For all the M60A1 Fans
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: For all the M60A1 Fans Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:09 pm
    ----
Doug,

With the M60 sprocket carrier there was a grove/guide in the center to keep the track from pulling to the outside. It helped reduce wear on the track end plates and also helped prevent cupping of the inner sprocket teeth. The "Fish Hook" effect was more of a detriment to the sprocket and rotating them extended their life, but what a PIA it was.

On the M1 they dispensed with this grove/guide on the carrier. This created the cupping effect on the inner sprocket. Without the guide the track tends to pull to the outside, causing it to ride partially on the inner sprocket. When the cupping gets bad it cuts on half the end connectors (The metal is softer than the sprocket) surface, wearing them out real quick. If you don't catch it it'll ruin a new set of track end connectors. That's why it was good practice to replace sprockets whenever you got new track, sorta like a pseudo match set. They are relatively cheap too and much easier to change compared to the M60. I had tank where the track end connectors were damaged pretty bad and the crew wanted new track, which didn't happen. The BMO said replace all the end connectors in stead, since track was expensive. As the PSG I recommended the 180 solution and new sprockets, since the connectors were only wore on one side and the inside. Had to show them it was in the -10 before they went for it. Saved a lot of work and money in the long run.

#32: Re: For all the M60A1 Fans Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:02 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Doug,

With the M60 sprocket carrier there was a grove/guide in the center to keep the track from pulling to the outside. It helped reduce wear on the track end plates and also helped prevent cupping of the inner sprocket teeth. The "Fish Hook" effect was more of a detriment to the sprocket and rotating them extended their life, but what a PIA it was.

Joe,
That sounds about right. Helped immensely to use a fork lift during this procedure. Wink

D.

#33: Re: For all the M60A1 Fans Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:13 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Joe_D
Doug,

Joe,
That sounds about right. Helped immensely to use a fork lift during this procedure. Wink

D.
And an M88, and the associated hydraulic power tools, and several other crews...

I always wondered what it would be like to change track in a paved/concrete motor pool. Ours never were.

C

#34: Re: For all the M60A1 Fans Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:02 pm
    ----
Fork Lift

Only at Knox. When I there was with 1/16 CAV "Rent-a-Tank" we could sometimes get access to a small one to help pallet and lay out track. Helped a lot when doing more than one tank.

Sprocket change meant four guys lifting and one pushing it on. M1 wasn't hard, actually pretty easy. M60 was a real PIA because of the mounting studs made it harder to break loose from the final drive.

South Korea was where changing track in dirt prevailed, since we almost always got new track delivered at Rodriguez Range. At least in the dirt it slid easier in place and you didn't have to clean up as much. Just hope it didn't rain Mad . Gotta have that concrete spotless by Friday or the CSM will have your A-- Rolling Eyes

#35: Re: For all the M60A1 Fans Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:20 pm
    ----
Chuck (welcome back!) and Joe,

Before I have to break out a violin and clip of "The Four Yorkshiremen", I hasten to add that not all repairs were conducted upon concrete pads with the aid of a well-equipped tool shop, sometimes a bulldozer and our "secret weapon"*.
Many a road wheel, track and other bits have been fondled in the mud of CTA, and that other place where mean people dwelled with big, nasty teeth, and AK-47's, and mines. Razz

*("Secret weapon", eyes only, burn monitor after reading. Armor Board mechnics had assembled their own version of Johnny Cash's "' 56,'57,'58....Cadillac". A buffed up M151 with a "Tommy-Lift" gate where the back was supposed to be. Built entirely of acquired, junked, and fabricated parts, very handy around the motor pool. I.G. does regular inspection, finds out-of-spec OD jeep with no reg. numbers, no S/N's, no stars, no bugger all 'cept "U.S. Army" on the hood and our peculiar version of "bumper numbers".

-"Not on the books, can't be allowed, make it disappear".

-"But, but, but...it was free, and is so useful!"

-"Well, OK, but as it existith not and was not made by the hand of the Almighty, it shalt not be the exalted green color of the anointed. Thou shalt make it's countenance yellow with black, diagnonal "hazard stripes", and it will venture forth not among the world...nor even post, but shalt be consigned for a number of years to the confines of the Valley of the Armor Board, and leaveth not Heard Motor Park."

So it was written, and so it came to pass.)

-> AFV News Discussion Board