Fort Lewis #3: Museum BMP-1, T-72, MT-LB ID help!, BRDM-2
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Lewis #3: Museum BMP-1, T-72, MT-LB ID help!, BRDM-2 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:28 am
    ----
These are all left over from the 2nd ACR Museum

BMP-1

T-72 SN K12BT4249

MT-LB -based variant? ID help needed!

BRDM-2

What's the story behind this Trabant? Any ideas?

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Fri May 01, 2009 11:16 pm; edited 3 times in total

#2: Re: Fort Lewis #3: Museum BMP-2, T-72, SNAR-10, BRDM-2 Author: palic PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:03 am
    ----
Neil, that is undoubtly BMP-1 with low pressure GROM gun and 9M14M Malyutka rail over the barrel...
SNAR-10 should have rotating turret so I am slightly afraid MT-LB based vehicle has been misidentified too.

Last edited by palic on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Fort Lewis #3: Museum BMP-1, T-72, SNAR-10, BRDM-2 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:05 am
    ----
Oh right, sorry, typo / "brainfart" on the BMP-1...

But I thought it was the MT-LBu that has a larger rotating turret at the rear, instead of the SNAR-10 radar vehicle?

Neil

#4: Re: Fort Lewis #3: Museum BMP-1, T-72, SNAR-10, BRDM-2 Author: palic PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:09 am
    ----
Hope we did not make a mistake, more pics here: forum.valka.cz/viewtop...or/t/17690

#5: Re: Fort Lewis #3: Museum BMP-1, T-72, SNAR-10, BRDM-2 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:15 am
    ----
No, you're probably right... This is another MT-LB -based vehicle, not a SNAR-10 or an MT-LBu...

ID help anyone?

Neil

#6: Re: Fort Lewis #3: Museum BMP-1, T-72, MT-LB variant?, BRDM-2 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:08 pm
    ----
Neil,

Just a guess on the "Traby", but look at the tag. "2ACR-11-89".

2nd ACR was Southern border duty between East and West Germany and Czechoslovakia. 11- 89 was when the wall came down and the East Germans flooded across. Many came in their Trabants and then abandoned them. Many friends of mine said they littered the road sides for months. I'll bet this one was saved by the regiment as a souvenir from "When the Wall came down". Shame it's out doors. Most of the body panels are made of a sawdust type composition that falls apart after a while.

#7: Re: Fort Lewis #3: Museum BMP-1, T-72, MT-LB variant?, BRDM-2 Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:36 pm
    ----
Perhaps the Trabant is a stage prop from U2's "Zoo Station" tour?

#8: Re: Fort Lewis #3: Museum BMP-1, T-72, MT-LB ID help!, BRDM- Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:54 am
    ----
That is really cool to see the Iraqi vehicles at Fort Lewis, I have pictures of them at Fort Polk when 2cav still had their mus down there...polk had a nice collection when 2 cav was there along with the lonely 5 id vehicle park...

#9: Re: Fort Lewis #3: Museum BMP-1, T-72, MT-LB ID help!, BRDM-2 Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:55 pm
    ----
It seems the Fort Lewis T-72 was modified by the Iraqi army. At first I thought it was a T-72A with the 8 KMT mounts but comparing it with a photo of a T-72A there were some differences.

AFAIK it is a T-72M early hull (4 ribs in front of the driver, no 16mm plate attached), but the turret should then have handholds and no smoke grenade launchers)

The turret looks like a M late or M1 variant. Did the Iraqi army some swapping of hulls/turret or is a good turret put on a good hull and send back to the USA?

#10: Re: Fort Lewis #3: Museum BMP-1, T-72, MT-LB ID help!, BRDM-2 Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:06 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
These are all left over from the 2nd ACR Museum

MT-LB -based variant? ID help needed!

What's the story behind this Trabant? Any ideas?

Neil

Dear Neil,
transporter MT-LB with protrusion in the rear fuselage was modified ambulance for Iraq (guarantee possible 9 out of ten). The superstructure was built for air-conditioning equipment - see ventilation holes.

P. S.
Trabant not Czechoslovak license plate.

#11: Re: Fort Lewis #3: Museum BMP-1, T-72, MT-LB ID help!, BRDM-2 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:20 pm
    ----
The License plate is a fabrication made in Germany by the 2nd ACR, symbolizing the date it became part of the Musuem,.....Nov 89.

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board