The Confiker Worm - How to tell if you've got it
-> Officer's Club

#1: The Confiker Worm - How to tell if you've got it Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:48 pm
    ----
You've probably all heard about it by now, and how nasty it is.
Although it's currently "inactive", it may still slow up your pc and make it sluggish even before it starts doing anything.
Confiker is pretty much undetectable to the 'layman', and many of the anti-virus suites we might use, so many users don't even suspect they've been infected.

So just how do you know if your system has picked up something nasty from a loved one?

One way is by using the worm's own features.
Once infected, Conficker is designed to prevent you from getting help and accessing certain web pages which might aid you in removing it.
So how about just trying to do just that?

Try and access, for example:-
Avast.com;
PC Pitstop;
Malwarebytes;
etc.

If you can't, you might have a problem.

#2: Re: The Confiker Worm - How to tell if you've got it Author: 401RCAF_JelLocation: Hiding in Sherwood Forest PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:28 pm
    ----
Cheers Shades... helpful tip there Mr. Green

#3: Re: The Confiker Worm - How to tell if you've got it Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 pm
    ----
Or just say "Oh I'm running Linux" Never Mind Razz

#4: Re: The Confiker Worm - How to tell if you've got it Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:45 am
    ----
Thanks Shades and yep, I've been busy fixin' puters this week infected with the worm. It's a nasty one and if you're running Windows, make sure you're anti-virus and anti-intrusion programs are up to the newest databases... OR...

- bsmart
Or just say "Oh I'm running Linux" Never Mind Razz

Snickering... Wink

#5: Re: The Confiker Worm - How to tell if you've got it Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:09 pm
    ----
I'm all Norton'd up.
(so already sluggish)

-> Officer's Club