Shawn: Some unconfirmed AFVs in Michigan 2
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Shawn: Some unconfirmed AFVs in Michigan 2 Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:56 pm
    ----
Hey Neil, I will be in the s.w. area of MI this weekend, etc. I will try, as time allows to confirm what is in the area.
They needed no confirmation except that I wanted to see how they looked now, but I checked on these today before the rains moved in.
If it isnt on the updated lit, dont forget to add the Estral Beach M4A3 to the registry,
SR

#2: Re: Shawn: Some unconfirmed AFVs in Michigan 2 Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:48 am
    ----
I was looking at the list, the VFW post in Roseville does not have any armor there, I live a few blocks from there and they have not had anything there for at least the last 20 yrs or so....

Also, the M110 at TACOM is gone off the lawn, replaced by an armored HMMWV, but they added a Stryker MGS to the collection.

The tank at the light Guard Armory is gone too, rumor was that it went to Battle Creek.

Didn't the T23 go back to Knox too?

#3: Re: Shawn: Some unconfirmed AFVs in Michigan 2 Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:39 am
    ----
Hey Chris,
I am going to be in Battle Creek over the weekend, do you know where the Lt Guard Armory M48 might be-- private hands or public display?

I havent seen the T23 in years, never had any idea were it went.

Yes, at least 20 years. If I recall the Stuart used to be out back and the 40mm Bofos was out front??

I am wanting to go across OH to confirm that that many Shermas are out on display still. There are 4 or 5 in the vicinity of the turnpike exits heading east towards PA.

SR

#4: Re: Shawn: Some unconfirmed AFVs in Michigan 2 Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:13 am
    ----
"Also, the M110 at TACOM is gone off the lawn, replaced by an armored HMMWV, but they added a Stryker MGS to the collection."

MGS - the famous tank annoyer. Interesting that a never issued vehicle was released for display and not simply cut up for scrap.

#5: Re: Shawn: Some unconfirmed AFVs in Michigan 2 Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:34 am
    ----
Hey Neil,
I was going over the register and noticed that the Estral Beach Sherman is listed under the town of Newport... which is in that locale, but the Village of Estral Beach is a specific location and a different town/village, with a good 4-5 miles seperating the 2, at least, plus all the marshes and leveys in between. If someone is looking for that tank they wont find it in Newport.
SR

#6: Re: Shawn: Some unconfirmed AFVs in Michigan 2 Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:55 am
    ----
Shawn,

I doubt the light guard M48 went to private hands, not in this day and age, I noticed it was gone a few weeks ago, the whole armory looks a bit "abandoned" these days.... I was told it's part of the BRAC mess. The rumor that it moved to Custer is totally unconfirmed, just what I was told by some folks.

I moved back to the area in 88', the Roseville VFW has not had a tank since then that I can recall, used to have car shows there all the time and I would have remembered parking by a Stuart....

#7: Re: Shawn: Some unconfirmed AFVs in Michigan 2 Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:06 pm
    ----
Yeah I remember that they did that.
I meet you about that time at the IPMS meetings I believe?
SR

#8: Re: Shawn: Some unconfirmed AFVs in Michigan 2 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:53 am
    ----
- ChrisC
I was looking at the list, the VFW post in Roseville does not have any armor there, I live a few blocks from there and they have not had anything there for at least the last 20 yrs or so....

Also, the M110 at TACOM is gone off the lawn, replaced by an armored HMMWV, but they added a Stryker MGS to the collection.

The tank at the light Guard Armory is gone too, rumor was that it went to Battle Creek.

Thanks for the info... Already had Roseville off the list... That Stryker may be the only one currently on "display" - APG had one years ago (with red towing shackles), but it disappeared (presumably back into use) a few months later...

Yeah, I stopped by the armory on my trip - they said it went to Camp Custer in Augusta...

Neil

#9: Re: Shawn: Some unconfirmed AFVs in Michigan 2 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:55 am
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
"Also, the M110 at TACOM is gone off the lawn, replaced by an armored HMMWV, but they added a Stryker MGS to the collection."

MGS - the famous tank annoyer. Interesting that a never issued vehicle was released for display and not simply cut up for scrap.

Never meant to be a tank destroyer, more of a WWII StuG type assault gun - and by accounts I have heard doing well in that job in Iraq, etc. Tank killing is a secondary capability...

Neil

#10: Re: Shawn: Some unconfirmed AFVs in Michigan 2 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:57 am
    ----
- SHAWN
Hey Chris,

I havent seen the T23 in years, never had any idea were it went.

SR

The T23 went back to Knox - Dontos has posted pics of it...

Neil

#11: Re: Shawn: Some unconfirmed AFVs in Michigan 2 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:00 am
    ----
Shawn,
I'm not familiar with the Maybee M55... Is that the same one that used to be at TACOM by chance?

Can you provide any location details?

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board