ID Quiz Anyone?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:01 am
    ----
This is may be fairly easy, but goes along with another thread.

Can you name the numbered vehicles??

Have fun
Don

#2: Re: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:05 pm
    ----
4) A StuG
6) M48A5
7) M103
8 ) Leopard 1

#3: Re: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:12 pm
    ----
Tank in the door (6) looks like an M48A2C Wink

Seven is an M60

Two looks like a BTR60, Five looks like an M46

#4: Re: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:17 pm
    ----
I'll defer to Joe on #7 the underside of the turret just didn't look right for an M60. But if he says it's a '60. Rolling Eyes And the one in the door didn't appear to have a cupola which almost every M48 and M60 has.

#5: Re: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:45 pm
    ----
one in the door didn't appear to have a cupola

Didn't consider M48A5, I was being cheeky since I knew they had an M48A2C runner stored. I went by the fenders and standard rear grills. Upon a closer look, I think can see the mount for an M60 MG on the loader's position, that and a lack of large cupola and you are IMO correct sir.

The other is a straight M60 hull. Front fender guard and sponson box is a give away, Bustle rack makes it a slick unless this is an old picture and it's the M48A5E1. I really can't see if there's a cupola.

#6: Re: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:10 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
one in the door didn't appear to have a cupola

Didn't consider M48A5, I was being cheeky since I knew they had an M48A2C runner stored. I went by the fenders and standard rear grills. Upon a closer look, I think can see the mount for an M60 MG on the loader's position, that and a lack of large cupola and you are IMO correct sir.

The other is a straight M60 hull. Front fender guard and sponson box is a give away, Bustle rack makes it a slick unless this is an old picture and it's the M48A5E1. I really can't see if there's a cupola.

That 'M48A5E1' still has me puzzled on how someone came up with that designation

I can't see enough of #5 to even make a guess

#7: Re: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:12 pm
    ----
I agree,

I would've imagined it would have been M60 sumthin'. I think the logic was the capabilities. M60 series had night sights for both the TC and Gunner. None of the M48 series had this, the TC having to use hand held devices exposing himself. But if that was the case, why was the proposed M60 turret on the M48A3 hull (M48A3E3) eventually called M48A4 ?

#8: Re: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:21 pm
    ----
Okay, I seem to have gotten away with it:

1) SP Luchs
2) TAB 72
3) YW 531
4) StuG III ausf G
5) Centurion
6) M48A5
7) M48A5E1
Cool Leo 1 (prototype)

This was taken in a former storage building in "Triangle Motor Pool' in Nov 2002 when 'we' were doing a vehicle move.

Regards
Don

#9: Re: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:24 pm
    ----
Sneaky Devil

#10: Re: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:39 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
the TC having to use hand held devices exposing himself.

And you wonder why people think Tankers are crude Razz

#11: Re: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:26 am
    ----
Death before dismount.

#12: Re: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: 3R22RLocation: Ste-Agathe des Monts QC PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:56 pm
    ----
Maybe O/T but after living at the back of a M-113 I am wondering how
tank crews live day to day in the field in even much smaller room in those things, having being an infantryman myself at least I could got out once in a while. reading suggestions anyone?

#13: Re: ID Quiz Anyone? Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:02 pm
    ----
Tank Life
After spending time in the sandbox on the Leo's in and out and on the back deck at -40 over the years , you get the hang of it being mashed together and working with what ya got, and hope your dosen't stick you with the chili MRE.................poor gunner.....:)

-> AFV News Discussion Board