Royal Horse Artillery Captured German 9cm C/73
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Royal Horse Artillery Captured German 9cm C/73 Author: lovett155Location: Falls Church/Washington DC PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:34 pm
    ----
Over the last few weeks I have disassembled, sand blasted and Osphoed (chemical coating to neutralize rust) my German 9cm C/1873 Kanone. Sheet metal parts with rust-through were also replaced. The breech is a replacement made from an original as a pattern. The wheels are the wartime 7,7cm lFK 96 n/A type. The piece is now reassembled and largely restored. It is capable of live fire but since the paint is hardly dry I have not gotten to this stage yet.

While sand blasting the tube I noticed an interesting mark. Written on the barrel is “T Battery RHA”. This appears to have been scraped onto the barrel through the original paint. Presumably, this exposed area then rusted. The result is a bit of graffiti from the British capturing unit that has stayed intact. T Battery Royal Horse Artillery was a part of XIV Brigade in the Middle East. It seems unlikely that a third echelon reserve gun of this type would have been sent with German Artillery for their own service so more likley this 9cm C/73 was a Prussian/German gun later sent to the Ottoman Field Artillery. Many of this type weapon were in Ottoman service but they often have the Sultan’s crest etched into the barrel. This one has the King William I of Prussia scroll and the Prussian Eagle so perhaps it was sent during the wartime period and never altered with the new owner’s crest, as would have been the practice pre-war.

I am now looking for references to T Battery Royal Horse Artillery, XIV Brigade and any mention of captured artillery in their WW1 history and the Ottoman (or even German) units that may have lost it to them.

I have attached photos of the restoration plus a good one of the “T Battery RHA” graffiti.

Ralph Lovett
lovettartillery.com/9c...anone.html

#2: Re: Royal Horse Artillery Captured German 9cm C/73 Author: lovett155Location: Falls Church/Washington DC PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:37 pm
    ----
More photos

#3: Re: Royal Horse Artillery Captured German 9cm C/73 Author: lovett155Location: Falls Church/Washington DC PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:17 am
    ----
more photos

#4: Re: Royal Horse Artillery Captured German 9cm C/73 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:30 am
    ----
Very nice,

The "Graffiti" gives it a very nice side story.

Joe D

#5: Re: Royal Horse Artillery Captured German 9cm C/73 Author: lovett155Location: Falls Church/Washington DC PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:05 pm
    ----
I have found a bit of information that changes my earlier assumptions about T Battery RHA, 14th Brigade service locations in the Middle East.

I have found details of five T Battery Royal Horse Artillery dead. All are on the Western Front with a range of dates from 1916-1918:

Miller, Herbert Brown. Gunner. T Battery RHA.14th Brigade. Died 16 APR 1917. Buried Point-du-Jour Military Cemetery France.

Brown, Alec Charles. Driver. T Battery RHA. 14th Brigade. Died in action 22 AUG 1918. France & Flanders. Buried in Besles New Military Cemetery, Calais.
Stammers, Robert. Driver. T Battery 14th Brigade RHA. Died 27 DEC 1916. Buried at Mont Houn Militiary Cemetey, Le Treport.

Knox, Charles. Gunner. T Battery RHA & RFA. 14th Brigade. Died in the Somme. 16 SEP 1916. Buried in Longueval, France.

Reynard, Ernest. T Battery RHA. 14th Brigade. Died 31 AUG 1916. Buried at Dantzig British Cemetery.

It appears that T Battery RHA, 14th Brigade started the war in August

1914 in Egypt and was later transferred to the Western Front.

There it saw service with 7th Division. It was involved in engagements

at Neuve Chappelle, Loos, Guillemont, Bullecourt and many others.

I am still looking for more information.

Ralph Lovett

-> Artillery Forum