

- Canon G12:
www.usa.canon.com/cusa...ershot_g12

- Canon RS-60 remote switch:
www.amazon.com/Canon-R...B00004WCID

Hope to try it out soon.

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board