Need 64 bit info...
-> Software

#1: Need 64 bit info... Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:04 pm
    ----
-S-

I am thinking of going to a 64 bit XP system to use more ram. I have a 42 bit OP operating sytem now and am limited to 3 gigs of ram. If any one is running a 64 bit system, do you know if there are any issues with the following games that I play..

IL-2 1946
FS 2004
FS X with accel pack
COD 4
COD 5
Fear
Fear 2
MOH Airborne
Farcry
Farcry 2
Half Life 2
GTR 2

and DVD Shrink 3.2

Hammer Smile Cool Smile Cool Smile

#2: Re: Need 64 bit info... Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:19 pm
    ----
Be careful as a lot of programs are not compatible with 64 bit. Maybe your best bet would to wait for Windows 7 to be released as I was told it would take advantage of the more ram. I understand from a few on CC that Windows 7 is a lot more stable and faster than Vista ever thought about being Cool . Without searching it out I think it due out fairly soon. So buy all your ram and install 3 gigs or less for 32 bit XP and when 7 comes out upgrade and install the rest of your ram Laughing . I hope this info is correct but I'm sure if it is not someone will correct me Mr. Green !

#3: Re: Need 64 bit info... Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:55 pm
    ----
Get the windows 7 RC1 64 bit version, you'll have a ball.

DO NOT go for the XP 64 bit that's a PITA non plus ultra !!

#4: Re: Need 64 bit info... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:46 pm
    ----
In a 32bit system, Windows will only recognise about 3.25 Gb of RAM.
64bit windows (I'm gonna hate myself for saying this....) Vista included (THERE! I tole you I would!) will use much more.
Not sure what the limit actually is for 64 bit but I regularly speak to folks using 8Gb so you'll be safe that high, then ask again.

I've no idea whether the software you list is compatable but I "would have thought so" (this phrase releases me from any legal liability / responsibility) as it's more applicable to the operating system and hardware.

#5: Re: Need 64 bit info... Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:32 pm
    ----
With the W7RC1 64bit all proggies will work, right click the exe and set it to the original windows version that it was made for and pronto, bob's your uncle, absolutely no sweat.

I tought I'd never say it, but this time around M$ really seems to have done their homework as they should Shocked

#6: Re: Need 64 bit info... Author: horseman88 PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:22 am
    ----
yeah, I myself am waiting on 7, and avoiding vista at all costs :D, besides i'm still in the dark ages with my 32 bit XP haha

#7: Re: Need 64 bit info... Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:36 pm
    ----
-S-

Thanks for the advise, I think I will stick to the 32 bit XP and get the extra ram for windows 7..XP is such a stable system..dont even want to touch Vista....

Hammer Smile Cool Smile Cool Smile

-> Software