Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:50 am
    ----
That's them,

Although we never used them, even though the driver's hatch was big enough to fly out of if you hit something hard enough or flipped.

#17: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:24 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Ascout-If I remember right the seatbelts in the M551 were a modification. Item #3 below mounted to the hull ceiling behind the driver.

That thar' beats all I ever see'd. Didn't have nary a one.

Looks a little like the lap/shoulder belts in a Shelby (the '60's ones).

#18: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:03 am
    ----
Some Additions:

Don

#19: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:45 am
    ----

Don't think that they all stayed in those OPFOR M551's Wink

Used M113 troop seat belts in one of my MG's too a while back. Much better than the stock ones and easier to release.

It's amazing what you find in the scrap metal bin.

Don,

That's the Sadowski Field house tank, glad to see at least some haven't moved

#20: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:31 am
    ----
- Geoff_walden
Hey Don,

#5-22, M60A1 w/ Blazer, isn't there now - that pad is empty. Was this tank sand color with USMC markings? There is one sitting now at the south end of St. John MP, near Bldg. 2955. It has "Buster" on the bore evacuator. Don't know what it's doing there - I never saw a museum or display tank parked there before.

Geoff

Geoff

'Buster' has been moved for cosmetic restoration, as ordered by the USMC detatchment. I was given a really neat history on that tank, today.

It is a USMC ODS veteran. It arrived in Theater as a regular 'woodland pattern' camo paint job. It was painted sand in Saudi. It was then upgraded with reactive armor in theater. The name 'Buster' was chosen because the Unit Cmdr's nickname (and the TC) was 'Buster'.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the unit or the Officers name, but I'll try to get the whole story and pass it on.

Regards
Don

#21: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:46 am
    ----
- Joe_D

Don't think that they all stayed in those OPFOR M551's Wink

Used M113 troop seat belts in one of my MG's too a while back. Much better than the stock ones and easier to release.

It's amazing what you find in the scrap metal bin.

Don,

That's the Sadowski Field house tank, glad to see at least some haven't moved

Joe,
If you pay the shipping, and will use them in some project car, it's yours if interested.

#22: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:56 am
    ----
I gotta '72 Capri Mk I that might could use those,

I like the vintage mod look for these old cars. Kinda like what some GI would've done in Germany. Got some old "Green" Armed Forces West Germany tags I plan on using too, But that project is a little down the road right now ('74 Midget is ahead of it). I'll PM you.

#23: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:24 am
    ----
I love it when an old dog finds a good home. Wink

You'll need some big eyebolts. The webbing is 3 inches wide...that oughta' keep your hiney in "the chair" if you put 'er through a hedge.

#24: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:05 am
    ----
- Joe_D

I like the vintage mod look for these old cars. Kinda like what some GI would've done in Germany. Got some old "Green" Armed Forces West Germany tags I plan on using too, But that project is a little down the road right now ('74 Midget is ahead of it). I'll PM you.

I got some old USAREUR plates I had in the 70's,.....

Mr. Green
Don

#25: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:24 am
    ----
put 'er through a hedge.

Oh No, never done that (as a driver), but things can happen. And yes, my butt needs to stay planted. Owe my life to good seat belts, not fun when a '74 Toyota Carina rolls a-- over nose in a very large "Binjo" ditch Shocked .

1/4" steel plate drilled and bent to 90 degrees and bolted to the pans work good too.

Hey Don,

When Buster showed up on Knox she was woodland camo during the dedication ceremony. They had her at Harmon Hall before she was placed near the old detachment near/behind Gaffey Hall. I was at Knox at the time and worked with a couple of Marine Armor Majors, Gaskill and Kuckuck, at Skidgel Hall.

#26: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:53 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

Don

#27: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:51 pm
    ----
Yep,

That's them, down to the diamond between the letters and numbers. Think I got a set with silver letters too. Late 60's versions. Supposed to be packed away but haven't been able to locate in a while.

#28: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:06 am
    ----
BTW, I ran into retired MG Harmeyer (who is heading up the new museum effort at Benning) last week at the AUSA Winter show.... I mentioned to him that they will have a lot of work to do to build the same kind of volunteer organization at Benning that exists at Knox...

Neil

#29: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:12 am
    ----
Don,
I'm going through the Knox listings on the register.

First question of probably many - is there still an M1 Abrams (SN D1301) at what used to be 16th Cavalry HQ (I think it has since moved).

Neil

#30: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Don,
I'm going through the Knox listings on the register.

First question of probably many - is there still an M1 Abrams (SN D1301) at what used to be 16th Cavalry HQ (I think it has since moved).

Neil

Its at Richardson. all statics are gone from aroud that building and are in Richardson

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board