Sherman getting a concrete job
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:03 pm
    ----
Proof positive that cheap concrete isn't very effective against a good Shape charge.

#17: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:10 pm
    ----
Yeah,....but what is at 20 FEET !!!

Especially back in that period of time.

Regards
Don

#18: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:17 pm
    ----
I would think that at 20 feet with all that concrete spalling around that whoever was using the panzerfaust was pretty much dead meat too

#19: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:33 am
    ----
Knowing how to stay alive after launch was the key

Youth and daring are never a good substitute for knowledge and experience, unless your sending lambs to slaughter Neutral

#20: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:45 am
    ----
somebody mentioned General Patton... we have all seen the photos of him given that ass chewing to the EZ8 crew with all the sandbags... does anybody know how the conversation went? Particularly the response if any from the crew?

#21: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:37 am
    ----
I'm willing to bet it probably sounded like this to the crew:

Blah, Blah, #$%&, Blah, blah, Bla-Blah Blah, Blah @#$%^!!!!!!!

and after the General walked away the TC probably said to his crew:

@#$%^ him, he ain't being shot at!

But seriously, wonder what was said, especially by the crew.

#22: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:26 am
    ----
With a shaped charge the range only affects whether you HIT the target, not what happens WHEN it gets hit.

The add on armor actually made things worse. The later panzerfausts had a sub-optimal standoff distance (too short). Having something trigger the fuze farther from the armor improved the penetration.

KL

#23: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:08 am
    ----
300th Engineer Leonard Burke described General Patton at Moosburg:
When they got it [the bridge] ready, they said, "Get ready! Get ready!" Old Patton came up from the water line and went to the first tank. He gave these instructions, "Get those sandbags off all these tanks." They had sandbags on the tanks. I couldn't hear what else he said but he was giving them hell. He got in the tank and they were gone.

quoted from another source:
“His name is Scyon Shear we had a very nice conversation we discussed the war in Germany and how difficult Gen. Patton was to get along with. They aways had my uncle park his tank and every time he did Patton would cuss and scream at him. He would always say he parked it in the wrong place, or he drove it to slow. Well one day they did get into an argument and my uncle told him. “were both wearing colt 45’s so why don’t you come over here and slap me like you did that other soldier” Patton simply replied with “ If the son of a mother whore German don’t kill you then I will” Patton never made good on his promise and my uncle was soon under the command of another Gen. so every thing turned out well. He lives in Azle Texas now and he was part of the 237 headquarters company between 1943-1948.”

William McFarlane, met Patton while his unit was being inspected by Patton in the fall of 1944. Bill had just been promoted, and had only tacked his new stripes onto his uniform. His unit was standing nearly knee-deep in mud in a company formation when Patton appeared. Dismounting from his vehicle, Patton slogged through the mud past several companies, then turned between two of them. Soon he was near Bill. Looking at Bill, Patton said "You know, those stripes don't look so good on someone with boots as muddy as yours are." Bill reached across himself, tore the stripes off one sleeve, and, extending the stripes to Patton, said "If you think they'd look better on you, you take them." In his letter home, Bill said that Patton stared him straight in the eye for about ten seconds, expressionless and stone-faced. Then Patton broke into a broad grin and wordlessly walked away. What we have drawn from this is that Patton admired one thing more than anything else in a soldier - nerve. Bill was killed in the opener of the Bulge on December 16, 1944.

#24: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:18 am
    ----
Re: Patton
I would probably let it go in one ear and out the other. That would be a fight I just dont think would be worth it. I just want to get this war over and go home. I am miserable enough here as it is...

#25: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: binder001 PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:15 pm
    ----
One other thing that stands out to me - in the photo the M4A3E8 appears to one that was modified under the SEVENTH Army program. It had the steel frame full rack around the hull. These show up mainly in the 14th Armored Div, sometimes in the 12th Armored and some of Seventh Army's tank battalions. With units moving back and forth between the Third and Seventh Armies, some poor schlub was getting the famous "A%% chewing" for having his tank modified according to orders from another commander.

Gary

#26: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:48 pm
    ----
The photobucket bandwidth exceeded notices will disappear on the 25th, someone has to many photos posted online....but he also has another secret account, people gotta see tanks Rolling Eyes

-> AFV News Discussion Board