The Shell Game begins
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: The Shell Game begins Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:45 pm
    ----
On Thursday, with the assistance of a D6 'Tow Cat', all the vehicles in the 'mud' of the upper storage area in Richardson MP, began to be moved down to the center concrete area.

As of noon today, approx 33 vehicles had been moved. The move should be completed by Tuesday.

This will enable better access to all the vehicles, as the arrangement is more Motor Pool style in several aligned rows.

I do have some photos, and will post them a little later.

A bit of good news for those interested in stopping by.....

Don

#2: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:06 pm
    ----
Here is ROW 1:

Some from Row 2:

Just a few, as a teaser!

Cool
Don

#3: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:27 pm
    ----
Here is the Comet.

Cool
Don

#4: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:54 pm
    ----
Now that's where they should've been all the while,

All you need now is an overhead cover and they'd be fine. But I doubt that'll happen with the upcoming move to Benning. Shame it took so long to get them on the tarmac, they've been sitting in gravel and mud for years.

#5: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:13 am
    ----
JG300 wants to adopt this one. From the "nose art", looks like our kind of outfit and vehicle! Wink

- Dontos
Here is the Comet.

Cool
Don

#6: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:45 am
    ----
A few others that haven't really gotten much coverage.

Regards
Don

#7: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:57 am
    ----
Here is some new data....

Found the SN stamped in the hull behind where the data plate was. Located in the drivers compartment, on the left rear of the drivers seat.

Don

#8: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:01 am
    ----
Dontos, I would love to have your job when I retire. In April 2012 it become reality. Just over 30+ years of active duty / Guard time. However I will probably stay in the ft Hood area if I do not go back to Ohio.

#9: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:11 pm
    ----
Good news, and pics. Nice to see a Challenger and Chieftain. The state of the Sherman upsets me - it's obviously a rarity.

#10: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:57 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Dontos, I would love to have your job when I retire. In April 2012 it become reality. Just over 30+ years of active duty / Guard time. However I will probably stay in the ft Hood area if I do not go back to Ohio.

Jeff

I'd love to have a job doing this!! I couldn't imagine actually getting paid to do this (actually I could, but it ain't happening) ANYWAY!!! Shocked Mr. Green

This is all volunteer 'work', when I have the free time. Unfortunately, I have too much free time. But I'm always in search of better/more meaningful employment.

In the meantime, I help out and it gives me the chance to learn more & then 'report back' here on the AFV DG.

Regards
Don

#11: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:48 pm
    ----
Here are a couple more

Enjoy
Don

#12: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:46 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Good news, and pics. Nice to see a Challenger and Chieftain. The state of the Sherman upsets me - it's obviously a rarity.

It is a Mine Exploder T11. Experimental vehicle consisting of an M4A4 with six spigot mortars on the front that were set to fire forward. It was originally at Quantico and was in this condition when it arrived.

Garry

#13: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:13 am
    ----
I suspected it was the T11 - but my recollection is that it was in pretty good condition when I saw it. Granted that was in the 1980's, but its deterioration is shocking.

Edit: Here it is, summer 1983:

#14: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:14 pm
    ----
A 'historical' shot, in 'better days'

The exterior is far better than her interior. I took a peek into the TC hatch and it isn't pretty.

She came to 'us' several years ago, from Quantico, along with one of the LVTs, if I remember correctly.

Regards
Don

#15: Re: The Shell Game begins Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:09 am
    ----
Nice shots - thanks. The one labeled "M36B1" is in fact an M36 (or even an M36B2). The M36B1 used the hull of an M4A3 with Wet ammo stowage. The M36B2 used the GM diesel engines of the M10, w2hile a straight M36 used the Ford gas engine of the M4A3 and M10A1. That point is moot as the Yugoslavians re-engined their M36s with diesels as used in Soviet T55s. Note the box projection on the lower rear plate - needed to provide clearance for the Russian motor.

Gary

-> AFV News Discussion Board