Gun in Oak Grove LA
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Gun in Oak Grove LA Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:28 am
    ----
Located at VFW Post 3977,

Front Left
Right Rear
Recoil Data Plate

Couple of questions,

By any chance is this the same type of gun used on the M4 Series Tanks?

And, Why would the US Army still be purchasing/ producing 76mm AT guns in the 50's? I would think they'd be kinda obsolete by then.

Joe D

#2: Re: Gun in Oak Grove LA Author: lovett155Location: Falls Church/Washington DC PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:00 pm
    ----
Joe,

This is a US T124 76mm Anti-Tank Gun. It is the same main gun from the M-41 Walker Bulldog. These were for airborne service in the Korean War era. They use the jeep as a prime mover and the barrel swivels around and can be locked into the trail. This reduces the length by half.

I have had a number of these over the years and still have one, which I have restored and have BATF Registered. This is the Link:

www.lovettartillery.co...T_Gun.html

I believe these were in service with US Airborne Divisions in Korea with only about 100 produced. I also believe I have seen photos of these in the Inchon Landing. I am looking for more information on the 76mm T124 in service.

Ralph Lovett
www.lovettartillery.com/

Last edited by lovett155 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Gun in Oak Grove LA Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:50 pm
    ----
That's different,

You'd figure with less than 100 made very few would be around. I guess they didn't stay around long with the advent of AT missiles. You would think a country that was using the M41 wouldn't mind having these for their light units, sharing the ammo and all. Thought it looked kinda long for a Sherman 76mm, never occurred to me it was from an M41

#4: Re: Gun in Oak Grove LA Author: lovett155Location: Falls Church/Washington DC PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:38 am
    ----
Joe

I have seen a large number of these still around. Many in the South-East USA. I think, for some reason, that very few were scraped. All must be still around. Most are in fact in very very good condition but the optical scopes all seem to be missing. They also have a different firing linkage than the ones onboard the M41. It looks to me like these were modified from M41 guns not purpose built from the start for this towed mount. There are obviously hand welded modifications to all the carriages.

The serial numbers I am most familiar with are No. 7, No. 24, No. 86. All under one hundred. Also, an old friend, now deceased, that was a US Army Infantry Captain in Korea during the War told me he saw these in service in-country.

Ralph

-> Artillery Forum