M48 CEV prototype 1978
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:19 pm
    ----
found one of the earliest pics the family has of this M48 CEV prototype, upper left pic 1978 (1978-2006)

#2: Re: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:38 pm
    ----
Shawn

I believe that is one of the T95 'spin off' D.I.T. (Driver in Turret) Prototypes.

You can see where the 20mm mounted on the side of the turret.

I have several photos of the vehicle during test & evaluation, but can't seem to access them right now.

That Nike Hercules in the photo back ground brings back memories of Ft Bliss.

Thanks for the photos
Don

#3: Re: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:40 pm
    ----
CEV? I thought this was an M48/Shillelagh prototype?

Neil

#4: Re: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:00 pm
    ----
Isn't that one now in Armada Michigan?

That turret is the "D" model proposed for the XM66 (later called M60A2) program.

Here it is on the M60 hull,

D turret XM66

#5: Re: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:54 pm
    ----
Joe,
How/why did this turret end up on an M48 hull? Was it for actual testing, or a later "kit-bash" for display like some of the other franken-tanks out there?

Also, can you take a look at the Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox thread? Could use your help with reconciling some SN & RN info for M60s there...

Neil

#6: Re: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:46 pm
    ----
Will do Neil,

That Armada tank looks like a kit-bash to me. So I think it's either one of the M48A2E1 test mules used to evaluate the Diesel for the M60 or one of the M48A1E2's used to develop the M48A3.

The three support rollers and side loading filters are the clue. The Diesel test mule used an M48A2 and was modified, so the deck would be slightly different where it mates to the hull. Another tell is the front hull would be cast with re-enforced mounts for the idler assembly.

The M48A1E2's (2 each) were made from M48A1 hulls and had their excess support rollers removed. All subsequent models retained all five rollers. The deck on those would be the same as the A3's. Also, since these started off as A1's they would have the re-enforced idler mounts welded to the hull, which are easily ID'd by the bead weld and shape. Just gotta get dirty sometimes.

I have yet to see a good enough picture of that Armada tank to figure out which it is, if it's even either.

I got some pictures I took that demonstrate the difference of the idler mounts. If you want I can post them.

It's another on my list of oddities I want to document, although not as high on that list.

#7: Re: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:02 pm
    ----
Neil-- That's what it had been labeled as before the M48/Shillelagh prototype, my bad. I am an old man you know...LOL.

JoeD-- What do you need to see to give this a positive ID?

#8: Re: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:37 pm
    ----
Here one....

I have more but gotta dig thru some files to find them.

Don

#9: Re: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:16 pm
    ----

#10: Re: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:37 pm
    ----
WOW, cool

Heres something that goes along with your photos

Don

#11: Re: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:59 pm
    ----
Hey Don,

That RN applies also to the more common picture showing the "A" model turret. They used the same M60 hull for all the mock-ups.

Shawn,

Looking at your pictures I'm leaning towards M48A1E2 hull (A1 to A3 conversion). Those headlamps were never used on the M48A2 to my knowledge. Records show only two were made with three support rollers. So what we might have here is a one of a kind turret on a two of a kind hull. Pretty rare. Would be nice to put that turret on an M60 and that hull with an A3 turret. Belongs at Aberdeen IMO.

Here are some pictures to show the difference of a converted A1 hull from an A2.

Hope this helps clarify the differences.

M48A2 idler mount front view

M48A1 converted to A3 idler mount front view, notice the weld marks.

M48A2 idler mount rear view

M48A1 converted to A3 idler mount rear view, notice the re-enforcing rib

Here is another shot of the conversion adapter on the left side.

Keep in mind that greatest majority of M48's stateside (A3's, A5's, AVLB's, and DIVAD) started off as M48A1's. Most M48A2's were sent overseas to allies (W. Germany and South Korea to name a few).

#12: Re: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:54 pm
    ----
Thanks,
I think I will go by and take another looksy. I can agree, it belongs somewhere other than a small country community park! but that would be another discussion...

And Neil-- you never made it up that way but there is an M60A3 in the village just up from this one... I have pics of that I could post if anyone is interested?

#13: Re: M48 CEV prototype 1978 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:01 pm
    ----
Do you have to ask....

I for one can never get enough M60 pictures Mr. Green

Better she be displayed there than ending up a hard target or scrap metal, happens way too often Sad .

-> AFV News Discussion Board