Men against Tanks
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Men against Tanks Author: blair PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:35 pm
    ----
Men Against Tanks
John Weeks
first published 1975

I came across this book at the library the other day and for a layperson such as myself it was an interesting read. A lot of technical data and developmental history. The W1 stuff was fascinating.

The one thing that I found odd was in the chapter dealing with recoilless rifles it mentioned the "Ontos"

" In the 1950s the Us Marine Corps went so far as to fit 6 106s on to the turret of their then current light tank to give it increased firepower foe little increase in weight and they named the monster Ontos. Its only use in anger was in the Dominican Republic in 1964 when it was used for blowing down houses concealing snipers."

How could the author have skipped the Vietnam war deployment?

#2: Re: Men against Tanks Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:53 pm
    ----
I too have this book, as part of my references. I think I've had it since the mid-70's.

It goes without saying that not mentioning the RSVN involvement is flawed. The really strange fact is that the USMC used the Ontos in the Dominican Republic in 1965.

I guess its all because I hadn't started my work, or at least been able to nag everyone of the Ontos and its history.

Just trying to set the record straight.

Thanks to 'Al Gore' ( Shocked ) and the Internet, I have a forum to prevent such glaring literary mistakes.

Regards
Don

#3: Re: Men against Tanks Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:47 am
    ----
Sometimes a book gets the "All inclusive" treatment, so unfortunately a ghost writer might add the final chapters with fluff to potentially get more readers. When this happens it casts a shadow of doubt on the entire work which might be completely accurate for the time frame the author originally covered.

-> AFV News Discussion Board