Anyone want to guess which tank this is mounted on?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Anyone want to guess which tank this is mounted on? Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:23 am
    ----
My guess is a valentine...

#2: Re: Anyone want to guess which tank this is mounted on? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:28 am
    ----
Looks like a Valentine to me by those road wheels.

Is that one of the "Funnies" being developed?

Some sort of mine clearing device using high pressure air???

#3: Re: Anyone want to guess which tank this is mounted on? Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:50 am
    ----
As someone that lives in a northern clime, I can't help but wonder whether it's a device for MELTING SNOW.

#4: Re: Anyone want to guess which tank this is mounted on? Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:12 pm
    ----
Okay heres one mounted on a sherman...

#5: Re: Anyone want to guess which tank this is mounted on? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:22 pm
    ----
I'm thinking runway snow clearance. Recall that the Dutch AF museum Soesterburg or Soestduinen or whatever-it-is has a purpose-built yellow tracked vehicle with a jet engine mounted on it for just that purpose. Have pics at home, but I ain't thar.....

#6: Re: Anyone want to guess which tank this is mounted on? Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:54 pm
    ----
I suspect its something to do with mine-clearing as its an army project and they don't have many runways.

#7: Re: Anyone want to guess which tank this is mounted on? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:48 pm
    ----
I wouldn't think high velocity HOT air would be a good way to clear mines. I think most explosives become unstable when they get heated up.

DO you know when and where these were taken?

#8: Re: Anyone want to guess which tank this is mounted on? Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:56 pm
    ----
- bsmart
I wouldn't think high velocity HOT air would be a good way to clear mines. I think most explosives become unstable when they get heated up.

Bob your second sentence just proved why it is an efficient way to clear mines - after all what do unstable explosives do? they tend to explode so no mines left. Rather like a hair dryer version of a flail tank Wink

DO you know when and where these were taken?

Sometime in the early 50's as far as I know. You Americans tried the same thing in 1947 on an M26 except it was rocket motors...

#9: Re: Anyone want to guess which tank this is mounted on? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:45 pm
    ----
Yea but if they don't blow up they could be more unstable. and the high volume high velocity air can scatter them all over. A flail tank beats downward and mechanically sets them off. Blowing them all over the place doesn't seem like a good idea.

#10: Re: Anyone want to guess which tank this is mounted on? Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:52 am
    ----
formerspook.blogspot.c...hreat.html

#11: Re: Anyone want to guess which tank this is mounted on? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:56 am
    ----
- Shadow_Banshee
http://formerspook.blogspot.com/2007/12/blowing-away-threat.html

Nice find SB - I've been wondering for ages who made that thing...

-> AFV News Discussion Board