Remember? Marx 88 and M47 Patton tank
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Remember? Marx 88 and M47 Patton tank Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:41 am
    ----
Do you specifically remember this?
I am sure I am not the only one who would have played with these types of playsets as a kid... just recalling the past. I dont think I am that old, but man, I was 5 when I got one of the Battleground playsets...
This playset was more than just "army men", cause it had it "all". Even as kids we knew this was the "88". It had real enemy--Germans! not just some crappy army men to be used as enemy. My first armor toys, halftrack and tank (which is based on the M47, though some say the M46).

Other toys that Marx made was the Blue and the Gray civil war set, the Alamo!, Fort Apache, much later the Guns of Navarone...

SR

#2: Re: Remember? Marx 88 and M47 Patton tank Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:23 am
    ----
My brother got that set right after we moved back to the states in '73.

Those Marx sets were cool. The soldiers actually were detailed and had "Real" Germans. Last time I was at my folks house what was left of it was in the attic. IIRC it even had an LST. I had the Fort Apache set much earlier. Had those interlocking Fort walls and wild looking Indians. Although the Britain's sets were much better detailed. Had the Civil war figures along with the 12 Pdr cannon which fired spring loaded lead rounds.

Joe D

#3: Re: Remember? Marx 88 and M47 Patton tank Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:22 am
    ----
take a look here,

www.toysoldierco.com/M...e=Playsets

That's just the WWII page, they have variations on all the old sets and eras
but be warned I take no resposibility for the resulting damage to your bank account Laughing

Piney

#4: Re: Remember? Marx 88 and M47 Patton tank Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:08 pm
    ----
I only had the ANZIO and the RAT PATROL sets from AURORA when I was younger. They ended more like full time dios than a play set.

Those were the days. Razz

#5: Re: Remember? Marx 88 and M47 Patton tank Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:43 pm
    ----
MPC ringhand/slothand kid myself. Bigger scale, generally, and interchangeable weapons. Replacing the old stuff I threw away was, indeed, not cheap. Wink

Here's a sample: (the Weasel is quite out of scale to the prototype T-92, but these are toys, not models).

#6: Re: Remember? Marx 88 and M47 Patton tank Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:16 pm
    ----
Yeah, I remember MPC stuff. If I recall, that track could be "amphibious", most of the plastics tanks floated when you put them in water. Ironically the landing crafts never floated like they should have.
Timmie toys made an M48 and some type of wheeled apc with turret... the M48's always became "german" like in the movies...
Marx made a Panther tank...

Britains made great stuff. No tanks but they had jeeps and the, what is that, the Diamler scout car?? They had the AT guns and mortars that could shoot shells (that usually ended up in the vacuum!!).
And Solido tanks! Remember them? My father had brought back quite a few from R&R in Hong Kong. The tracks were metal and moveable! Talk about a kiddie war, tanks that would clank across the battlefield! (I got a Solido Panther and several Britains German inf sets for Xmas, great! Theirs was an Ausf. G, based on the one found at Bovington).
SR

#7: Re: Remember? Marx 88 and M47 Patton tank Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:44 pm
    ----

#8: Re: Remember? Marx 88 and M47 Patton tank Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:55 pm
    ----
I had that Marx battlefield set as a kid. I remember it coming with little brown land mines (just plastic), and I thought the travel lock position for the turret was used when prepping for ramming other tanks.

#9: Re: Remember? Marx 88 and M47 Patton tank Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:40 pm
    ----
Damn, you guys were sooo lucky. I had the 'war chest' of green army men.

Being an 'Army Brat' I know I left 'rear detatchment personnel' in Munich & Kaiserslautern (FRG), Ft Sill (OK), Stewart AFB (NY), El Paso(Tx), and Lake Worth(Fl).

I traded in the plastic green Army men for 1/72 scale models and began 'real' dioramma construction in Germany at age 13.

Regards
Don

#10: Re: Remember? Marx 88 and M47 Patton tank Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:07 pm
    ----
Some nice memories. I always had Army men of various brands while growing up. In fact I think the interest in the army toys led to my interest in researching the real thing. There is a "cult" of us out there who still collect old toy soldiers.

I was mostly into the ringhand MPC figures - soldiers, cowboys, spacemen and ACW. There was quite a line of sets, accessories, etc. Interestingly, Hobby Bunker in Massachusetts has some of the MPC molds and has reproduced the scarce MPC DUKW among others (I'm still seeking some of the original accessories to enhance the appearance of my repro- silver colored MGs, top, winch, etc).

I remember in about 1960 when I saw my first Marx figures and accessories - WOW what an improvement over the old Timmee, Peyton, etc. For their time the Marx figures were nicely sculpted. The box for the Batleground Playset is one of the classics - when you had green soldiers fighting tan soldiers. Later the set was released with Germans to fight. Extra figures came out later with Japanese and Russians.

Ah, the joys of never having really "grown up"!

Gary

-> AFV News Discussion Board