Saumur Panther G
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:07 pm
    ----
Hello,

I went to Saumur museum today, and the Panther Ausf. G is still at the same place, still missing its tracks :

P-O

#32: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:29 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
I went to Saumur museum today

What's the temp display this year? Have you seen any new or unusual vehicle?

I read they plan to cover the are where the AMX-13 tanks has been, any news on that?

Massimo

#33: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:56 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

I read they plan to cover the are where the AMX-13 tanks has been, any news on that?

Massimo

don't known for the temp displays, I didn't go inside the museum, just photographed the areas outside..

I'll go back there in May.

The news are :
-AMX-10 RC revalorisé (means upgraded)
-Panhard VBL

I didn't see the Wiesel 2 SYRANO that arrived in the museum last year.

I was able to get the SN of one of the two M3A3s of the museum

and that's it..

P-O

#34: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:12 am
    ----
TANKS guys, keep us posted with this Panther, as some of us are stuck at home.....:) but with a 8 month old....:)

Anthony

#35: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:49 am
    ----
now the Panther has its tracks (pictures taken yesterday) :

P-O

#36: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:43 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

this year, there are an M32B1 TRV, an M3A3 Stuart and some recovery and repair trucks in the temporary display area. I've done a good walkaround of the M32B1 TRV.

P-O

#37: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: vallsLocation: Rio de Janeiro - BRASIL PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:54 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
Neil,

the Free French markings were painted after the war (it was painted for the display at the Invalides, Paris)

Hi,

I have been following with great interest this tread about the recovery of this Panther stored in Saumur.

My doubt is that the one at the Invalides is (was) an ausf A while this is an ausf G.

So they are not the same vehicles, and my question is: where is the former Invalides ausf A now ?

Regards,

JValls

#38: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:56 pm
    ----
Probably the one at Mourmelon-le-Grand.
"Panther Ausf. A – 501/503e RCC, Mourmelon-le-Grand (France)
This tank served in the 112th Panzer Brigade and participated to the Battle of Dompaire in September 1944. After the battle, two
Panthers were captured by the 2ème Division Blindée (French 2nd Armored Division) and sent to Paris to be displayed in front of the
Invalides. In 1976, they were transferred to Saumur. The other Panther, an Ausf. G, is being restored at Saumur (info. from various
sources). The French Army did use Panther tanks from 1945 to 1952, in the 503rd RCC and the 6e Cuirs (Chars français website)"
the.shadock.free.fr/Ta...index.html

#39: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:32 pm
    ----
That's it exactly: preservedtanks.com/Pro...niqueID=35

#40: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: vallsLocation: Rio de Janeiro - BRASIL PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:54 pm
    ----
Nice info. Thank you both.

Eventually there are two Panthers in Mourmelon because the one indicated by Pzkfw-e has zimmerit while the one indicated by Trevor doesen't.

Luckly France still keeps several Panthers around in good condition.
I remember having seen another one in three tones and with zimmerit in the Museum at Caen that now seems to be in Saumur.

Thanks for the info !

Regards,

JValls

#41: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:15 am
    ----
- valls
Eventually there are two Panthers in Mourmelon because the one indicated by Pzkfw-e has zimmerit while the one indicated by Trevor doesen't.

It's the same tank, pictures were taken at different times. I suggest you take a look at the PDF on Pierre-Olivier website to get a better idea:
the.shadock.free.fr/Su...nzers.html

Massimo

#42: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:02 am
    ----
I've heard that the Zimmerit was made with tile glue and the restoration was undertaken maybe 10 years ago...

While we know with certainty that Saumur's Panther G comes from Dompaire, there is a debate about the identity of Mourmelon's. I have seen a photo of a Panther abandoned in Paris in 1944 that has the same hit on the front hull side than the Mourmelon, so this one could indeed be a survivor of the Battle of Paris :

P-O

#43: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: vallsLocation: Rio de Janeiro - BRASIL PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:07 pm
    ----
Thanks everybody for the interesting info.

Regards,

JValls

#44: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:07 am
    ----
Is the former Caen Panther still at Saumur?

Regards,
Lesley

#45: Re: Saumur Panther G Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:21 am
    ----
- L.Delsing
Is the former Caen Panther still at Saumur?

Regards,
Lesley

yes, that's the one in static display inside the museum, an Ausf. A not in running condition. Now Saumur only has 3 Panthers and the two other ones are the Ausf. G being restored to display condition, and the other Ausf. A that is in running condition.

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board