Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:39 pm
    ----
I'm gradually updating current static displays around Post.

Here is one of the most recent changes.

Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox

Enjoy
Don

#2: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:46 pm
    ----
What's the latest rumor on the big move?

#3: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:56 pm
    ----
Move?? What Move....?? Cool

Don

#4: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:25 am
    ----
Here's a few interesting Items I learned today (Thursday 19 Feb)

A little quiz. Answer to be posted tomorrow, or sooner if anyone guesses this question...

And here is a little tidbit from 'exploring'

A little interesting side note, the odometer reads 244 miles.

More stuff to post later
Don

Last edited by Dontos on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:28 am
    ----
- Dontos
Here's a few interesting Items I learned today (Thursday 19 Feb)

More stuff to post later
Don

I had a set of buckhorn handlebars just like that on my first Harley (well, except for the white paint).

#6: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:32 am
    ----
Here is a composite of photos on the T95E13 that I was able to take today.

Don

#7: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:35 am
    ----
And a few more....from Keyes Park

Don

#8: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:32 pm
    ----
That seat belt rig looks like the same set up we had for the driver in the M551, but that doesn't look like one.

#9: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:59 pm
    ----
Here the vehicle, I discovered the TC & Gunner seats with the 5 point harness.......

The XM800-W ASRV

Don

#10: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:46 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
That seat belt rig looks like the same set up we had for the driver in the M551, but that doesn't look like one.

That must have been a later development, I don't recall ever seeing any restraints in an M551.

#11: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:05 pm
    ----
Seatbelts in XM800T?

#12: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:40 pm
    ----
Seatbelts were in the XM800-W that is in the LST building. I haven't seen the interior of te XM800-T, but I'm willing to bet it too has belts.

Maybe some day I can get into the XM800-T.

Regards
Don

#13: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:11 pm
    ----
Hey Don,

#5-22, M60A1 w/ Blazer, isn't there now - that pad is empty. Was this tank sand color with USMC markings? There is one sitting now at the south end of St. John MP, near Bldg. 2955. It has "Buster" on the bore evacuator. Don't know what it's doing there - I never saw a museum or display tank parked there before.

Geoff

#14: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:24 pm
    ----
- Geoff_walden
Hey Don,

#5-22, M60A1 w/ Blazer, isn't there now - that pad is empty. Was this tank sand color with USMC markings? There is one sitting now at the south end of St. John MP, near Bldg. 2955. It has "Buster" on the bore evacuator. Don't know what it's doing there - I never saw a museum or display tank parked there before.

Geoff

Buster is the USMC's Tank w the blazer Armor. It is technically the only static on Ft Knox that is not in the Museums collection.

As for its status, I'll check up on it. Perhaps its due for a new coat of paint, as there are many that are due,that I am aware of. I do know that there will be some future movement due to painting, but I assume they will be returned to there prior location.

Geez, just when I thought I was getting a handle on what is where,...... This is truely a work in progress.

Thanks for the heads up!
Don

#15: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:18 pm
    ----
Ascout-If I remember right the seatbelts in the M551 were a modification. Item #3 below mounted to the hull ceiling behind the driver.

-> AFV News Discussion Board