Museum?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Museum? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:22 pm
    ----
Where is the museum that has the Sheridan crashing through the front wall? I have "CRS". Laughing

#2: Re: Museum? Author: kmeyer PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:13 pm
    ----
I think it is in Eldred, Pennsylvania.

www.eldredwwiimuseum.org/index.html

#3: Re: Museum? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:25 pm
    ----
Mark, Are we talking about this Stuart maybe? Wolfboro VT pic deleted

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Museum? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:09 pm
    ----
I don't think ir was either of these. It's a Sheridan coming out of the front wall. Thanks. Razz

#5: Re: Museum? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:17 pm
    ----
Is this it?

www.eldredwwiimuseum.o...39x234.jpg

As 'Kmeyer' said, it is in Eldred, Pennsylvania www.eldredwwiimuseum.org/index.html

Don

#6: Re: Museum? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:40 pm
    ----
It got stuck there because they didn't use a real tank. Laughing

OK, it's just for fun I realize, but I shudder to think of the effect of putting a turreted "vehicle muzzle" first into a brick wall.

#7: Re: Museum? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:52 pm
    ----
Thats an easy one.... Wink

After impact, if the gun is recoiled by the wall,....

You just pick the round up off the turret floor, check the bore for debris, and (if clear) reload the round.

Besides you just did your Q-service 'pull-over' test, so your mechanics will thank you ..... Laughing

Don

#8: Re: Museum? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:33 pm
    ----
One of the requirments at the beginning of WWII that American tanks had to meet was that the main gun could not extend past the front (or rear) of the vehicle. This initially limited the choice of weapons that could be considered. The requirment was eventually dropped and longer barreled (higher velocity) guns could be used.

One WWII tanker I talked to at the museum once told me that it made him laugh to see tanks crashing through buildings in movies. They had one tank try that only to find out that many buildings had cellars and most floors would not support a Sherman Rolling Eyes

#9: Re: Museum? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:09 am
    ----
- Dontos
You just pick the round up off the turret floor, check the bore for debris, and (if clear) reload the round.

Don

You mean those several pounds of propellant powder deposited there after the 152mm round case broke open and puckered everybodies' main rotor? Laughing

#10: Re: Museum? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:50 pm
    ----
Dontos wrote:

And pray the recoil mech wasn't damaged bad enough to fly out of battery when you fire. Lost one of my "Rent-A-Tanks" to Boat Wright for a while when a crew of young BNCOC students spiked the tube into a berm. About $54,000 damage when all was done, and unless you inspected the system real close, you'd never know. Good thing the driver was one of my troops and told us.

Better hope you didn't break/loose the MRS either Shocked .

#11: Re: Museum? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:48 pm
    ----
Thanks everyone. It is the Eldridge Museum it appears. Dontos' post shows the wall I was wondering about.

#12: Re: Museum? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:20 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

MRS...is that the two bits of thread I have stretched across the muzzle? Shocked

#13: Re: Museum? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:29 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
- Joe_D

MRS...is that the two bits of thread I have stretched across the muzzle? Shocked

NO Ascout, you are thinking of the 'caveman' boresight device. Cool

The MRS is mounted on the end of the guntube and has some extreme HAZMAT conserns if it is broken or knocked off.

Don

#14: Re: Museum? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:35 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- JG300-Ascout
- Joe_D

NO Ascout, you are thinking of the 'caveman' boresight device. Cool

The MRS is mounted on the end of the guntube and has some extreme HAZMAT conserns if it is broken or knocked off.

Don

Razz

I knew 'dat. Wink

Having an MRS on a Sheridan is like having an 8x Leupold on a sawed off shotgun. The muzzle is just "out there", about an arms length away.... Laughing

BTW, what's the hazardous material...mercury or sum'thin'?

#15: Re: Museum? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:20 am
    ----
Wish it was just Mercury,

Used to house a "Tritium" Isotope gas so it would be visible at night to do an update.

First generation was pink, next blue, now we are eco-friendly, uses a flat watch type battery and diode, much safer now and no need to call the Chemo if one breaks.

-> AFV News Discussion Board