Stupid Question...
-> FSX

#1: Stupid Question... Author: Rixster PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:03 am
    ----
I'm trying to get a handle on FSX and need some help, is it the SP2, or Acceleration that causes the prop issues? does the SP2 contain Acceleration or are they separate?

I had previously installed acceleration but hated what it did to my add-on aircraft so I tried to uninstall it, unsuccessfully I might add, I messed something up...so I've completely reinstalled FSX and I'm determined to get the best out of it...right now I'm getting on average 30fps with just SP1 installed, and about medium settings..pretty decent..I've heard though that SP2 can greatly improve performance and I want to install it but not if it comes with Acceleration included...

any guidance would be appreciated...

#2: Re: Stupid Question... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:46 pm
    ----
FSX Acceleration comes with, or updates FSX after installing to SP2. SP2 can also be downloaded and installed seperately from the Microsoft website but does not include Acceleration. I have tried SP2 and it does odd things to certain addons, invisible body parts on the Douglas A26, Solid Rotor blade shadows with helicopters etc.

For the time being I'm sticking with SP1. Also didn't notice much of an improvement on frame rates with SP2. At least not enough to justify the above mentioned probs IMOA.

#3: Re: Stupid Question... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:12 am
    ----
^^ What he said ^^

"Accelleration" gives you SP2 plus a bunch of neat bells and whistles (Air Racing, new helos with hoist cables you can control, new missions to make use of said hoist cables and tethered loads, an F/A-18 with working arresting gear and carriers with working catapult launches).

For those who didn't want all those new toys, SP2 was made available as a free, separate download by itself.

And yup, the performance gains come from new streamlined processing of certain textures, the cost of which is loss of support for "legacy" display methods that didn't conform 100% to the documented way of doing things in the FS9 SDK (Software Developer's Kit).

Or... ^^ what fr8ycat said ^^ .....

#4: Re: Stupid Question... Author: Rixster PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:38 am
    ----
ok..I get it now..with 30FPS average I think I'm just going to stick to SP1 for now and tweak it some more..thanks for the help...

#5: Re: Stupid Question... Author: berlopezLocation: Copenhagen.DK PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:23 pm
    ----
I just installed accel. In my sys. Although I'm well below the 2.2 GHz requirement. The first day it went incredible fine. Then?... Last Tuesday it began to load slow. For some reason or other..I haven't figured that out yet... I installed local scenery and is having an effect on it all or what? ( loading times I mean)...When the loading bar get to Loading -autogenerated scenery ( At 70%) it beggins to run slow and can take up to ten minutes to finish up loading Yawn! This didn't happen the first week I had it.

I wonder what happened?

-> FSX