Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload"
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:48 pm
    ----
Who's the crazy character in blue? Wink

www.armorfortheages.co...adPage.htm

Also, four new pages have been added to the SdKfz 251 restoration page
www.armorfortheages.co...ctPage.htm

Neil

#2: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: west-frontLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:04 am
    ----
I have been following the 251 restoration for sometime now, and think its a fantastic effort by all concerned, thank you for sharing the link.

#3: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:07 am
    ----
- west-front
I have been following the 251 restoration for sometime now, and think its a fantastic effort by all concerned, thank you for sharing the link.

It is shaping up. Real progress on a rare vehicle that has been disassembled for over 15 years.

Don

#4: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: west-frontLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:06 am
    ----
I really enjoy seeing the level of authentic work on the crew seats and the wooden boxes in the lockers (dovetails etc). Really pleasing to see it done to that level.

#5: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:21 pm
    ----
Robert Decker and Randy Smith have been the driving force behind getting the details as correct as possible. Sometimes the restoration work on it is slow, but then suddenly a whole lot comes together all at once. When it is finished, the 251 will be one of the crown jewels in the collection.

Garry

#6: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:21 pm
    ----
Seeing these projects makes me wish I lived close enough to help out!

#7: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:44 pm
    ----
- A2_Prius

Same here.

#8: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:34 am
    ----
- A2_Prius

Well, one day Don and I will be saying the same thing. Crying or Very sad

#9: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:00 am
    ----
I know what you mean. And for me it will be sooner than I want to think about Sad

#10: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:15 am
    ----
Just trying to help out while I can, even if, at the 'end of the day', it all goes south....

Don

#11: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:32 am
    ----
- bsmart
I know what you mean. And for me it will be sooner than I want to think about Sad

Bob,
How long will it take you to drive to Fort Lee?

#12: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:13 am
    ----
For me its almost equidistant - from Arlington, VA... Although APG is actually slightly closer...

For Bob its certainly a longer drive...

Neil

#13: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:21 am
    ----
Yeah, if I lived two or three hours away from Benning, I'd volunteer there, but its a good eight hours. Even a visit is going to be an overnight stay.

#14: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:49 am
    ----
- Garry_Redmon
- bsmart

Bob,
How long will it take you to drive to Fort Lee?

Google Maps says 'up to 3h 40m in traffic. I think that 3.40 would be a fair number in the most off peak time anyone around here can imagine. I would allow a minimum of 4 hours, and on Friday afternoon (going south) or Sunday (coming north) in the April - October season I would allow 5 hours and hope there wasn't an accident, overturned truck, etc. And the drive time isn't 'put it on cruise and relax. always very heavy, lots of bumper to bumper show no mercy. (One friend says he doesn't use turn signals for lane changes because it only warns the other person that he left too much space in front of him and to close up Twisted Evil )

A standing joke around here is that It took Grant so long to get to Richmond because of the traffic on I-95.

The problem is that even if you take an alternate route to I-95 (The busiest long distance Interstate in the country) there are at least three places where ther is no reasonable alternative to a single bridge.

I'm lucky with Aberdeen in that although it is 85 miles away there are three distinct ways around Baltimore with lots of short diversions if there are any accidents, overturned trucks, etc. Getting to Aberdeen is a pretty consistent 90-100 minutes (only one time in the last 5 years did I get stuck in traffic)

#15: Re: Patton Museum "Tiger II Reload" Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:56 pm
    ----
Your as close to Aberdeen as I am to Fort Knox. It's about 90 miles and takes and hour and a half to get there.

On a side note, once everything has moved and the new museum at Benning is up and running, I'll probably wait a year or so before paying it a visit. Maybe some other volunteers will be interested in a road trip.

-> AFV News Discussion Board