A little OT but might be fun
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: A little OT but might be fun Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:49 pm
    ----
I'm a movie buff and I suspect a good number of our members maybe too, so a question, If your stranded on a desert island and can take 3 military movies (Any era, land, sea, or air) What would be on you list ?

mine
Fort Apache
633 Squadron
They Were Expendable

let the debate begin Smile

#2: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:57 pm
    ----
Gettysburg

The Longest Day

ZULU!

Hey with the first two I probably get the most hours per title of any decent movies! I was thinking of 'A Bridge Too Far" as the Third one but the climax of ZULU! won out.

One movie I wouldn't take is 'Lawrence of Arabia'. Not to a DESERT island Laughing

#3: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:07 pm
    ----
One movie I wouldn't take is 'Lawrence of Arabia'. Not to a DESERT island
Groan
great choices

#4: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:24 pm
    ----
Band of Brothers (I know it's a stretch)
Tuntematon Sotilas (The Unknown Soldier) 1985 remake.
A Bridge Too Far

#5: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:28 pm
    ----
Oh Although it is a great Tank movie Sahara is another one that is probably a bad choice for a Desert Island Rolling Eyes

#6: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: JohnPrigentLocation: Sussex, UK PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:12 pm
    ----
Hmmm. Aces High (or was it Twelve O'Clock High?), the B&W WWI movie made back in the early days with _real_ WWI planes, Zulu, and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.
cheers
John

#7: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:15 pm
    ----
Hmmmm, the term desert island, or deserted island, refers to an island which is uninhabited or sparsely inhabited.

So there would be no electricity, to power my TV ... if there ever was a TV to begin with at a desert island. Rolling Eyes

#8: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:56 pm
    ----
So there would be no electricity, to power my TV

No phone, no Car, no TV Set, not a single luxury.................

Gilligans Island was a "Desert Isle",

They had all sorts of cool stuff, thanks to the "Professor",

I guess you'd have to be inventive Smile

#9: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:36 pm
    ----
Or imaginative. Razz

#10: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:51 pm
    ----
A real tanker would "McGyver" together a TV, satellite dish, wet bar, generator and still with sea shells, sand and seaweed and watch any dang thing he wanted with a drink in his hand. Wink

#11: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:00 pm
    ----
So there would be no electricity, to power my TV
I would have a skwirrel powered generator for my DVD player and TV Laughing

"Twelve o'Clock High" is about B-17's in the ETO by the way, another great movie with Gregory Peck

#12: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:12 pm
    ----
Three era's....

"Grand Illusion" (or "Paths of Glory")...I would say "The Blue Max", but I think I'd get really sick of George Peppard. then again, there is Ursula...and no stinkin' CGI in the flying scenes.

"The Great Escape" (second runner-up, "Cross of Iron")

"Apocalypse Now-Redux"

I thought about including "Pearl Harbor" and "Windtalkers", but was afraid somebody might take me seriously..... Laughing

#13: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:26 am
    ----
I can't believe that a bunch of folks who call themselves tankers and tank-fans would leave "Kelly's Heroes" off of a list like this. What is the world coming too?

Is there any other movie that captures the typical attitude of tankers than that movie? It's amazing how many folks I've worked and tanked with seem to resemble characters from that movie...

C

#14: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:39 pm
    ----
No, never, say it ain't so Laughing ,

It is suspiciously left out. Maybe because so many have seen it so often they choose movies they haven't actually seen in a long time.

One of my favorite scenes is after getting a quick assessment and Frago from "Oddball" over the net they come out of the railroad tunnel and wreck havoc.

#15: Re: A little OT but might be fun Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm
    ----
My choices would range from the popular to the obscure.

Military movies/shows:

Cross of Iron
Gardens of Stone
Kellys Heroes
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
The Big Red One

etc,...etc,...etc

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board