Is this or was this at Aberdeen?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:01 pm
    ----
Is this or was this at Aberdeen, I found this old pic and it says Aberdeen. 24cm K3 Gun German. Anyone have a better pic of it at Aberdeen.

#2: Re: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:22 pm
    ----
Curious... For a couple of reasons:

First off, it doesnt look like APG to me... The buildings, background, concrete pad, etc...

But... My records show that the Ordnance Museum should have a K3 24cm field howitzer in its inventory, or at least did at one time... The info seems to have come from the current inventory info (not the "inactive files"), but no info on past or current locations - IOW, I have never seen it anywhere... Could be behind the fence... For all we know this picture was taken somewhere behind the fence...

Neil Confused

#3: Re: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:30 pm
    ----
I'm guessing that it might be at Ft Sill, Ok?

With the 'Parade ground' and Old style buildings,.....hmmmm

JMHO
Don

#4: Re: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:56 pm
    ----
don i don't think so, its with a bunch of Aberdeen pics, but I can be wrong.
the photo is dated 1982 and I hadn't been to Sill at that time...

#5: Re: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:18 pm
    ----
The last time I was at Ft Sill was 1965-66, so I'm a bit more 'dated'.

I could be wrong, but the background reminds me of Ft Sill or Ft Bliss. I know its not Bliss though, I remember most of the statics on Ft Bliss, very well.

Don

#6: Re: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:29 pm
    ----
well, maybe someone will know for sure. But I had been to neither place and its my pic. I'm getting old...it could have been anywhere on Aberdeen if that where it is..

#7: Re: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:41 pm
    ----
I found a reference in The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II By Chris Bishop that says it can be seen at Aberdeen, so I guess that's where I saw it. '82 was really a long time ago

#8: Re: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:57 pm
    ----
AJ

Speak for yourself!

In 1982, I was in my 4th year at LSU (of 6 ... Cool ) and enjoying life....!! It seems like just yesterday. Shocked

on the other issue, APG it is.

Don

#9: Re: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:26 pm
    ----
If it was at APG then it wasn't at the museum area or the mile of tanks. I was visiting three or four times a year back then and I don't recall ever seeing it and it's not in any of my old photos

Piney

#10: Re: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:55 pm
    ----
Hm... another K3 preserwed in Koblenz. Maybe it's same gun?

#11: Re: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:02 pm
    ----
At this point I'm 99% sure I took this pic at Aberdeen, just because of the places I had been at that time. I was never one to just look in the museum area so it could have been anywhere on base. I'll be there this week so I will ask around and look around....Thanks everyone

#12: Re: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:11 pm
    ----
Did I not see this example in your identification thread on that other website or am I completely confused again?

OTOH, ISTR having seen a K3 in that particular shade of gray Aberdeen was so fond of... I need an USB stick for my brain, it seems. Rolling Eyes

Jens O.

#13: Re: Is this or was this at Aberdeen? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:16 pm
    ----
Question solved, I received this photo from Glen Milam with this note. Thank you Glen and I'm glad you keep better notes than I do.. Is this the one in Germany now?

Hi guys,

Here is the photo of the German 24cm gun at Aberdeen PG. The photo was taken on July 4, 1974. The location was in front of several stone building outside the inner security gate south of the rail yard.

-> AFV News Discussion Board